Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant [#permalink]
threestripes wrote:
Feel free to share your thoughts and feelings here. This is what this thread is here for. :) And in case you haven't noticed, I think we are pretty similar as far as how we perceive the application experience.

Yes, I think so too, and that's probably what pushed me into sharing in the first place :)

Thanks again for sharing and providing such thoughtful insights into your whole experience.

Just a thought that goes beyond the admission/MBA experience:
In my opinion, the first principle you stated, "You are never too old to start wanting something new so bad", should always apply in life, even if you're 50,60 or 70. It's something I'm deeply convinced of.
I've heard a lot of people, even someone close to me, repeating the old refrain "I'm too old now to (...)". Unless you've got a health condition that impairs you, I don't really see the point in giving up beforehand.
I've seen many people fall into apathy because they started to believe they won't "fit" into something new or different, thus negating themselves the possibility of getting passionate about something again.

This experience I've been living reinforced my belief that no matter your age or situation, there isn't a 100% true excuse to giving up to reluctance. Sure, challenges get tougher with age (true for both life and MBA admission processes), but anyone should at least try to imagine themselves 20 years older: if you suspect that a "20-years older you" will wonder "what if..." with a bit of regret, then you've got no excuses.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant [#permalink]
Firebringer wrote:
threestripes wrote:
Feel free to share your thoughts and feelings here. This is what this thread is here for. :) And in case you haven't noticed, I think we are pretty similar as far as how we perceive the application experience.

Yes, I think so too, and that's probably what pushed me into sharing in the first place :)

Thanks again for sharing and providing such thoughtful insights into your whole experience.

Just a thought that goes beyond the admission/MBA experience:
In my opinion, the first principle you stated, "You are never too old to start wanting something new so bad", should always apply in life, even if you're 50,60 or 70. It's something I'm deeply convinced of.
I've heard a lot of people, even someone close to me, repeating the old refrain "I'm too old now to (...)". Unless you've got a health condition that impairs you, I don't really see the point in giving up beforehand.
I've seen many people fall into apathy because they started to believe they won't "fit" into something new or different, thus negating themselves the possibility of getting passionate about something again.

This experience I've been living reinforced my belief that no matter your age or situation, there isn't a 100% true excuse to giving up to reluctance. Sure, challenges get tougher with age (true for both life and MBA admission processes), but anyone should at least try to imagine themselves 20 years older: if you suspect that a "20-years older you" will wonder "what if..." with a bit of regret, then you've got no excuses.

I'm always glad to share. I'm not one to broadcast anything to the whole world, but I felt that it was absolutely necessary for somebody with my stats to create this thread so that more people with mediocre stats would continue to shoot for the stars. Granted not everybody will succeed, but it never hurts to try.

I totally agree. If you want something so bad, you will find a way to succeed. This is why I really loved the Emirates' "When was the last time you did something for the first time?" campaign years ago. It doesn't focus entirely on passion, but it still speaks of people doing new things because they can (and should)!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3QYuSHz6Dk[/youtube]

Just a teaser, but I believe at least a new story will be posted here by the end of the day... Can't wait!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps [#permalink]
Dude this is amazing and just a great story man.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Your story is truly inspirational. I was waiting for you to post the part V to say that.
Thanks for writing this post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
Thank you for sharing your experience :) I recall another thread about applicants who are 30 years or older that I thought is appropriate to share here as well:

-https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-in-early-30s-112215.html

Depending on the result of my application (only apply to 1 school in 2nd round), I sort of feel the itch to share my story as well :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Super helpful points, you are a gem Threestars. Especially loved this pointer:

"Quantify, quantify, quantify! The best way to illustrate your impact to your company’s operations is to let them know how many people you have managed, or the dollar amount that your group earned over a certain time frame, or the percentage of increase in a certain process’s efficiency because you took the initiative to research on how to make things better."

I've been wondering how to show that impact and this makes the most sense.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
Super helpful points, you are a gem Threestars. Especially loved this pointer:

"Quantify, quantify, quantify! The best way to illustrate your impact to your company’s operations is to let them know how many people you have managed, or the dollar amount that your group earned over a certain time frame, or the percentage of increase in a certain process’s efficiency because you took the initiative to research on how to make things better."

I've been wondering how to show that impact and this makes the most sense.

Thanks, Aximili85. I'm glad that you thought so highly of my essay that you decided to change my name to Threestars. :P

Please feel free to continue posting here if you have any other questions or concerns.

P.S. I took a 30-second break to post this. Now, it's time to watch the Giants-49ers OT! Let's go Giants!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Threestripes! haha, my apologies for that!
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
That was a story that touched me. I think you are underplaying your exceptional story telling skills which actually might have been the clincher for you in securing the adcom's approval.
Inspiring stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Awesome post threestripes. Normally when i see the post this long, I move on. But for your post, I kept coming back to read more. Really thanks for writing. Inspiring stuff.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
threestripes, thank you so much for writing this all out. After staring at the graphs on school app threads, reading the profile evaluations on poetsandquants, and just seeing countless 750/3.8/Ivy profiles, its great to see something like this. Although my gpa is 3.32, its from an unknown school, and I've been fighting with myself over weather to even apply to any top 15s, and just assume that I'm destined for a region school.

This is really coming at a perfect time, as I start to whittle down where to apply for next year, and plan where I'll be dragging the fiancée on road trips for visits. Fuqua is quickly rising up the list, and if the students I interact with on campus are as passionate about the program as you are, I have a feeling it'll also be on top of my list.

Thanks again, so many great tips!

Good luck this fall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
threestripes,

I am completely inspired by your experience!!!

I, myself, am currently in the third quadrant. I have taken the GMAT once and received a score of 610 (V31/Q44/AWA6.0). My undergraduate GPA was 2.91, with an overall upwards trend and an average GPA of about 3.6 in the last two years. As if that isn't bad enough, I am 30 years old without any significant work experience. I worked a few jobs for a few years right out of high school, then enrolled in college at the age of 25 to complete my BA in Art History. (And yes, this means I do not have classwork completed in business or finance).

I am scheduled to retake the GMAT in May. I'm hoping, praying, crossing my fingers... whatever it takes... that I will score above 700. I'm really going to focus most of my studying on the Verbal, since I did so poorly. :(

My dream school, at this point, is Marshall (USC) because I don't want to be too disappointed if I were to aim too high. I would even be jumping for joy if I was admitted at Merage (UCI - where I attended undergrad). Honestly though, I would love to go to Fuqua or Tepper. I am just terrified that with my low GPA, low GMAT (which won't be as low after the retake), age, and lack of substantial work experience, I'm just chasing an unattainable dream by trying to pursue an MBA degree.

I hope that next year, at this time, I will have a similar story to share! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Hi elleesie! I know I'm not threestripes, but I am an older applicant with a low GPA (2.7). I'm 31 (will be 32 at matriculation) and was admitted to Kellogg in R1. You can definitely get into the schools you are aiming for. You are on the right track by retaking the GMAT. While a 700+ GMAT will definitely help, it's not the end all and be all. Even if you got a 680 you'd still be in a much improved position.

As for your work experience, thinking quality over quantity. You graduated college later so obviously you won't have the 7-8 years of experience that other 30 year old candidates have. Depending on your employer and professional achievements you might even be stronger than a lot of candidates with more years of experience. I don't know your full story but I do think that you should aim as high as you want. You may get denied or waitlisted at Fuqua or Tepper but you'll definitely never get in if you don't apply.

Hi cheeterah! Congratulations on getting into Kellogg and thank you for your encouragement!!

I have been so inspired by this thread knowing that while I do have an uphill battle ahead of me, getting accepted to a great program isn't impossible. I am not afraid of the hard work I need to put in studying for the GMAT... in fact, I welcome it!

I will own the GMAT... I will apply confidently to great programs... I will get in! (and, I will repeat this mantra to myself, everyday!) :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
elleesie wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Hi elleesie! I know I'm not threestripes, but I am an older applicant with a low GPA (2.7). I'm 31 (will be 32 at matriculation) and was admitted to Kellogg in R1. You can definitely get into the schools you are aiming for. You are on the right track by retaking the GMAT. While a 700+ GMAT will definitely help, it's not the end all and be all. Even if you got a 680 you'd still be in a much improved position.

As for your work experience, thinking quality over quantity. You graduated college later so obviously you won't have the 7-8 years of experience that other 30 year old candidates have. Depending on your employer and professional achievements you might even be stronger than a lot of candidates with more years of experience. I don't know your full story but I do think that you should aim as high as you want. You may get denied or waitlisted at Fuqua or Tepper but you'll definitely never get in if you don't apply.

Hi cheeterah! Congratulations on getting into Kellogg and thank you for your encouragement!!

I have been so inspired by this thread knowing that while I do have an uphill battle ahead of me, getting accepted to a great program isn't impossible. I am not afraid of the hard work I need to put in studying for the GMAT... in fact, I welcome it!

I will own the GMAT... I will apply confidently to great programs... I will get in! (and, I will repeat this mantra to myself, everyday!) :)

Hi elleesie,

I am glad that this thread has inspired you. This is why I shared my story, and I look forward to reading your story soon. :)

In my opinion, your GPA and age can definitely be addressed. So long as you focus on the upward trend of your GPA and the 3.6 in the last two years, you should be okay. My upward trend was a 3.1 in my senior year, but I still got in. As for your age, you really just have to be able to explain why you feel you need to go back to school at this stage in your life. You can definitely say that you weren't ready a couple of years ago, so you decided to wait a while so you could gain more experience that would help you contribute more in class now.

As for the GMAT, I absolutely support your decision to retake the test. The great thing about the GMAT's verbal portion is that it can be studied. Don't completely ignore the quant concepts though as I believe that with enough effort, one can get a raw score of at least a 46 in Q. While a two-point increase in the raw score may not sound very impressive, going up to 46 will bring you much closer to the 80th percentile that can convince the Admissions Committee that your lack of quant background should not worry them.

Good luck! Please do let us know if you have any other questions. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
threestripes wrote:

Hi elleesie,

I am glad that this thread has inspired you. This is why I shared my story, and I look forward to reading your story soon. :)

In my opinion, your GPA and age can definitely be addressed. So long as you focus on the upward trend of your GPA and the 3.6 in the last two years, you should be okay. My upward trend was a 3.1 in my senior year, but I still got in. As for your age, you really just have to be able to explain why you feel you need to go back to school at this stage in your life. You can definitely say that you weren't ready a couple of years ago, so you decided to wait a while so you could gain more experience that would help you contribute more in class now.

As for the GMAT, I absolutely support your decision to retake the test. The great thing about the GMAT's verbal portion is that it can be studied. Don't completely ignore the quant concepts though as I believe that with enough effort, one can get a raw score of at least a 46 in Q. While a two-point increase in the raw score may not sound very impressive, going up to 46 will bring you much closer to the 80th percentile that can convince the Admissions Committee that your lack of quant background should not worry them.

Thank you for the advice threestripes! :) I will definitely try to raise my quant score as well as my verbal. I really need all the points I can get, especially because I will be a very non-traditional applicant, in almost every aspect: age, work experience, low GPA, and hopefully not a low GMAT score. :)

Hopefully, 3 months of dedicated prep will raise my score to 700+.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
three cheers threestripes......u made my day. I would count myself in this forum....though have not cleared GMAT yet, but our stories pre application pretty much matches....ur experience sure energizes me!i feel refreshed to apply this year.cheers
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
elleesie wrote:
threestripes wrote:

Hi elleesie,

Thank you for the advice threestripes! :) I will definitely try to raise my quant score as well as my verbal. I really need all the points I can get, especially because I will be a very non-traditional applicant, in almost every aspect: age, work experience, low GPA, and hopefully not a low GMAT score. :)

Hopefully, 3 months of dedicated prep will raise my score to 700+.

Good luck again! I'm sure you'll do well! :)

sdas wrote:
three cheers threestripes......u made my day. I would count myself in this forum....though have not cleared GMAT yet, but our stories pre application pretty much matches....ur experience sure energizes me!i feel refreshed to apply this year.cheers

Glad to know that this thread has inspired another person. Wish you all the best as you start this amazing journey! :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3