Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE =

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 543

The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE = [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 19:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:08) correct 32% (00:50) wrong based on 63 sessions
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 24.89 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE = ED. If a point X is randomly selceted from square region ABCD, what is the probability that X will be contained in the shaded region?

A. 1/16
B. 1/12
C. 1/4
D. 3/16
E. 1/3
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Last edited by Bunuel on 23 Jan 2014, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
3 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [3] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE = [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE = ED. If a point X is randomly selceted from square region ABCD, what is the probability that X will be contained in the shaded region?

A) 1/16
B) 1/12
c) 1/4
D) 3/16
4) 1/3

Lets say AD = 4, So, AE = 2 & AF = 1.

Area of ABCD = 16
Area of Square with side AE = 4
Area of Square with side AF = 1

Area of shaded region = 4-1 = 3

Probability = \frac{Area of shaded region}{Area of ABCD} = \frac{3}{16}

Answer is D.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE = [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 17:56
This post received
KUDOS
the probability of the point to lie in shaded region is giveny by

area of the shaded region / area of the original square

To find the area of shaded region = area of the square formed by side AE - area of the square formed by side AF

If we assume that the side AD = 1 unit; then from given info we can take AF = 1/4 and AE = 1/2

Then the area of the square formed by side AE would be 1/4 and the area of the square formed by side AF would be 1/16
Therefore, area of the shaded region = 1/4 minus 1/16 = 3/16

We can take this 3/16 directly as probability because the area of the original square is 1 unit from out assumption of orginal side to be 1 unit.

thanks
Mohan
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 543

Re: The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE = [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 20:42
MacFauz wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

A) 1/16
B) 1/12
c) 1/4
D) 3/16
4) 1/3

Lets say AD = 4, So, AE = 2 & AF = 1.

Area of ABCD = 16
Area of Square with side AE = 4
Area of Square with side AF = 1

Area of shaded region = 4-1 = 3

Probability = \frac{Area of shaded region}{Area of ABCD} = \frac{3}{16}

Answer is D.

The figure is so deceiving easy way to trick a person! Thanks for the solution!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE = [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 07:19
Say each side of the largest square is 4. This gives a totall area of 16.
Since AF=FE and AE=ED, AF and FE must both equal 1 and ED must equal two. Based on this, the area of the 2nd smallest square is 4 and the smallest square is one...giving us an area of 3 for the shaded region.

Therefore the probability of x being in the shaded region is 3/16. D.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE = [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 04:05
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: The three squares above share vertex A with AF = FE and AE =   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2014, 04:05