Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The three women, liberal activists who strongly support

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 18:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (00:00) correct 50% (01:32) wrong based on 4 sessions
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights
and environmental protection, have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support.
A. have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support
B. are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor
C. have consistently received the unqualified support of labor
D. receive consistent and unqualified support by labor
E. are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor

What is the difference between "labor’s unqualifying support" and "unqualifying support of labor"?
Both the phrases describe the type of support. I am not able to figure out if the phrases change the meaning of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 244
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-liberal activists [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 19:50
Whats the correct idiom here? :?: Support by or support of...

I guess its support of is the correct usage....

I am going for A as a and C are in past tense...only B keeps the whole sentence in the present.

D, E- out...support by

Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 267
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-liberal activists [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 20:00
goalsnr wrote:
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights
and environmental protection, have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support.
A. have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support
B. are consistently receiving (change in tense) the unqualifying support of labor
C. have consistently received the unqualified support of labor
D. receive (change in tense) consistent and unqualified support by labor
E. are receiving (change in tense) consistent and unqualified support by labor

What is the difference between "labor’s unqualifying support" and "unqualifying support of labor"?
Both the phrases describe the type of support. I am not able to figure out if the phrases change the meaning of the sentence.


(C) for me

The phrases "labor's unqualifying support" and "unqualifying support of labor" don't change the meaning of the sentence. However, the former sounds incorrect (should've been "received the labor's unqualifying support")

_________________

My GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2008
Posts: 136
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-liberal activists [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 01:14
incognito1 wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights
and environmental protection, have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support.
A. have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support
B. are consistently receiving (change in tense) the unqualifying support of labor
C. have consistently received the unqualified support of labor
D. receive (change in tense) consistent and unqualified support by labor
E. are receiving (change in tense) consistent and unqualified support by labor

What is the difference between "labor’s unqualifying support" and "unqualifying support of labor"?
Both the phrases describe the type of support. I am not able to figure out if the phrases change the meaning of the sentence.


(C) for me

The phrases "labor's unqualifying support" and "unqualifying support of labor" don't change the meaning of the sentence. However, the former sounds incorrect (should've been "received the labor's unqualifying support")




unqualified support of labor seems to hv negative connotation. Not sure if qualifying can be replaced by unqualified.

_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC-liberal activists [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 16:18
The OA is C.

Here is my attempt to explain the OA:

D,E -> out - support by labor

The SC seems to convey teh women received unconditional support.The word "unqualified" seems to convey that meaning.
A,B -> out

C wins

Also we dont need present progressive . B can be ruled out for that reason as well
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 315
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-liberal activists [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2008, 02:58
I got C as well.

C sounds more active, plus the adjective (unqualified) I beleive has to come before the noun which it modifies Labor. Thus my reasoning. Option B changes the tense of the sentence which is not ideal in this case.

Option A sounds passive Labor's unqualifying support which is wrong. The active is preferred.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-liberal activists [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2008, 03:30
But doesnt unqualified support negate the meaning?This gives a negative meaning to support.
goalsnr wrote:
The OA is C.

Here is my attempt to explain the OA:

D,E -> out - support by labor

The SC seems to convey teh women received unconditional support.The word "unqualified" seems to convey that meaning.
A,B -> out

C wins

Also we dont need present progressive . B can be ruled out for that reason as well
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1726
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-liberal activists [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 16:01
+1 C

It keeps the meaning because it keeps the tense.
"unqualifying" is ilogical. It means that labor is performing the action of unqualifying something. In this case, we want to describe labor; therefore, we need an adjective in passive voice.

_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: SC-liberal activists [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 09:12
C. The word "consistently" means that it has been done in the past and is an ongoing action, So "have" is necessary.
Re: SC-liberal activists   [#permalink] 30 May 2011, 09:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic MORE STRONGLY SUPPORTED -- Inference or Strengthening? nkimidi7y 5 19 Oct 2012, 16:06
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic The three women, liberal activists who strongly support daryayurlova 5 27 Jan 2011, 15:04
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic The three women, liberal activists who strongly support singh_amit19 42 14 Oct 2007, 04:20
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support bkk145 14 28 Sep 2007, 21:03
SC: liberal activists imaru 5 10 Aug 2006, 08:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The three women, liberal activists who strongly support

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.