Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [42]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Re: The total remittance transfers sent across the world [#permalink]
Options D and E are definitely wrong. Because they are changing the intended meaning of the Sentence. The Original sentence gives focus on the 'total number of transfers,i.e. almost $100 billion annually' through the main verb 'is' and also on the equivalence of those three countries’ foreign assistance budget...... So there should not be a shift in meaning. Choice D and E clearly shift the focus away from 'almost $100 billion annually', and hence breaks the intended meaning.

e-gmat always says the intended meaning must be preserved unless we find grammatical mistakes in all the choices that preserve the intended meaning.

In the above question, choices A and B seems to have been shuffled. ( see the exclusion of 'or' in option A)

Choice A also breaks the intended meaning by removing 'or' ...

Choice C incorrectly uses 'are' to describe 'The total number of transfers' .. Uses 'or' correctly and maintains the intended meaning.

'The total number of transfers' -----> always singular........

'A total of 10 transfers were made' ----> PLural

Hence B should be correct (which has 'is' and 'or' in it)....PLease note that choices A and B seem to be shuffled in the Question posted above.
NUS School Moderator
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Answer is C - use of "are" for remittance transfers and correct modification
A,B out - use of "is"
E - roughly modifying ??
D - Awkward
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Send PM
navaljoshi wrote:
A,B out - use of "is"
E - roughly modifying ??
D - Awkward

But it's the TOTAL of the transfers that is equal to 100 B.
It's not the transfers that are the equal... no?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Send PM
ronr34 wrote:
navaljoshi wrote:
A,B out - use of "is"
E - roughly modifying ??
D - Awkward

But it's the TOTAL of the transfers that is equal to 100 B.
It's not the transfers that are the equal... no?

Bumping and adding another question :)
Aren't we talking about the "total remittance transfers"? so isn't this singular.
Also, having problems with deciphering the "or" after "Government Budget Office,".
Can anyone explain a little more about this?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
The total remittance transfers sent across the world [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
There is something odd about this question. It is supposed to be from Veritas Prep, but see this comment from David Newland, of Veritas.

Quote:
I received a PM on this one:

What is the source?

I have some problems with the NON -UNDERLINED part of this sentence. The proper phrase is "top three industrialized nations" not "top three industrial nations."

As far as the subject of the sentence that is poorly worded as well. It is clear from the rest of the sentence that what is meant is "the total DOLLAR VALUE OF remittance transfers" is almost $100 billion dollars. Saying "the total remittance transfers" does not make sense in English. You either need the total NUMBER of transfers or the total AMOUNT of transfers.

The sentence is not clearly written and I personally would not take the time on this one.

Where do we go from here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
daagh wrote:
There is something odd about this question. It is supposed to be from Veritas Prep, but see this comment from David Newland, of Veritas.

Quote:
I received a PM on this one:

What is the source?

I have some problems with the NON -UNDERLINED part of this sentence. The proper phrase is "top three industrialized nations" not "top three industrial nations."

As far as the subject of the sentence that is poorly worded as well. It is clear from the rest of the sentence that what is meant is "the total DOLLAR VALUE OF remittance transfers" is almost $100 billion dollars. Saying "the total remittance transfers" does not make sense in English. You either need the total NUMBER of transfers or the total AMOUNT of transfers.

The sentence is not clearly written and I personally would not take the time on this one.

It's not really a good question and I think veritas should remove it from their question bank, honestly after doing this question, I can make sure what is wrong and what is right?

Where do we go from here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Wish I could vote down such poorly written question.

"total transfers" if used as plural should refer to the number of transferring times. i.e I made 3 money transfers [aka remittances] last week
Clearly, $100 billion or budget means "amount". Hence C is incorrect, meaning-wise
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
D and E are incorrect dude to Subject-Verb proximity error.
Modifier is inserted in between S and V
C is correct Answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
A and B out due to usage of the word 'is' instead of 'are'/
E out due to wordy and redundancy.

Between C and D, it's a tough call.

And the answer is C because it more precise and grammatically correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20707 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
shardullavekar wrote:
The total remittance transfers sent across the world from the top three industrial nations in recent years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budget.

A) years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

B) years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

C) years are almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

D) years – almost $100 billion annually – are, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

E) years, an amount that is almost $100 billion annually, are, according to the Government Budge Office, roughly the equivalent of the foreign assistance budgets of those three countries.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Solution: C

Explanation: The easiest decision point to start with on this problem is the subject-verb agreement of “is” versus “are”. While “is” might sound correct in this problem, the subject is the plural “transfers” so you need a plural verb. It must be “the transfers….are” not “the transfers…is” This allows you to eliminate (A) and (B). (D) and (E) create illogical meaning so (C) is correct. (C) states properly that according to the Budget Office, the transfers are almost $100 billion annually and that amount is almost the same as the foreign budgets for the three countries. (D) and (E) both state illogically that the Government Budget Office has spent a bunch of time trying to prove that the amount of the transfers is the same as the foreign aid budgets. The Office proved that the amount was $100 billion and that, as a comparison, happens to be as large as the aid budget for those three countries. Answer is (C).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
As long as there is a plural subject namely, 'transfers', the main verb is going to be the plural 'are'

Therefore, we may dispense with A and B instantly. Only C, D, and E remain. The placement of the appositive modifiers in D and E are rather clumsy and mar the flow of the sentence. They give a feeling that the modifier modifies the proximate 'years' in both cases. Alternatively, to equate the singular $100B or an amount to the plural 'transfers' is rather ungrammatical.
Any other apparent splits among choices are pseudo and can be ignored.

Therefore, it is C all the way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
shardullavekar wrote:
The total remittance transfers sent across the world from the top three industrial nations in recent years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budget.

(A) years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

(B) years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

(C) years are almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

(D) years – almost $100 billion annually – are, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

(E) years, an amount that is almost $100 billion annually, are, according to the Government Budge Office, roughly the equivalent of the foreign assistance budgets of those three countries.

I chose E - an amount that.. should be an appositive modifier, plus the "transfers" goes well with "are" Also, why is D wrong?

Hi,

I always have this one question creeping into my mind about the "subject" in SC.

We don't know the correct answer and option A might also be a wrong option. As most part of the sentence is underlined, how can we decide the subject here??

According to A, The total remittance transfers are 100$ billion etc .... and a comparison is added. The subject here is very clear.

coming to D, The total remittance transfers ......are roughly equivalent to something else. This can also be the subject, right?

As we are not sure what is the subject, I picked D as it sounds good. Please help me.

Thanks,
Uma
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Only C uses the plural word are referring to transfers. Therefore, C is the right answer.
In D, are seems to refer to years, therefore this is incorrect.

(A) years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

(B) years is almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

(C) years are almost $100 billion annually, according to the Government Budget Office, or roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

(D) years – almost $100 billion annually – are, according to the Government Budget Office, roughly the equivalent of those three countries’ foreign assistance budgets.

(E) years, an amount that is almost $100 billion annually, are, according to the Government Budge Office, roughly the equivalent of the foreign assistance budgets of those three countries.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts