Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 08:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 24607
Followers: 3805

Kudos [?]: 32864 [0], given: 3580

Re: The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 23:16
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: very hard - MGMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 11:32
Hi gmat1220 and Karishma

I am good with weighted averages, but I could not understand this question being solved in weighted average method. Please help me understand your method better. Thanks in advance.


gmat1220 wrote:
Karishma
Pls can you verify this solution. I think this is a weighted average problem. :-D

Combining 1) + 2)
13% increase in the fixed cost and 5% is decrease in variable cost.
We know that the weights w1 : w2 are 5 : 1 i.e. Fixed cost : Variable cost = 5 : 1

Hence the %age in the total cost = (13 * w1 - 5 * w2) / (w1 + w2)

%change in total cost = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 60/ 6 = 10% increase

knabi wrote:
The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of item X's fixed cost and variable cost. If the variable cost of producing X decreased by 5% in January, by what percent did the total cost of producing item X change in January?

(1) The fixed cost of producing item X increased by 13% in January.

(2) Before the changes in January, the fixed cost of producing item X was 5 times the variable cost of producing item X.


Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
Both statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER one ALONE is sufficient.
EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

-----------
My question is, why isn't the answer B? The prompt didn't say fixed cost MUST change...
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5031
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1209

Kudos [?]: 5817 [1] , given: 168

Re: very hard - MGMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 20:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mitmat wrote:
Hi gmat1220 and Karishma

I am good with weighted averages, but I could not understand this question being solved in weighted average method. Please help me understand your method better. Thanks in advance.


gmat1220 wrote:
Karishma
Pls can you verify this solution. I think this is a weighted average problem. :-D

Combining 1) + 2)
13% increase in the fixed cost and 5% is decrease in variable cost.
We know that the weights w1 : w2 are 5 : 1 i.e. Fixed cost : Variable cost = 5 : 1

Hence the %age in the total cost = (13 * w1 - 5 * w2) / (w1 + w2)

%change in total cost = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 60/ 6 = 10% increase

The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of item X's fixed cost and variable cost. If the variable cost of producing X decreased by 5% in January, by what percent did the total cost of producing item X change in January?

(1) The fixed cost of producing item X increased by 13% in January.

(2) Before the changes in January, the fixed cost of producing item X was 5 times the variable cost of producing item X.



Think of it as a mixture problem that uses weighted average. You mix one solution with another in certain proportion to get an overall mixture. Depending on the proportion in which you mix the two, you get the concentration of the final mixture.
Here, your two solutions are 'fixed cost' and 'variable cost'. You add them together to get total cost. When these costs change, the overall cost will change. Depending on the proportion in which they come together, the overall cost changes

Say if both costs increase by 10%, the total cost will increase by 10%. If one cost increases by 100% and one increases by 10%, the increase in total cost depends on the proportion of each cost in the total cost. Say, variable cost increases by 100% and fixed cost by 10%. If most of the total cost is fixed cost, the increase in total cost will be a little more than 10%. If most of the total cost is variable cost, the increase in total cost will be close to 100%. So the increase in total cost depends on the "weights" of the fixed cost and variable cost.

The calculation is provided by gmat1220 above. Get back if there are any doubts in the calculations.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: very hard - MGMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 05:02
Thanks a lot Karishma

I always thought that weighted average method could be used only for fixed values (like the examples you had mentioned in veritas blog). its the first time that I have seen this method used in percentage changes. Nice to know this method and scope of its uses...

Karishma...jai ho!!!

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mitmat wrote:
Hi gmat1220 and Karishma

I am good with weighted averages, but I could not understand this question being solved in weighted average method. Please help me understand your method better. Thanks in advance.





gmat1220 wrote:
Karishma
Pls can you verify this solution. I think this is a weighted average problem. :-D

Combining 1) + 2)
13% increase in the fixed cost and 5% is decrease in variable cost.
We know that the weights w1 : w2 are 5 : 1 i.e. Fixed cost : Variable cost = 5 : 1

Hence the %age in the total cost = (13 * w1 - 5 * w2) / (w1 + w2)

%change in total cost = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 60/ 6 = 10% increase

The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of item X's fixed cost and variable cost. If the variable cost of producing X decreased by 5% in January, by what percent did the total cost of producing item X change in January?

(1) The fixed cost of producing item X increased by 13% in January.

(2) Before the changes in January, the fixed cost of producing item X was 5 times the variable cost of producing item X.



Think of it as a mixture problem that uses weighted average. You mix one solution with another in certain proportion to get an overall mixture. Depending on the proportion in which you mix the two, you get the concentration of the final mixture.
Here, your two solutions are 'fixed cost' and 'variable cost'. You add them together to get total cost. When these costs change, the overall cost will change. Depending on the proportion in which they come together, the overall cost changes

Say if both costs increase by 10%, the total cost will increase by 10%. If one cost increases by 100% and one increases by 10%, the increase in total cost depends on the proportion of each cost in the total cost. Say, variable cost increases by 100% and fixed cost by 10%. If most of the total cost is fixed cost, the increase in total cost will be a little more than 10%. If most of the total cost is variable cost, the increase in total cost will be close to 100%. So the increase in total cost depends on the "weights" of the fixed cost and variable cost.

The calculation is provided by gmat1220 above. Get back if there are any doubts in the calculations.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 928
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 05:54
The method which I used 3 yrs ago was probably the fastest. Its intuitive and somewhat like calculus (you just take care of deltas). But in case you want to use absolute values it works like this -
Total cost= fixed + variable = 1.13 f + 0.95 v . Now since f=5v. So total new cost = 1.13 *5v + 0.95 v = 6.6 v. Initially cost = f + v = 6v hence change is (6.6v- 6v / 6v) × 100 =10 %. Hope that helps.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 09:44
I got the solution to this question by the method u had mentioned below and that was fine with me. Your original method was great and as u aptly said, most efficient. I just wanted to learn more about your thought process. Now that I have it, I feel better equipped. Thank you for this method and showing that weighted average method can be applied beyond absolute values. :-D

gmat1220 wrote:
The method which I used 3 yrs ago was probably the fastest. Its intuitive and somewhat like calculus (you just take care of deltas). But in case you want to use absolute values it works like this -
Total cost= fixed + variable = 1.13 f + 0.95 v . Now since f=5v. So total new cost = 1.13 *5v + 0.95 v = 6.6 v. Initially cost = f + v = 6v hence change is (6.6v- 6v / 6v) × 100 =10 %. Hope that helps.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 213
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 211

Re: very hard - MGMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 05:25
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mitmat wrote:

I am good with weighted averages, but I could not understand this question being solved in weighted average method. Please help me understand your method better. Thanks in advance.



Think of it as a mixture problem that uses weighted average. You mix one solution with another in certain proportion to get an overall mixture. Depending on the proportion in which you mix the two, you get the concentration of the final mixture.
Here, your two solutions are 'fixed cost' and 'variable cost'. You add them together to get total cost. When these costs change, the overall cost will change. Depending on the proportion in which they come together, the overall cost changes

Say if both costs increase by 10%, the total cost will increase by 10%. If one cost increases by 100% and one increases by 10%, the increase in total cost depends on the proportion of each cost in the total cost. Say, variable cost increases by 100% and fixed cost by 10%. If most of the total cost is fixed cost, the increase in total cost will be a little more than 10%. If most of the total cost is variable cost, the increase in total cost will be close to 100%. So the increase in total cost depends on the "weights" of the fixed cost and variable cost.

The calculation is provided by gmat1220 above. Get back if there are any doubts in the calculations.


@Karishma
Was able to solve this problem by the traditional way , but couldn't figure out the weighted averages way
I am aware of the concept

Using the scale method

.95V --------- Avg -----------1.13 (5V)
----------------------------------
V ---------------------------- 5V

on the left side we have the variable cost and on the right , the Fixed cost
however using this I am not able to figure out how to find the percent change
Now what I am getting is

( V/5V) = (1.13(5V) - avg )/ ( Avg - .95V)

or even if I use

V/5V = ( 13V - avg ) / (Avg- 5V)
still I am not getting the answer

How to do this correctly using the scale method ?

the new fixed price is 1.13*5V = 5.65V isn't it? and new variabe price .95V

so how does this equation give us the percent change?

( V/5V) = (5.65V - avg )/ ( Avg - .95V)
_________________

- Stne

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5031
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1209

Kudos [?]: 5817 [1] , given: 168

Re: very hard - MGMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 19:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mitmat wrote:

I am good with weighted averages, but I could not understand this question being solved in weighted average method. Please help me understand your method better. Thanks in advance.



Think of it as a mixture problem that uses weighted average. You mix one solution with another in certain proportion to get an overall mixture. Depending on the proportion in which you mix the two, you get the concentration of the final mixture.
Here, your two solutions are 'fixed cost' and 'variable cost'. You add them together to get total cost. When these costs change, the overall cost will change. Depending on the proportion in which they come together, the overall cost changes

Say if both costs increase by 10%, the total cost will increase by 10%. If one cost increases by 100% and one increases by 10%, the increase in total cost depends on the proportion of each cost in the total cost. Say, variable cost increases by 100% and fixed cost by 10%. If most of the total cost is fixed cost, the increase in total cost will be a little more than 10%. If most of the total cost is variable cost, the increase in total cost will be close to 100%. So the increase in total cost depends on the "weights" of the fixed cost and variable cost.

The calculation is provided by gmat1220 above. Get back if there are any doubts in the calculations.


@Karishma
Was able to solve this problem by the traditional way , but couldn't figure out the weighted averages way
I am aware of the concept

Using the scale method

.95V --------- Avg -----------1.13 (5V)
----------------------------------
V ---------------------------- 5V

on the left side we have the variable cost and on the right , the Fixed cost
however using this I am not able to figure out how to find the percent change
Now what I am getting is

( V/5V) = (1.13(5V) - avg )/ ( Avg - .95V)

or even if I use

V/5V = ( 13V - avg ) / (Avg- 5V)
still I am not getting the answer

How to do this correctly using the scale method ?

the new fixed price is 1.13*5V = 5.65V isn't it? and new variabe price .95V

so how does this equation give us the percent change?

( V/5V) = (5.65V - avg )/ ( Avg - .95V)


You want to find the average change in the price given the change in the price of fixed cost and variable cost.

Change in the fixed cost = 13%
Change in variable cost = -5%
(Average) Overall change = ?
We know that the weights w1 : w2 are 5 : 1 i.e. Fixed cost : Variable cost = 5 : 1

Hence the Average Change = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 10%



%change in total cost = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 60/ 6 = 10% increase
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 213
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 211

Re: very hard - MGMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 23:33
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
stne wrote:
@Karishma
Was able to solve this problem by the traditional way , but couldn't figure out the weighted averages way
I am aware of the concept

Using the scale method

.95V --------- Avg -----------1.13 (5V)
----------------------------------
V ---------------------------- 5V

on the left side we have the variable cost and on the right , the Fixed cost
however using this I am not able to figure out how to find the percent change
Now what I am getting is

( V/5V) = (1.13(5V) - avg )/ ( Avg - .95V)

or even if I use

V/5V = ( 13V - avg ) / (Avg- 5V)
still I am not getting the answer

How to do this correctly using the scale method ?

the new fixed price is 1.13*5V = 5.65V isn't it? and new variabe price .95V

so how does this equation give us the percent change?

( V/5V) = (5.65V - avg )/ ( Avg - .95V)


You want to find the average change in the price given the change in the price of fixed cost and variable cost.

Change in the fixed cost = 13%
Change in variable cost = -5%
(Average) Overall change = ?
We know that the weights w1 : w2 are 5 : 1 i.e. Fixed cost : Variable cost = 5 : 1

Hence the Average Change = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 10%



%change in total cost = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 60/ 6 = 10% increase


let me see if I have understood correctly

-5 ----------x-----------13
1V------------------------5V

where x is the average or percent change after fixed price was increased and variable price was decreased
so \frac{1}{5} =\frac{13-x} {x-(-5)}

after solving we get
x+5 = 65-5x
6x=60
x= 10%

Is this ok? Couldn't understand it when it wasn't presented in this format.
Would you classify it as a different kind of weighted averages problem?

Thank you +1.
_________________

- Stne

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 249
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 05:07
I have a question for whomever has the answer:

In a question like this, is it not enough just to know the ratio of "weights" (using the term weights very loosely here) between fixed and variable cost, together with the change in percent of fixed cost?

This is how I interpret it:

Total Cost = FC + VC, where FC = w1*A1 and VC = w2*A2..

Since we KNOW A2 from the stem, we have three unknowns: w1, A1 and w2..

1) This gives us A1 but neither of the "weights", insufficient.
2) This gives us the weights, but not A1, insufficient.

---> Combine both and we have solved all of the variables : Answer is C

Is this approach valid?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5031
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1209

Kudos [?]: 5817 [0], given: 168

Re: very hard - MGMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 06:23
Expert's post
stne wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
stne wrote:
@Karishma
Was able to solve this problem by the traditional way , but couldn't figure out the weighted averages way
I am aware of the concept

Using the scale method

.95V --------- Avg -----------1.13 (5V)
----------------------------------
V ---------------------------- 5V

on the left side we have the variable cost and on the right , the Fixed cost
however using this I am not able to figure out how to find the percent change
Now what I am getting is

( V/5V) = (1.13(5V) - avg )/ ( Avg - .95V)

or even if I use

V/5V = ( 13V - avg ) / (Avg- 5V)
still I am not getting the answer

How to do this correctly using the scale method ?

the new fixed price is 1.13*5V = 5.65V isn't it? and new variabe price .95V

so how does this equation give us the percent change?

( V/5V) = (5.65V - avg )/ ( Avg - .95V)


You want to find the average change in the price given the change in the price of fixed cost and variable cost.

Change in the fixed cost = 13%
Change in variable cost = -5%
(Average) Overall change = ?
We know that the weights w1 : w2 are 5 : 1 i.e. Fixed cost : Variable cost = 5 : 1

Hence the Average Change = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 10%



%change in total cost = (13 * 5 - 5 * 1) / (5 + 1) = 60/ 6 = 10% increase


let me see if I have understood correctly

-5 ----------x-----------13
1V------------------------5V

where x is the average or percent change after fixed price was increased and variable price was decreased
so \frac{1}{5} =\frac{13-x} {x-(-5)}

after solving we get
x+5 = 65-5x
6x=60
x= 10%

Is this ok? Couldn't understand it when it wasn't presented in this format.
Would you classify it as a different kind of weighted averages problem?

Thank you +1.


It is the same formula. Note that the original formula is
Cavg = (C1*w1 + C2*w2)/(w1 + w2)
We just re-arranged it to get
w1/w2 = (C2 - Cavg)/(Cavg - C1)

When we need the ratio of w1/w2, it is easier to use the rearranged version. If we need to get Cavg, its easier to use the original formula.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5031
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1209

Kudos [?]: 5817 [0], given: 168

Re: The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 06:27
Expert's post
aeglorre wrote:
I have a question for whomever has the answer:

In a question like this, is it not enough just to know the ratio of "weights" (using the term weights very loosely here) between fixed and variable cost, together with the change in percent of fixed cost?

This is how I interpret it:

Total Cost = FC + VC, where FC = w1*A1 and VC = w2*A2..

Since we KNOW A2 from the stem, we have three unknowns: w1, A1 and w2..

1) This gives us A1 but neither of the "weights", insufficient.
2) This gives us the weights, but not A1, insufficient.

---> Combine both and we have solved all of the variables : Answer is C

Is this approach valid?


Yes, you don't even need to calculate as discussed in a post on the previous page: the-total-cost-of-producing-item-x-is-equal-to-the-sum-of-97488.html#p917984
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2013, 06:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of it GMATD11 7 03 Oct 2011, 06:26
The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of apshma 3 13 Jan 2009, 00:54
The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of leonidas 2 28 Sep 2008, 18:39
The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of sjgmat 4 11 Aug 2008, 00:35
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic The total cost of producing item Y is equal to the sum of alexperi 7 08 Dec 2007, 11:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The total cost of producing item X is equal to the sum of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.