Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 04:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [4] , given: 0

The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (02:35) correct 47% (01:55) wrong based on 303 sessions
Attachment:
Candidates.png
Candidates.png [ 18.87 KiB | Viewed 8610 times ]
The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters who each responded "Favorable" or "Unfavorable" or "Not Sure" when asked about their impressions of Candidate M and of Candidate N. What was the number of voters who responded "Favorable" for both candidates?

(1) The number of voters who did not respond "Favorable" for either candidate was 40.
(2) The number of voters who responded "Unfavorable" for both candidates was 10.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3360

Kudos [?]: 24350 [10] , given: 2677

Re: What is the result [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters who each responded "Favorable" or "Unfavorable" or "Not Sure" when asked about their impressions of Candidate M and of Candidate N. What was the number of voters who responded "Favorable" for both candidates?

Voters responded favorable for at least one candidates = 40+30-x = 70-x (x represent the # of voters who responded favorable for both candidates)

(1) The number of voters who did not respond “favorable” for either candidate was 40 --> The voters responded favorable for at least one 100-40=60=70-x --> x=10. Sufficient.

(2) The number of voters who responded “unfavorable” for both candidates was 10. Clearly not sufficient.

Answer A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: What is the result [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 16:58
Can someone explain this problem using a venn diagram or an overlapping sets chart? I understand why 1 is SUFF but am currently struggling to understand why 2 is insuff. Much appreciated!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 02:20
How to solve this using 3X3 matrix? and how to solve this using venn diagram formula (M or N) = (M )+ (N )- (M and N)...please explain in detail??? Also, what does statement 1 mean ??and how can it be represented in 3x3 matrix?
Attachment:
img.doc [27.5 KiB]
Downloaded 287 times
To download please login or register as a user

The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters each responded “favorable” or “unfavorable” or “not sure” when asked about their impressions of candidate M and of candidate N.

What was the number of voters who responded “favorable” for both candidates?

(1) The number of voters who did not respond “favorable” for either candidate was 40.

(2) The number of voters who responded “unfavorable” for both candidates was 10.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 104 [2] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
siddhans wrote:
How to solve this using 3X3 matrix? and how to solve this using venn diagram formula (M or N) = (M )+ (N )- (M and N)...please explain in detail??? Also, what does statement 1 mean ??and how can it be represented in 3x3 matrix?
Attachment:
img.doc

The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters each responded “favorable” or “unfavorable” or “not sure” when asked about their impressions of candidate M and of candidate N.

(1) The number of voters who did not respond “favorable” for either candidate was 40.

(2) The number of voters who responded “unfavorable” for both candidates was 10.

A.
No of voters who dint respond favourable = 40
this mean people who responded favourable are 100-40 = 60
therefore No. of people who responded fav for both are 40+30-60 = 10

B not sufficient.
7 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 650 [7] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The table above shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 04:17
This post received
KUDOS
siddhans wrote:

A lot of the information in the table just serves as a distraction here. The first column of the table gives us a standard 2-circle Venn diagram: those people who like M, those people who like N, and those people who like both. We want to know how many like both. If we know exactly how many people are in our diagram (i.e. how many people responded 'favourable' to at least one candidate), we can answer that question. Statement 1 tells us that 40 of the 100 people are *not* in our diagram, so 60 people must be in the diagram, and that info is sufficient. I can't draw a Venn diagram here, but I'd fill it in as follows:

Favorable for M only: 40 - x
Favorable for both M and N: x
Favorable for N only: 30 - x

From Statement 1 I know these three quantities add to 60, which gives me one equation in one unknown.

Statement 2 doesn't tell you how many people are in the diagram, so is not sufficient.

As for your question about using a 'matrix' or 'formula' here, I wouldn't consider doing either.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the result [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 12:30
I had trouble to understand this table, bc it says that they asked 100 people, but we have 200 answers.

Can someone please explain me that?

thanks.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 81 [3] , given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the result [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
we are seeing 200 responses because each voter casted two votes , one for each candidate.

i.e 1 voter - 2 votes
100 voters - 200 votes

1. Sufficient

NF+NS = 40

F = 100 - 40 = 60

Assume this F as big overlapping set and now look at the each individual values of this set from the table.

i.e 40+30 - both = F total = 60

=> both = 10

2. not sufficient

because we only know about NF. we dont know anything about the NS and hence we cannot calculate both with the given info.

Answer is A.

144144 wrote:
I had trouble to understand this table, bc it says that they asked 100 people, but we have 200 answers.

Can someone please explain me that?

thanks.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 02:27
Can someone please explain why (1) is sufficient? What I don't understand is this:

We know that 100 people took a survey. From the statement "The number of voters who did not respond “Favorable” for either candidate was 40" we can conclude that 100-40=60 people responded either favorable for at least one or responded unsure. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks a lot.
Director
Director

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 02:52
OK. I solved my previous question. But there's one more:

(1) 40+30=70 is the number of people who responded favorable for at least one candidate.
(2) 70-x is the number of people who responded favorable for exactly one candidate.
(3) 100-40=60 is the number of people who responded favorable for at least one candidate.

What I don't understand is that in (1) we got 70, and in (2) we got 60 for the number of people who responded favorable for at least one candidate. The solution by Bunuel would make sense if 60 was the number of people who responded favorable for exactly one candidate.

I would appreciate if someone could explain.

Thanks a lot.
Director
Director

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 04:31
I think I got it figured out. In 30+40 we have counted the intersection (M&&N) twice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 18:21
That's the toughest question from OG12!

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V44

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 10:40

Now that I know what I need, I can condense the Table as such: a is our target
Favorable M Un/NS M Total
Favorable N a) c) 30
Un/NS N b) d 70
Total 40 60 100

(1) Sufficient (Fill out table if your still unsure)
(2) Does not help us a subset of d) so insuff.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 181

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 15:25
still cannot understand ... any body can present a matrix please ? thanks in advance

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4771 [4] , given: 163

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheNona wrote:
still cannot understand ... any body can present a matrix please ? thanks in advance

I am assuming you are unable to figure out why statement 1 is sufficient. Think of it this way:

(1) The number of voters who did not respond "Favorable" for either candidate was 40.

This means that 60 voters responded 'Favorable' for at least one candidate, right? Now we need to find how many responded Favorable to both.

Now forget this question and think of another sets question:

There are 60 voters in a constituency. Each voter has to vote 'favorable' for at least one of the two candidates - M and N. Candidate M gets 40 favorable votes and candidate N gets 30 favorable votes. How many voters voted 'favorable' for both the candidates?

It's an easy enough question with 2 sets. You will just use
60 = 30 + 40 - Both
Both = 10

This is exactly what is required of you in this question. Just that there is a lot of other data to distract you. You know that 60 voters voted favorable for atleast one candidate. You also know that M got 40 favorable votes and N got 30 favorable votes (from the table int he question). you just need to find the value of 'both'. Focus on what you have to find, and the given relevant info.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 181

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 06:03
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TheNona wrote:

I am assuming you are unable to figure out why statement 1 is sufficient. Think of it this way:

This means that 60 voters responded 'Favorable' for at least one candidate, right? Now we need to find how many responded Favorable to both.

Now forget this question and think of another sets question:

There are 60 voters in a constituency. Each voter has to vote 'favorable' for at least one of the two candidates - M and N. Candidate M gets 40 favorable votes and candidate N gets 30 favorable votes. How many voters voted 'favorable' for both the candidates?

It's an easy enough question with 2 sets. You will just use
60 = 30 + 40 - Both
Both = 10

This is exactly what is required of you in this question. Just that there is a lot of other data to distract you. You know that 60 voters voted favorable for atleast one candidate. You also know that M got 40 favorable votes and N got 30 favorable votes (from the table int he question). you just need to find the value of 'both'. Focus on what you have to find, and the given relevant info.

Thanks Karishma for the great explanation . In fact what I was struggling with is the insufficiency of B . Cannot understand why ?

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 4771 [4] , given: 163

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
TheNona wrote:
Thanks Karishma for the great explanation . In fact what I was struggling with is the insufficiency of B . Cannot understand why ?

Let's consider statement 2:

So this means that 90 people replied "favorable" or "not sure" to at least one of the candidates.

Also, going back to the table in the question,
Unfavorable for candidate M = 20
Unfavorable for candidate N = 35
Unfavorable for both = 10
Unfavorable for at least one = 20 + 35 - 10 = 45

So, all we know from here is the following:
1. 10 people responded "unfavorable" to both candidates
2. 35 (= 45 - 10) people responded "unfavorable to one candidate and "favorable" or "not sure" to the other.
3. 55 people responded with "favorable" or "not sure" to both the candidates.

Now we don't know the split between "favorable" and "not sure".
It is possible that 10 people responded "favorable" to both and it is also possible that that number is 15.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 12:48
I didn't see this explicitly mentioned on this thread or the OA but....

For Statement 1, is this the formula that was used??

A + B - both + neither = total

40 + 30 - X + 40 = 100

X = 10

If so, I'm confused why the total is 100 and not 70, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4771 [0], given: 163

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 19:55
Expert's post
kaji wrote:
I didn't see this explicitly mentioned on this thread or the OA but....

For Statement 1, is this the formula that was used??

A + B - both + neither = total

40 + 30 - X + 40 = 100

X = 10

If so, I'm confused why the total is 100 and not 70, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

When you are considering the set of 'neither', you must take the total 'total'.

'total' would be either 60 or 100 (and not 70 because 70 is not the number of people. It is the number of instances which includes double counting of people who favor both candidates) depending on whether you include neither or not.

A + B - Both = 60 (the total number of people who favor at least one)
30 + 40 - Both = 60
Both = 10

OR

A + B - Both + Neither = 100 (total number of people including those who favored neither candidate)
30 + 40 - Both + 40 = 100
Both = 10

Remember, in this formula, 'total' is the total number of people without any double counting.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 01:07
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TheNona wrote:

Let's consider statement 2:

So this means that 90 people replied "favorable" or "not sure" to at least one of the candidates.

Also, going back to the table in the question,
Unfavorable for candidate M = 20
Unfavorable for candidate N = 35
Unfavorable for both = 10
Unfavorable for at least one = 20 + 35 - 10 = 45

So, all we know from here is the following:
1. 10 people responded "unfavorable" to both candidates
2. 35 (= 45 - 10) people responded "unfavorable to one candidate and "favorable" or "not sure" to the other.
3. 55 people responded with "favorable" or "not sure" to both the candidates.

Now we don't know the split between "favorable" and "not sure".
It is possible that 10 people responded "favorable" to both and it is also possible that that number is 15.

I don't understand why we assume that the 90 responded "favorable" or "not sure" but concerning the first statement we say that 60 people responded "favorable" ? What about the fraction of the 60 people who responded "not sure"? Are the "not sure" people included in the 40?
Re: The table below shows the results of a survey of 100 voters   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2014, 01:07