Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Supreme Courts concern with legitimacy is not for the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

The Supreme Courts concern with legitimacy is not for the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 21:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The Supreme Court’s concern with legitimacy is not for the sake of the court [u]but the nation to which it is responsible.[/u]
(A) but the nation to which it is responsible
(B) but for the sake of the nation to which it is responsible
(C) so much as the nation it is responsible to
(D) as the nation it is responsible to
(E) but the nation

Any thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 21:35
B

not for ................but for
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 23:26
I also chose (B), because all the other answer choices are awful! However, I wasn't sure about the use of the pronoun "it"..

"...but the nation to which [b]it[/b] is responsible"

What is [b]"it"[/b] refering to? It cannot refer to "the supreme court's concern"...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 00:06
querio wrote:
I also chose (B), because all the other answer choices are awful! However, I wasn't sure about the use of the pronoun "it"..

"...but the nation to which it is responsible"

What is "it" refering to? It cannot refer to "the supreme court's concern"...

I think it refers to "concern". Why it cannot??? Pls explain.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 01:00
[quote="pboonsook"][quote="querio"]I also chose (B), because all the other answer choices are awful! However, I wasn't sure about the use of the pronoun "it"..

"...but the nation to which [b]it[/b] is responsible"

What is [b]"it"[/b] refering to? It cannot refer to "the supreme court's concern"...[/quote]

I think it refers to "concern". Why it cannot??? Pls explain.[/quote]

Can the "concern" (="it") be responsible for a nation? I can't get it...
Initially, I thought that "it" was refering to the "Supreme Court", but this is not possible since we have a possesive subject "Supreme Court's concern". Therefore, we cannot use "it" to refer to something (preceding subject) that has never been mentioned. I am puzzled with this question!
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 06:16
Straight B for me.

Not for A, but for B is the right format.

Anand
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 06:19
querio wrote:
Can the "concern" (="it") be responsible for a nation? I can't get it...
Initially, I thought that "it" was refering to the "Supreme Court", but this is not possible since we have a possesive subject "Supreme Court's concern". Therefore, we cannot use "it" to refer to something (preceding subject) that has never been mentioned. I am puzzled with this question!

I cannot give you a grammatical explanation. However, consider the following.

"Since Peter's parrot flew away, he was sad." Who do you think the "he" refers to in this sentence.

Does that make sense?

Anand
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 06:52
[quote="anandsebastin"][quote="querio"]Can the "concern" (="it") be responsible for a nation? I can't get it...
Initially, I thought that "it" was refering to the "Supreme Court", but this is not possible since we have a possesive subject "Supreme Court's concern". Therefore, we cannot use "it" to refer to something (preceding subject) that has never been mentioned. I am puzzled with this question![/quote]

[color=darkblue]I cannot give you a grammatical explanation. However, consider the following.

"Since Peter's parrot flew away, he was sad." Who do you think the "he" refers to in this sentence.

Does that make sense?

Anand[/color][/quote]

thanks buddy, it does make sense for me, but it is considered incorrect on the GMAT! As far as know, possessive pronouns (their, his, her, my, etc...) can refer to possessive nouns ("Peter's parrot")... In your example, the subject pronoun "he" (subject pronouns: I, you, he, she, ...) cannot refer to a possessive pronoun, as it is grammatically incorrect!
Any other ideas?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 08:10
B says:

The Supreme CourtтАЩs concern with legitimacy is not for the sake of the court but for the sake of the nation to which it is responsible.

So,'it' has a reference to 'court' not concern.

Makes sense??
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 11:11
[b]OA[/b] is B

thanks for the discussion!

vineetgupta, it's clear now! thanks!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 14:41
ideally the answer should have been The Supreme CourtтАЩs concern with legitimacy is not for the sake of the court, but for the sake of the nation to which the supreme court is responsible.

but that option is not available which should have cleared the confusion of ""it"" refering to possesive noun.

as the best answer its B , where ""it"" refers to the implied Supreme court, as correctly mentioned by vineet gupta.""
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2007, 02:49
vineetgupta wrote:
B says:

The Supreme CourtтАЩs concern with legitimacy is not for the sake of the court but for the sake of the nation to which it is responsible.

Makes sense??

Excellent explanation.

However I am still a bit confused. Normally for pronouns we understand that the the pronoun must be spaced as closely to the noun it modifies as possible.

What happens if between the Noun and its pronoun some other NOUNS are interspersed. Wouldn't the relation be affected?

For example in the choice B, why can't IT point to NATION? Even though I know it points to Court - however the noun closest to IT is NATION. Is it because LOGICALLY, it doesn't make sense for IT to point to NATION?

Please help!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2007, 07:35
dwivedys wrote:
vineetgupta wrote:
B says:

Makes sense??

Excellent explanation.

However I am still a bit confused. Normally for pronouns we understand that the the pronoun must be spaced as closely to the noun it modifies as possible.

What happens if between the Noun and its pronoun some other NOUNS are interspersed. Wouldn't the relation be affected?

For example in the choice B, why can't IT point to NATION? Even though I know it points to Court - however the noun closest to IT is NATION. Is it because LOGICALLY, it doesn't make sense for IT to point to NATION?

Please help!

Phew...good question...I am sure if I can answer that I am sure to hit a 100% accuracy in the SCs :) ...but I have the same problem with Pronouns...I searched a lot on Google to clear my pronoun reference...but no luck.

I think you have to look for a logical antecedent and not the nearest one...any thoughts??

Any advice will really help.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2007, 07:49
Quote:
I think you have to look for a logical antecedent and not the nearest one...any thoughts??

Right..that's the best bet...but can't say if this holds water grammatically.

From Strunk's elements of Style - I have realized that proximity holds key and in case there's a doubt - rephrase - something which we can't do on the GMAT.

Any other thoughts?

The fur coat that James wore at the party which was expensive became the talk of the town.

Logically, WHICH WAS EXPENSIVE must point to Fur Coat. From Grammar rules - it is pointing to "the party". What do we do???

Obviously a simple device which converts the clause (which was expensive) into a simple PHRASE (expensive) will solve the problem -

the expenisve furt coat that james wore at the party became the talk of the town...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 09:34
dwivedys wrote:
vineetgupta wrote:
B says:

Makes sense??

Excellent explanation.

Please help!

Well 'it' can refer to nation because which is a relative pronoun and it addresses the nearest noun.

But this sentence confuses me. frist of all the statement says that concern is not for the sake of the court but for the sake of the nation.. but court and nation are the objects of the noun sake....?? can somebody explain this connundrum.

Javed.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 12:12
straight B. However I am also confused with the use of 'it' .
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Supreme Court's concern [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 22:04
querio wrote:
The Supreme Court's concern with legitimacy is not for the sake of the court but the nation to which it is responsible.

(A) but the nation to which it is responsible
(B) but for the sake of the nation to which it is responsible
(C) so much as the nation it is responsible to
(D) as the nation it is responsible to
(E) but the nation

Any thoughts?

i think "it" refers to "the supreme court" not "court".
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 08:48
100% B........ :-D

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

[#permalink] 16 May 2007, 08:48