Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The term "episodic memory" was introduced by Tulving to refe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

The term "episodic memory" was introduced by Tulving to refe [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 20:34
The term "episodic memory" was introduced by Tulving to refer to what he considered a uniquely human capacity, the ability to recollect specific past events, to travel back into the past in one¡¯s own mind--as distinct from the capacity simply to use information acquired through past experiences. Subsequently, Clayton et al. developed criteria to test for episodic memory in animals. According to these criteria, episodic memories are not of individual bits of information; they involve multiple components of a single event "bound" together. Clayton sought to examine evidence of scrub jays' accurate memory of "what," "where,"and "when" information and their binding of this information. In the wild, these birds store food for retrieval later during periods of food scarcity. Clayton's experiment required jays to remember the type, location, and freshness of stored food based on a unique learning event. Crickets were stored in one location and peanuts in another. Jays prefer crickets, but crickets degrade more quickly. Clayton's birds switched their preference from crickets to peanuts once the food had been stored for a certain length of time, showing that they retain information about the what, the where, and the when. Such experiments cannot, however, reveal whether the birds were experiencing the past when retrieving the information. Clayton acknowledged this by using the term "episodic-like" memory.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to
A.explain how the findings of a particular experiment have been interpreted and offer an alternative interpretation
B.describe a particular experiment and point out one of its limitations
C.present similarities between human memory and animal memory
D.point out a flaw in the argument that a certain capacity is uniquely human
E.account for the unexpected behavior of animal subjects in a particular experiment

2. According to the passage, Clayton's experiment depended on the fact that scrub jays
A.recall "when" and "where" information more distinctly than "what" information
B.are not able to retain information about a single past event for an indefinitely long period of time
C.choose peanuts over crickets when the crickets have been stored for a long period of time
D.choose crickets over peanuts whenever both are available
E.prefer peanuts that have been stored for a short period to crickets that have been stored for a short period

3. The passage suggests that Clayton's experiment demonstrated scrub jays' ability to
A.choose different storage places for different kinds of food to minimize the rate at which a food will degrade
B.unlearn a behavior they use in the wild in order to adapt to laboratory conditions
C.bind together information about different aspects of a single past event
D.reexperience a past event in memory and act accordingly
E.distinguish one learning event from a subsequent learning event

4. It can be inferred from the passage that both Tulving and Clayton would agree with which of the following statements?
A.Animals' abilities to use information about a specific past event are not conclusive evidence of episodic memory.
B.Animals do not share humans' abilities to reexperience the past through memory.
C.The accuracy of animals' memories is difficult to determine through direct experimentation.
D.Humans tend to recollect single bits of information more accurately than do animals.
E.The binding of different kinds of information is not a distinctive feature of episodic memory

Sorry, I know this passage has appeared in many threads before, I don't know I to re-thread; but I have some few burning questions in regards to the answer provided by OA.
OA: BCCA (according to GMATclub)
Now,
For the 2 question: there is source from MGMAT forum stating the answer should be D. Please confirm.
For the 4 question: Please provide explanation as I have chosen E instead of A.

Many Thanks.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 656 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The term "episodic memory" was introduced by Tulving to refe [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 21:04
1) The answer to question 2 IMO is undoubtedly "C". You might want to check the answer choices in the MGMAT source. Maybe they are in a different order over there.

2) Tulving says episodic memory is uniquely human and goes on to say that it is the ability to travel back to the past in one's own mind.
Clayton acknowledges that the experiments could not reveal whether the birds were experiencing the past.

So, it is likely that the two of them agree that animals' abilities to use information about a specific past event are not conclusive evidence of episodic memory.

The passage nowhere speaks about the distinctive features of episodic memory. It merely says that episodic memory is the ability to travel back into the past in one's own mind.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 84

Re: The term "episodic memory" was introduced by Tulving to refe [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 01:33
Hi,

Please read RC forum rules before posting...

rc-forum-rules-please-read-155874.html

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: The term "episodic memory" was introduced by Tulving to refe [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 01:20
i think BDCA. but the last question in complicated.

thanks
Re: The term "episodic memory" was introduced by Tulving to refe   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2014, 01:20