Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The tidal range at a particular location is the difference

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
The tidal range at a particular location is the difference [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 13:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
1. The tidal range at a particular location is the difference in height between high tide and low tide. Tidal studies have shown that one of the greatest tidal ranges in the world is found in the Bay of Fundy and reaches more than seventeen meters. Since the only forces involved in inducing the tides are the sun’s and moon’s gravity, the magnitudes of tidal ranges also must be explained entirely by gravitational forces.

Which one of the following most accurately describes a
flaw in the reasoning above?

(A) It gives only one example of a tidal range.
(B) It fails to consider that the size of a tidal range could be affected by the conditions in which gravitational forces act.
(C) It does not consider the possibility that low tides are measured in a different way than are hightides.
(D) It presumes, without providing warrant, that most activity within the world’s oceans is a result of an interplay of gravitational forces.
(E) It does not differentiate between the tidal effect of the sun and the tidal effect of the moon.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT CR_44_B [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 14:16
botirvoy wrote:
1. The tidal range at a particular location is the difference in height between high tide and low tide. Tidal studies have shown that one of the greatest tidal ranges in the world is found in the Bay of Fundy and reaches more than seventeen meters. Since the only forces involved in inducing the tides are the sun’s and moon’s gravity, the magnitudes of tidal ranges also must be explained entirely by gravitational forces.

(A) It gives only one example of a tidal range.
(B) It fails to consider that the size of a tidal range could be affected by the conditions in which gravitational forces act.
(C) It does not consider the possibility that low tides are measured in a different way than are hightides.
(D) It presumes, without providing warrant, that most activity within the world’s oceans is a result of an interplay of gravitational forces.
(E) It does not differentiate between the tidal effect of the sun and the tidal effect of the moon.

My guess is answer B which is related to the conclusion (size of tidal range = magnitude)

What is the answer? and anybody else with different thought?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 14:46
My pick is B.

I guess the only flaw could be that the author has not considered other factors /conditions.

What is the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: LSAT CR_44_B [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 18:35
IMO B

question stem:
Only Grav Forces -------> (Causes) -->Tides
This a Cause --> effect ....
Flaw in Reasoning implies ----> Alternate cause can be there
(In Cause effect -Flaw can also be due to other reasons..)

(A) It gives only one example of a tidal range.---NA
(B) It fails to consider that the size of a tidal range could be affected by the conditions in which gravitational forces act.----Conditions like depth of sea bed maybe--> Alternate cause exists..
(C) It does not consider the possibility that low tides are measured in a different way than are hightides.--NA
(D) It presumes, without providing warrant, that most activity within the world’s oceans is a result of an interplay of gravitational forces.---'Most activity' ---Out of Scope!
(E) It does not differentiate between the tidal effect of the sun and the tidal effect of the moon.[/quote]---still original C -->E statement is valid...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 08:24
When doing this question, I got confused by the word "flaw".
From suithink's analysis, it is just a "weaken the argument" question.
IMO, "weaken" and "flaw" questions are not entirely the same, although there are overlaps.
any views on this?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 09:01
botirvoy wrote:
IMO, "weaken" and "flaw" questions are not entirely the same, although there are overlaps.
any views on this?

In fact this is a 'Flaw in the reasoning Q '...Not weaken ...

In FiR Qs ...the question stem will state that the argument is flawed.

Weaken the argument Qs need 'extra info' NOT given in argument to 'hurt' the conclusion..

Hence in Weaken Type ..we need to go thr each answer choice to see if the conclusion is 'hurt'----->
That's why in weaken qs the question stem is " Which of the following statements if true,"....weakens.

In short in FiR....Premise 1+ Premise 2----> conclusion ...Something is already wrong....
In Weaken ...New Info weakens it...(We may not notice any cracks..)
The flow of info is from Answer Choices to argument....

In FiR ...the basic structure in which the argument is created is questionable...

I hope my explanation ... made sense to you...
:-D
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 09:22
suithink wrote:
botirvoy wrote:
any views on this?

In fact this is a 'Flaw in the reasoning Q '...Not weaken ...

In FiR Qs ...the question stem will state that the argument is flawed.

Weaken the argument Qs need 'extra info' NOT given in argument to 'hurt' the conclusion..

Hence in Weaken Type ..we need to go thr each answer choice to see if the conclusion is 'hurt'----->
That's why in weaken qs the question stem is " Which of the following statements if true,"....weakens.

In short in FiR....Premise 1+ Premise 2----> conclusion ...Something is already wrong....
In Weaken ...New Info weakens it...(We may not notice any cracks..)
The flow of info is from Answer Choices to argument....

In FiR ...the basic structure in which the argument is created is questionable...

I hope my explanation ... made sense to you...
:-D

Good Explanation!!!...C is the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 09:30
my pick is C
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 10:35
suithink, thx for putting effort to explain! definately makes sense...

OA B!

any other views on the question itself?
  [#permalink] 31 Jul 2007, 10:35