Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The total market value of real estate in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 18:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

96% (02:36) correct 3% (01:29) wrong based on 28 sessions
Mike - Can you please explain the key to solving percentage problems

The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. Moreover, the percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change during this period. The information above most strongly supports which of the following?
A. Money collected from property taxes provided most of Altonville’s revenue during the past four years.
B. The percentage of Altonville’s overall revenue that was collected from property taxes did not change over the past four years.
C. Altonville officials had proposed raising property tax rates during the past four years but never did so because of strong opposition from property owners.
D. The total amount of revenue that Altonville has collected from property taxes has declined over the past four years.
E. During the past four years, Altonville officials also did not increase tax rates on other sources of revenue such as retail sales or business profits.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 19:19
I would go with D.

Given, in 4 years,

market value of real estate >> declined
assessed value of that real estate >> declined
percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes >> remained same

this means that the town is now getting same percentage of tax of a lesser amount. Declining revenue.

Ex. Property assessed value was say $10K before. Tax rate was 5%. So tax = $500

4 years later, the assessed value is say 8K. Tax rate is still the same, 5%. So tax = $400

Reduced tax >> reduced tax revenue
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 20:05
venmic wrote:
Mike - Can you please explain the key to solving percentage problems

The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four
years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is
based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. Moreover, the percentage
of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change during this
period. The information above most strongly supports which of the following?
A. Money collected from property taxes provided most of Altonville’s revenue during the past
four years.
B. The percentage of Altonville’s overall revenue that was collected from property taxes did
not change over the past four years.
C. Altonville officials had proposed raising property tax rates during the past four years but
never did so because of strong opposition from property owners.
D. The total amount of revenue that Altonville has collected from property taxes has declined
over the past four years.
E. During the past four years, Altonville officials also did not increase tax rates on other
sources of revenue such as retail sales or business profits.

I would go with D as well... clearly A, C and E are ruled out... so left with B and D... B says "The percentage of Altonville’s overall revenue that was collected from property taxes did not change over the past four years." but the question says 'percentage
of assessed value'
..... so D has to be the answer
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 459

Kudos [?]: 1781 [0], given: 29

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 10:05
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
venmic wrote:
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. Moreover, the percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change during this period. The information above most strongly supports which of the following?
A. Money collected from property taxes provided most of Altonville’s revenue during the past four years.
B. The percentage of Altonville’s overall revenue that was collected from property taxes did not change over the past four years.
C. Altonville officials had proposed raising property tax rates during the past four years but never did so because of strong opposition from property owners.
D. The total amount of revenue that Altonville has collected from property taxes has declined over the past four years.
E. During the past four years, Altonville officials also did not increase tax rates on other sources of revenue such as retail sales or business profits.

Dear Venmic

I don't know that there's a "key" to solving percent problems. Of course ....

percent = (Part)/(Whole)* 100

... so in any CR question that discusses them, the direction of change of the percent (increase or decrease) does not necessarily have to be the same as the direction of change of the "Part", so long as the "Whole" also changes. It just a matter of keeping straight, for any particular assertion --- are they talking about the "percent", the "Part", or the "Whole"? --- because information given could be about any of those three.

Let's look at this particular argument.
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years.
That's the "whole" from which real estate tax is assessed.
(percent of property tax) = (total $ amount of property taxes)/(total market value of real estate)*100
This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined.
A bit redundant --- this sentence just points out that this same "whole" --- the "total market value of real estate" ---- is, of course, the basis of real estate tax. Property tax is based on property!
Moreover, the percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change during this period.
OK, now we know --- "percent" stayed the same. So, sentence #1 told us "Whole" declined", and here we also know that "percent" stays the same --- this ineluctably means: "Part" must have also decreased. That's the only way the "Whole" could decrease while the "percent" stays the same. That "Part" would be the actual monetary amount of the property tax --- that must decrease. This is exactly what the correct answer D says.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 36

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
Ans shud be D.

What is OA?
TMV of RE is decreasing ---> decrease in Prop tax.
%age of Prop Tax did not change implies TMV must be decreasing.

What is OA?

Thanks

If you think you are lost, you are.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 17:05
+1 D

If the taxable amount has declined and the percentage to calculate the taxes has not changed, the revenue generated by this tax has declined.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 04:20
From my point of view the answer should be E but i am not sure. Hope you get the correct one.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:23
Expert's post
robertnunzia wrote:
From my point of view the answer should be E but i am not sure. Hope you get the correct one.

Dear Robert,
Do you understand why (D) is the OA? Let me know if you have any questions about my post above.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1010

Kudos [?]: 4296 [0], given: 161

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 20:03
Expert's post
robertnunzia wrote:

Actually, (E) is out of scope. Just because the property tax rate was not increased, we cannot say that other tax rates were not increased either. We cannot colcude about any other rates from the given argument.

Revenue from property tax = Tax rate * Total market value of property.

If total market values goes down (given in the argument) but tax rate doesn't change (also given in the argument), revenue from property tax will go down.

If tax rate = 10%

Total market value = $1000
Revenue from property tax = 10/100 * 1000 = 100

If total market value goes down to 800,
Revenue from property tax = 10/100 * 800 = 80

Answer (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 24

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 02:12
mikemcgarry wrote:
venmic wrote:

Dear Venmic

I don't know that there's a "key" to solving percent problems. Of course ....

... so in any CR question that discusses them, the direction of change of the percent (increase or decrease) does not necessarily have to be the same as the direction of change of the "Part", so long as the "Whole" also changes. It just a matter of keeping straight, for any particular assertion --- are they talking about the "percent", the "Part", or the "Whole"? --- because information given could be about any of those three.

Let's look at this particular argument.
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years.
That's the "whole" from which real estate tax is assessed.
(percent of property tax) = (total $ amount of property taxes)/(total market value of real estate)*100
This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined.
A bit redundant --- this sentence just points out that this same "whole" --- the "total market value of real estate" ---- is, of course, the basis of real estate tax. Property tax is based on property!
Moreover, the percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change during this period.
OK, now we know --- "percent" stayed the same. So, sentence #1 told us "Whole" declined", and here we also know that "percent" stays the same --- this ineluctably means: "Part" must have also decreased. That's the only way the "Whole" could decrease while the "percent" stays the same. That "Part" would be the actual monetary amount of the property tax --- that must decrease. This is exactly what the correct answer D says.

Does this make sense?

I was confused between C and D & picked C :cry:
C does support the last statement of the argument. Is there any stated reason why it is not considered for the answer choice? Thanks

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1010

Kudos [?]: 4296 [0], given: 161

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 20:38
Expert's post
The reason (C) is not correct is this:

This is an inference question. You are looking for an option which you can conclude from the argument. The argument does not mention the Altonville officials at all. We do not know what they had proposed. The argument only talks about the market value, assessed value and actual tax percentage. It doesn't talk about the officials. Hence, there is no way we can conclude (C) from the given argument. Note that in inference questions, the correct option should give no new information. Option (C) is giving new information and is not the answer.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: The total market value of real estate in [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 10:46
Expert's post
joshnsit wrote:
I was confused between C and D & picked C :cry:
C does support the last statement of the argument. Is there any stated reason why it is not considered for the answer choice? Thanks

Dear joshnsit,
I see the brilliant Karishma already gave you a very good answer to this question. I will just add that you may find this blog article helpful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-criti ... inference/

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: The total market value of real estate in   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 10:46