Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2015, 23:06
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2011
Posts: 38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: SC: Oil Supply [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 18:01
fanatico wrote:
E

Between D and E I used below logic:

<noun> has become a consideration. To represent a noun in a phrase the best way is to use a "that" phrase. If we do not use "that" we don't know what has become a consideration - is it the supply of oil/being finite/supply of oil being finite


Does anyone know where Fanatico got this information from? I would like to look into this so that I can better understand why we use "That" to start the sentence off. I originally chose D and was skeptical about E at first due to it sounding awkward with "that."
Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 275

Re: The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 09:07
Thank U VeritasPrepBrian... !!!

Ur explanation has enhanced my knowledge.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 478
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 9

Re: The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 10:35
BDSunDevil wrote:
whats wrong with B? Can someone please explain.


The word economical
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4567
Followers: 488

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 07:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4567
Followers: 488

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2014, 07:43
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 179
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 12

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2015, 21:21
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey everyone,

Looks like this thread is a real blast from the past - 4 years old! Like the World Cup, though, I think it makes sense to bring it back up every even-numbered-but-not-divisible-by-4th year!

To add to the "be wary of the word 'being'" mentality, let me show you why it's not a great word choice here (and how it fits into the well-known GMAT error hierarchy):

"Being" is the present-tense form of the verb "to be"; you'd use it when something is currently (but not always) happening:

My daughter is being a brat. ---> That's correct; she's not ALWAYS a brat, but is just being that way right now.

Being female, my daughter... ---> That's not correct. She's not temporarily "being" female - she just "is" female.
As a female, my daughter... ----> That's correct, a way of restating the previous modifier to make logical sense.




Now, as far as this question, the difference between D and E is that D says:

The supply of oil being finite...

and E says:

That the supply of oil is finite

Is the finite supply a temporary thing? No - "finite" is a permanent condition; if it were to become "infinite" than the original classification of "finite" is completely wrong. "Finite" is an essence thing...it either is or it isn't, but that won't change (much like using "ser" instead of "estar" in Spanish - "ser" is a permanent, essence-based condition; "estar", with its potential for change, is the "being" form of "to be").

So D is DEFINITELY wrong - not because "being" is awkward or less preferred...because it's in an illogical, incorrect verb tense here. That's why E is correct.


HI,

Could you please explain when we can use being. I have seen most of the time it is wrong in GMAT.

It would be really great help if you can provide your comments on this.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2015
Posts: 257
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 52

CAT Tests
Re: The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2015, 00:53
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey everyone,

Looks like this thread is a real blast from the past - 4 years old! Like the World Cup, though, I think it makes sense to bring it back up every even-numbered-but-not-divisible-by-4th year!

To add to the "be wary of the word 'being'" mentality, let me show you why it's not a great word choice here (and how it fits into the well-known GMAT error hierarchy):

"Being" is the present-tense form of the verb "to be"; you'd use it when something is currently (but not always) happening:

My daughter is being a brat. ---> That's correct; she's not ALWAYS a brat, but is just being that way right now.

Being female, my daughter... ---> That's not correct. She's not temporarily "being" female - she just "is" female.
As a female, my daughter... ----> That's correct, a way of restating the previous modifier to make logical sense.



Now, as far as this question, the difference between D and E is that D says:

The supply of oil being finite...

and E says:

That the supply of oil is finite

Is the finite supply a temporary thing? No - "finite" is a permanent condition; if it were to become "infinite" than the original classification of "finite" is completely wrong. "Finite" is an essence thing...it either is or it isn't, but that won't change (much like using "ser" instead of "estar" in Spanish - "ser" is a permanent, essence-based condition; "estar", with its potential for change, is the "being" form of "to be").

So D is DEFINITELY wrong - not because "being" is awkward or less preferred...because it's in an illogical, incorrect verb tense here. That's why E is correct.


Thanks for the explanation man was really confused wd this one!!
_________________

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 59

Re: The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2015, 00:57
A,B,C eliminated for the word economical.

D v/s E

D uses a passive voice due to inclusion of the word being. Hence, eliminate D..

E wins
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 59

Re: The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2015, 01:06
PathFinder007 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey everyone,

Looks like this thread is a real blast from the past - 4 years old! Like the World Cup, though, I think it makes sense to bring it back up every even-numbered-but-not-divisible-by-4th year!

To add to the "be wary of the word 'being'" mentality, let me show you why it's not a great word choice here (and how it fits into the well-known GMAT error hierarchy):

"Being" is the present-tense form of the verb "to be"; you'd use it when something is currently (but not always) happening:

My daughter is being a brat. ---> That's correct; she's not ALWAYS a brat, but is just being that way right now.

Being female, my daughter... ---> That's not correct. She's not temporarily "being" female - she just "is" female.
As a female, my daughter... ----> That's correct, a way of restating the previous modifier to make logical sense.




Now, as far as this question, the difference between D and E is that D says:

The supply of oil being finite...

and E says:

That the supply of oil is finite

Is the finite supply a temporary thing? No - "finite" is a permanent condition; if it were to become "infinite" than the original classification of "finite" is completely wrong. "Finite" is an essence thing...it either is or it isn't, but that won't change (much like using "ser" instead of "estar" in Spanish - "ser" is a permanent, essence-based condition; "estar", with its potential for change, is the "being" form of "to be").

So D is DEFINITELY wrong - not because "being" is awkward or less preferred...because it's in an illogical, incorrect verb tense here. That's why E is correct.


HI,

Could you please explain when we can use being. I have seen most of the time it is wrong in GMAT.

It would be really great help if you can provide your comments on this.

Thanks


If I may, the difference between Active voice and Passive voice is of utmost importance. As I learnt from Grammar Girl(the blog),

We won the game - Active. The game was won by us - passive

he kicked me - active. I was kicked by him - passive.

In fact, the examples given by grammar girl are great. I'll modify that a bit. Imagine you are to convey your love to someone. Would you say "I love you" or would say "You are loved by me"?

Hence, when it comes to selecting between active and passive voices, always go with active voice. Search for "active passive grammar girl". A good explanation should be seen by you (passive :P).

As further explained by the Grammar Girl quickanddirtytips[dot]com[slash]education[slash]grammar[slash]active-voice-versus-passive-voice?page=1

Another important point is that passive sentences aren't incorrect; it’s just that they often aren't the best way to phrase your thoughts. Sometimes passive voice is awkward and other times it’s vague. Also, passive voice is usually wordy, so you can tighten your writing if you replace passive sentences with active sentence.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 110
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 36

The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2015, 16:49
A, B, and C are out because "economical" is the wrong word - it means affordable.

(D) The supply of oil being finite has become an economic...

D is out because "being" is used inappropriately. It's neither a noun nor in the passive progressive tense doing something, e.g. "We are being treated to dinner, because we helped to paint the house."
The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2015, 16:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and tarek99 7 06 Dec 2007, 05:52
The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and bmwhype2 4 18 Jun 2007, 13:19
The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and remgeo 5 25 Apr 2006, 06:36
The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and willget800 10 16 Feb 2006, 17:28
The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and macca 3 14 Sep 2005, 04:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The supply of oil being finite has become an economical and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.