Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

Re: SC: eradicate smallpox [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 15:28
I went with A..but I understand why C is the correct answer. Thanks for the explanations.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 166

Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 00:51
Thanks for all yr explanations! I marked A , but now I got it ..

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: eradicate smallpox [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 00:18
gmattokyo wrote:
I got stumped by this Q in a mock test and see that the OA hasn't been posted here. It is C. bsd_lover has it right

here is an explanation from mgmat staff in their website (though I don't think I'll get this kind of SC right if given again ;-) )

the 'what' construction is problematic in this sentence, because, in general, 'what' conveys a sense of exclusivity / uniqueness. 'what they had not considered possible' implies that there is only one thing satisfying that description, in contrast to 'something...' which admits the possibility of many other such things.
....AND
the biggest bugbear in choice a is the word 'the', which creates an image of a definite set of other infections.

Wow, never knew about these rules. Changes the meaning of the sentence quite a bit. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 29

Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 08:02
why is past perfect a correct choice over here
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 488 [3] , given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

a) what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

'the other' is redundant. 'such infections' implies other infections.

b) what they had not previously considered a possibility - a better control, if not eradication of such infections like

the indefinite article 'a' is not necessary. 'such...like' is not idiomatic. Should be 'such as.'

c) something they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

Maintains original meaning of sentence, and uses correct construction 'such...as.'

d) something they had previously thought impossible - better prevention, if not eradication, of

By omitting the 'such...as' the meaning of the sentence changes. No the sentence focuses only on measles and yaws. The 'such as' broadens the scope of infections.

e) what was previously not considered possible, eradication, if not a better control of infections such as

Requires either a colon or a dash, instead of a comma, before eradication. The 'a' is unnecessary.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Current Student
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 18

Re: SC: eradicate smallpox [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 22:08
suchoudh wrote:
That's the reason I hate GMAT. No matter however much you study, GMAT will bowl you some absolute bouncers that have nothing to do with the main areas of study.

I feel ya. I could study PS and SC for an entire year and I'd still get owned on test day. This one would have got me.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 314 [1] , given: 543

Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to
pursue what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as
B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections like
C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections as
D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as
E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible – better control and possibly eradication of infections like

The question posted here has incorrect options. I'm curious about option D

"something not considered a previous possibility" this distorts the meaning of the sentence? Can someone explain the errors in D thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 327

CAT Tests
Re: SC: eradicate smallpox [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 07:12
gorupruthi wrote:
UtterNonsense wrote:
gorupruthi wrote:
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

a) what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

b) what they had not previously considered a possibility - a better control, if not eradication of such infections like

c) something they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

d) something they had previously thought impossible-better prevention,if not eradication, of

e) what was previously not considered possible, eradication, if not a better control of infections such as

I got the same Question but with diff. "D" option in Gmat prep.
D) Something not considered a previous possibility-better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

Is thr anything wrong in choosing D now. ?
as THE OTHER error is not present also "What " is nt thr.

in the option D above, "such as" is missing.

I had a option D) as follows.....which is having such as......
D) Something not considered a previous possibility-better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

please clarify.......

It changes the meaning. The earlier sentence said the experts didn't consider a possibility which is at least better control if not eradication. Option D) states that better control and perhaps eradication later.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests
Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 08:45
prasannar wrote:

d) something they had previously thought impossible-better prevention,if not eradication, of

First,
Whenever we use a past participle, here had not considered, the time frame of the 2 sentences should be in past and participle is used with the sentence which happened earlier .

So here is it correct to use part participle as what they had not previously considered possible is the only sentence. Will it be correct to use what they did not previously considered possible.

Second,
Why is the usage of what wrong in the sentence construction, experts want to pursue that specific thing which lead to the success of the program

So, what is correctly used.

Third,
Why is the below construction wrong?
-better control of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

Experts want to better the control of other infection for eg M and Y. Why is it wrong?
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 0 [5] , given: 43

Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 23 May 2014, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
I am not clear between A and D. Please explain. Kudos to any1 who does so fairly good.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [2] , given: 327

CAT Tests
Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 23 May 2014, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
rishi081992 wrote:
I am not clear between A and D. Please explain. Kudos to any1 who does so fairly good.

Not discussing B) and E) Options

What is a very strong word and it is used to represent a very specific idea.

I will do what I think is right. - > I know what is the right thing to do and nothing else can be right. May be doing an MBA.

Something can be general things or you are not sure of. As per the sentence "it is better control, if not eradication" -> Still the author is not decided. Hence usage of "what" is incorrect.

Usage of "the" is again very specific. I want to write with "The" pen. I am going to write with "the" pen. May be the pen is lucky to me and I am going to write only with the pen and not any other pen.

As per the sentence any other disease is meant by the author and not "The"

Hence incorrect.

Something usage is correct here.

The usage of both "prevention" and "of" changes the meaning of the original sentence.

of makes it very specific but per the original sentence, of other diseases such as.

Hence incorrect.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

Manager
Manager
Schools: YLP '18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 10:32
In option C
Why is "that" not mentioned before "they"?
Isn't that necessary?
Thanks.
:-D
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 210

The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 12:56
qwerty12321 wrote:
In option C
Why is "that" not mentioned before "they"?
Isn't that necessary?
Thanks.
:-D

Version of this question is quite different from the one in following screenshot-- specially option D.

http://postimg.org/image/4hun0yh2j/

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2014, 12:56