Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 07:34
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
Threestripes,
This is really a gem of a post. Though our friendly forum is full of great advice, countless GMAT and app strategies, and a whole bunch of supportive people (like you and Cheetarah) - it's also a place where people compare themselves to impossibly high standards and start doubting. Every Ivy+3.8+Miracle Worker makes you wonder if you've got what it takes. Before I was contributing regularly, I was immensely proud of my own GMAT score, now in comparison some of the sheen is gone. I think this type of doubting runs rampant among us high-achieving hyper-anxious applicants.

But then there's your story - focused, results-oriented, and overwhelmingly POSITIVE. I'm glad to see people posting about how they've learned from their experiences (I won't say mistakes) and are setting high goals and then reaching them. All-quadrant applicants can see the value in your story and how easy it must have been for the admissions committee to see what you'd bring to your class.

Congrats on your well-deserved admits and thank you for helping to remind us to let go of all of the comparisons and focus on what we want and how we can contribute.

Thanks, LRW! I couldn't have said it any better. I definitely got more anxious after seeing all the incredible profiles in this community. Fortunately, I was able to look past the stats and just focus on the goal of getting my number one school to accept me.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 07:36
abhi47 wrote:
Very inspirational one. Thanks Threestripes for this wonderful post.

No worries and thanks, abhi47! Hope to read about your story soon!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 11:05
Fantastic thread threestripes. Sorry to resurrect an old thread- no, actually, I'm not sorry. It's an uplifting tale and something a lot of us can relate to and learn from, especially in the upcoming 2012-2013 application season.

This forum is definitely an amazing portal. I browse through the post history of various long-time contributing members and it's a bit surreal to see many others experiencing the same feelings of anxiety and excitement one year ago, and are now in a position to at least relish the triumphant feeling of acceptance, knowing where there short-term future is headed. But like you iterated threestripes, it'll only get harder and I'm sure you admitted folks are now preparing for new kinds of challenges (and fortunately/hopefully get to say goodbye to the yuckiness of applications forever).

I'm not exactly a Third Quadrant applicant, but a Fourth Quadrant applicant. 2.94 UGPA :( and a 730 GMAT (w/ a strong verbal and AWA but a not-so-strong quant score). My UGPA looms over my head like a dark cloud, and snaps me down to reality everytime I start dreaming about life @ a top b-school and what I can achieve afterwards. But I'm determined to at least give it a shot. No regrets. Will be happy to report back after the application cycles are over... but spring 2013 never felt so far away.

Duke Fuqua is actually among my top 3 choices for schools I am planning to apply to and I am scheduled to attend an upcoming Duke Information Session event. What about Fuqua drew you in the most? Any questions or areas you feel should be worth exploring/asking at the infosession?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 06:53
@threestripe: That is some story dude. U have inspired me so much that i have decided to join this committee just to reply to your post.
Most of all i agree with the last para that you wrote: this is a place for competitive as well as co-operative people who want to help each other. It is good to be a part of this community.
I have some personal questions regarding Fuqua. I will pm you.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 21:00
OjilEye wrote:
Fantastic thread threestripes. Sorry to resurrect an old thread- no, actually, I'm not sorry. It's an uplifting tale and something a lot of us can relate to and learn from, especially in the upcoming 2012-2013 application season.

This forum is definitely an amazing portal. I browse through the post history of various long-time contributing members and it's a bit surreal to see many others experiencing the same feelings of anxiety and excitement one year ago, and are now in a position to at least relish the triumphant feeling of acceptance, knowing where there short-term future is headed. But like you iterated threestripes, it'll only get harder and I'm sure you admitted folks are now preparing for new kinds of challenges (and fortunately/hopefully get to say goodbye to the yuckiness of applications forever).

I'm not exactly a Third Quadrant applicant, but a Fourth Quadrant applicant. 2.94 UGPA :( and a 730 GMAT (w/ a strong verbal and AWA but a not-so-strong quant score). My UGPA looms over my head like a dark cloud, and snaps me down to reality everytime I start dreaming about life @ a top b-school and what I can achieve afterwards. But I'm determined to at least give it a shot. No regrets. Will be happy to report back after the application cycles are over... but spring 2013 never felt so far away.

Duke Fuqua is actually among my top 3 choices for schools I am planning to apply to and I am scheduled to attend an upcoming Duke Information Session event. What about Fuqua drew you in the most? Any questions or areas you feel should be worth exploring/asking at the infosession?

Thanks, OjilEye! I'm glad that you bumped this thread up as I hope my story inspires those with less than stellar stats to keep aiming high.

I read through your blog entries, and it seems like you have done a great job digging up valuable information on the MBA application process as well as schools in which you are interested. It also appears that you have gone through some of the peaks and troughs that almost every applicant experiences. And so, I urge you to soldier on.

As for your first question, a lot of things about Fuqua drew me in. The strong global brand, massive alumni network, amazing campus and incredible athletics programs were key factors. The curriculum, student-run clubs and the diversity of the class impressed me as well. However, the biggest contributor to my decision to make Duke my number one choice is the Team Fuqua culture. All schools always talk about the collaborative nature of their programs, but interacting with Fuquans truly made me feel as if I was already a part of the team even before I was accepted to Duke. It is a tight-knit family where everybody absolutely goes out of their way to help each other. Duke was initially just fourth on my list of schools, but after doing my research, I realized that it is the perfect fit for me.

As for your other question, I sincerely apologize for not being able to respond soon enough. According to your most recent blog entry, the infosession occurred a few days ago. It is too late for me to give you some advice specifically for the infosession. And so, I would just like to offer some tips for future inforsessions. When attending these events, make sure that you already know enough about the program so that your questions are not the standard questions that bore the adcom members. Ask them about particular concentrations/classes/clubs/fellowships that are unique to the school and are relevant to your future goals. These adcom representatives will more likely be engaged because they will know that you are genuinely interested in the program. And then, this could lead to them sharing valuable information about the program or offering to connect you with professors/student ambassadors.

I hope I have sufficiently answered your questions. Let me know if you have any others.

ninads wrote:
@threestripe: That is some story dude. U have inspired me so much that i have decided to join this committee just to reply to your post.
Most of all i agree with the last para that you wrote: this is a place for competitive as well as co-operative people who want to help each other. It is good to be a part of this community.
I have some personal questions regarding Fuqua. I will pm you.

Thanks, ninads! I am glad that you have joined the community. I hope you become an active member and inspire others to join as well. In case you have already sent me a message, I would like to let you know that I have not received anything. Please re-send at your earliest convenience as I would like to help out as best I could.

Non-Human User
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 15:49
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The Third Quadrant Applicant: Thread for Low GMAT/GPA Apps   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 15:49