Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 Aug 2015, 03:07
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The top European MBA programs for Finance/I-banking/Trading?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

The top European MBA programs for Finance/I-banking/Trading? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 01:34
I am looking at doing a reasonably priced 1 year MBA from a well-known and respected business school that offers recruitment into Trading at an I-bank (or other investment firm). Basically, I am looking for prestige (brand name recognition) and a good cost-benefit ratio. I would like to work in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, or Germany. Germany/Switzerland would be my ideal places (I currently live in Germany), followed by UK/Ireland and the Netherlands.

I have researched many schools over here in Europe, but I'm looking to bounce a couple names off of everyone to solicit your feedback/comments. My problem is that I do not know which schools the International/European I-banks prefer to recruit from within Europe, and specifcally along the Trading career track.

Here's my current list (in no order of preference):

1) City University: Cass
2) Imperical College London: Tanaka
3) Oxford
4) Warwick
5) Cranfield
6) Manchester
7) Cambridge
8) HHL Leipzig
9) WHU: Otto Beishem Koblenz
10) Mannheim
11) Rotterdam/Erasmus
12) TiasNimbas (Tilburg)
13) Nyenrode
14) University College Dublin: Smurfit
15) Trinity College Dublin
16) Insead
17) St. Gallen

If anyone would like to help me in narrowing this list down, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

William
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 210

Re: The top European MBA programs for Finance/I-banking/Trad [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 18:52
Hey mate,

I have heard about the CASS school. They have full on simulation practices aimed specifically for traders. INSEAD to me is a great brand name but more a general management / consulting type school and may not be right for a trader track.

There is an article about CASS here:
http://education.independent.co.uk/grad ... e74791.ece

Certainly one advantage of studying in Europe is that you will gain exposure to spread betting (or CFDs) which I believe is not legal in the US.

However for brand recognition in Europe along with a specialization in Finance, nothing beats London Business School.

cheers.

trader1 wrote:
I am looking at doing a reasonably priced 1 year MBA from a well-known and respected business school that offers recruitment into Trading at an I-bank (or other investment firm). Basically, I am looking for prestige (brand name recognition) and a good cost-benefit ratio. I would like to work in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, or Germany. Germany/Switzerland would be my ideal places (I currently live in Germany), followed by UK/Ireland and the Netherlands.

I have researched many schools over here in Europe, but I'm looking to bounce a couple names off of everyone to solicit your feedback/comments. My problem is that I do not know which schools the International/European I-banks prefer to recruit from within Europe, and specifcally along the Trading career track.

Here's my current list (in no order of preference):

1) City University: Cass
2) Imperical College London: Tanaka
3) Oxford
4) Warwick
5) Cranfield
6) Manchester
7) Cambridge
8) HHL Leipzig
9) WHU: Otto Beishem Koblenz
10) Mannheim
11) Rotterdam/Erasmus
12) TiasNimbas (Tilburg)
13) Nyenrode
14) University College Dublin: Smurfit
15) Trinity College Dublin
16) Insead
17) St. Gallen

If anyone would like to help me in narrowing this list down, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

William
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 01:47
Hi there...

Yes, I am familiar with Cass, and I do know about their simulated trading floor. It sounds like the best practical, hands-on learning experience one can get in a teaching environment. Another advantage of Cass is the relative proximity to Canary Wharf where all the financial houses mark as home in the City.

My biggest problem with Cass is the brand name recognition. I'm not sure what type of value the recruiters/companies place on the Cass MBA. Unfortunately, brand name recognition is a fact of life when it comes to recruiting, so one wants to try and get accepted into the most reputable schools for a credential such as an MBA. Why waste tens of thousands of dollars on a program that has no recognition? Sure, the education may be good, but if one is trying to break into the financial services/I-banking sector, one requires a program that has the respect of the sector.

I definitely agree in regards to LBS being one of the premier schools for finance in Europe. Unfortunately, I find it too costly. For a 21 month program with base tuition of ~ $88,000 plus living expenses (and deducting an average internship+project salary of $25,000 during the program), one's total investment comes to between $112,000 and $137,000, the range dependent on bare minimum to moderate living expenses.

For comparison purposes only, Cass' 1 year MBA program with living expenses represents a total investment of ~ 64,000 (if you get on-campus housing). The figure jumps to about $75k if you must rent your own flat. Still not cheap, but after that 1 year program, one is already (hopefully) working and earning a commensurate salary. So, there is a much quicker return on investment here in my opinion.

I think it pretty much boils down to how much money one is willing to invest out-of-pocket coupled with the availability of loans and earning of scholarships. I prefer only putting the bare minimum required of my savings/investments into the MBA program, and then financing the remainder of it with loans/scholarships. With this approach, it will be much easier for me to finance a 1-year program vs. the 2-year with LBS.

Appreciate any further thoughts, other insights, and comments on the other schools on my list in the first post.

Thanks,

William
  [#permalink] 24 Aug 2007, 01:47