Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 03:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (01:45) correct 51% (00:54) wrong based on 307 sessions
The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniforms, and before commencing its first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

A) and, before commencing its first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

B) and before commencing their first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

C) and before commencing their first practice, joined in a breif strategy session.

D) and, before commencing their first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

E) and, before commencing their first practice, joined in a brief strategy session.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 07:58
riderofthestorm wrote:
The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniforms, and before commencing its first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

A) and, before commencing its first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

B) and before commencing their first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

C) and before commencing their first practice, joined in a breif strategy session.

D) and, before commencing their first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

E) and, before commencing their first practice, joined in a brief strategy session.

Hi riderofthestorm,

this question is flawed. In the not underlined part "their" has no reference, it should stand for "the players", but this noun does not appear anywhere in the sentence.

I would suggest you to use reliable sources for you preparation, and to finish all the Official Question before doing other source's questions. Regards :)

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 02:35
Zarrolou wrote:

I would suggest you to use reliable sources for you preparation, and to finish all the Official Question before doing other source's questions. Regards :)

Unfortunately, I finished all of the OG Qs and I want to practice so I don't have too many options...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 01:41
it indeed is a flawed question :(
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 11:14
is it ok to place comma after and ??

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 5

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 13:56
Expert's post
PiyushK wrote:

You know, I would be surprised to see a question like this come from the GMAT. It's not grammatically incorrect to include a non-essential phrase after a coordinating conjunction (and), but there is some debate around how to punctuate a situation like that. I find it interesting that this particular problem has the comma as the single determining factor between choices C & E. It's rare to see GMAT questions come down a choice about whether to include a comma or not. On this problem it's clear that they want you to decide that this is a non-essential element and set it off by commas as in choice E, but I don't love that single, forced decision between C & E.

If anyone has seen a non-essential phrase directly after a coordinating conjunction on an official GMAT question I would love to see what punctuation the GMAT expects in that rare case.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 118

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 22:52
Zarrolou wrote:
riderofthestorm wrote:

Hi riderofthestorm,

this question is flawed. In the not underlined part "their" has no reference, it should stand for "the players", but this noun does not appear anywhere in the sentence.

Does it always have to be so mechanical..it is quite implied...I think this should be Ok on the GMAT...are u sure that this usage is incorrect on the GMAT under all circumstances...

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 40

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 23:23
KyleWiddison wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

You know, I would be surprised to see a question like this come from the GMAT. It's not grammatically incorrect to include a non-essential phrase after a coordinating conjunction (and), but there is some debate around how to punctuate a situation like that. I find it interesting that this particular problem has the comma as the single determining factor between choices C & E. It's rare to see GMAT questions come down a choice about whether to include a comma or not. On this problem it's clear that they want you to decide that this is a non-essential element and set it off by commas as in choice E, but I don't love that single, forced decision between C & E.

If anyone has seen a non-essential phrase directly after a coordinating conjunction on an official GMAT question I would love to see what punctuation the GMAT expects in that rare case.

KW

option C has been wrongly modified in here .the correct option C is : and a strategy session preceded its first practice

though i have different issue : i have a little problem with E .when ever we have a participle modifier then it should be followed by a subject that it tends to modify .so "before commencing their first practice" should be followed by a subject .this is not happening in E.
kindly comment on this
thanks and regrads
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 118

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 23:30
riderofthestorm wrote:

I am not sure as to what is a participle modifier...

But I can break the structure:

The team
1.streamed into the locker room
2.donned their uniforms
3.joined in a brief strategy session

The modifier: "before commencing their first practice" modifies the team and is placed before 3 to put more emphasis on the time frame

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 40

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 23:53
Quote:

the modifier "before commencing their first practice" is a participle modifier
Expert Post

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 14:14
Expert's post
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
riderofthestorm wrote:

Hi riderofthestorm,

Does it always have to be so mechanical..it is quite implied...I think this should be Ok on the GMAT...are u sure that this usage is incorrect on the GMAT under all circumstances...

I think this would be ok on the GMAT because using the pronoun "their" makes clear that we aren't emphasizing the team as a collective noun but rather the individual members of the team. That said, if we saw this on the GMAT I would bet that it would say "the team MEMBERS" to avoid confusion that is not core to the question itself.

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 14:19
Expert's post
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

the modifier "before commencing their first practice" is a participle modifier

I think you mean to say that "before commencing their first practice" is a prepositional modifier because "before" starts the modifying phrase and it's a preposition. Participial modifiers are started with participles. The word "commencing" might make you think it's participial, but that is where -ing verbs are tricky - they can act as modifiers, nouns and verbs. Here, "commencing" is being used as a noun.

KW

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 01:30
Is the breif vs brief spelling mistake intentional ?
Expert Post

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 14:09
Expert's post
himanshujovi wrote:
Is the breif vs brief spelling mistake intentional ?

The spelling error would not be intentional. Spelling is not a tested area on the GMAT, so any spelling errors you see in the forum would be the result of errors is copying over the words.

KW

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 137

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2014, 08:45
This is a Kaplan question. Official explanation about the "theirs" is:
"Notice, by the way, that the team, though technically singular, is construed as plural in the part of the sentence that´s not underlined; it must be constructed in the same way throughout the sentence, and this is another reason why (A), (B) and (C) are wrong.

Encourage cooperation! If this post was very useful, kudos are welcome ;)
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Expert Post

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2014, 12:04
Expert's post
Thanks for adding the explanation from Kaplan. It highlights the importance of recognizing what you are stuck with in the non-underlined portion.

KW

Posted from my mobile device Image

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2014, 12:04