Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

HBS vs. Booth (full-ride)

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 14:19
dalillama wrote:
Given that you're done with apps and probably find yourself with a bit more time. It might be interesting for you to read "Ahead of the Curve" before making that decision. To be honest I just started reading it myself, so I can only repeat others' praise for it, and not my own (yet). It's a relatively short read. Just an idea.

I actually read it a few weeks ago and I'm currently reading "Year One" as well. "Ahead of the Curve" was interesting but really as far as the author's negative experience, you get what you put into it. For completely valid reasons, his priority was his wife and child and for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like they really wanted to become engaged with the HBS community or partners club. I like knowing the good and bad aspects of the schools I'm considering so it was a valuable read in that respect.

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 56

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 14:42
eskimoroll wrote:
dalillama wrote:
Given that you're done with apps and probably find yourself with a bit more time. It might be interesting for you to read "Ahead of the Curve" before making that decision. To be honest I just started reading it myself, so I can only repeat others' praise for it, and not my own (yet). It's a relatively short read. Just an idea.

I actually read it a few weeks ago and I'm currently reading "Year One" as well. "Ahead of the Curve" was interesting but really as far as the author's negative experience, you get what you put into it. For completely valid reasons, his priority was his wife and child and for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like they really wanted to become engaged with the HBS community or partners club. I like knowing the good and bad aspects of the schools I'm considering so it was a valuable read in that respect.

Good point. I'll keep that in mind as I read through it. Now if I could only find you the equivalent book for Booth... :-D
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 684 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 18:00
eskimoroll wrote:
I actually read it a few weeks ago and I'm currently reading "Year One" as well.

Much better book than "Ahead of Curve" in my opinion but most of the facts/experience from that book is now outdated. After all, the guy in that book was a former Bain consultant who chose to attend HBS in 1990(ish ~) only because: 1) He was tired of working in Czech and its brutal winter, 2) his alma mater Stanford rejected him...

It's a great read if you want to find out about HBS back in those days but a lot of stuff mentioned in that book (coming to class 4AM in the morning to reserve a seat on very first day of class because that will be the permanent seat for the rest of the term; ridiculous computer/printer issues; etc) no longer applies anymore.

But still, awesome book if you have time to read it (and also, if you are lucky enough to find a copy of that book since it's been out of print for years)
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 20:29
looks like HBS is pulling away in both the poll and debate!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 20:46
Moss wrote:
looks like HBS is pulling away in both the poll and debate!

Well I think that's because I clarified that it really isn't a full-ride anymore and the price difference will probably be fairly small. In a heads up face-off with any school on these types of forums, HBS tends to come out on top simply due to the strength of its name.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 21:14
Think of it this way. If you are successful, the brand name of Booth or HBS will not matter in long term. Either decision you made you will think was the right decision and you will not think about it. If things do not go well, HBS brand name can bail you out more than a Booth brand name. Booth has really catapulted in ranking due to the flexible program, which even Wharton and HBS is adopting starting from 2012. Otherwise Booth is a very old fashioned finance school. If you want to go to Tech. Wharton and Stanford has a better brand name. Even Kellogg has a good presence in tech consulting.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 23:02
you are a business guy, will study business, will be prepared for business, by other words, will be prepared to gain money..so you should be very sensitive of money...so, go for Booth..believe me..the recruiter will NOT hire Booth or HBS, they will hire you..so whatever the school you attend..the key is within you NOT with the schools..simply because all of them are just GREAT schools..just go for the profitable option..
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 21:33
I would look at the long term pay-offs, rather than the immediate salary vs. the extra investment I need to make if I were to go to Harvard.
Apart from intangibles like recognition, brand image and grand-parents feeling happier, purely looking at the financial/ career aspect, I would examine, would going to Harvard give me any advantage over the long-term, let us say over the next 20-25 years? Would that advantage be worth the additional investment of $100K?
I remember reading an article in BW regarding the cumulative salary after MBA for 20 years, for MBA graduates from different schools.
I think Harvard had the highest cumulative salary.
I think the difference between Harvard and Chicago is more than $500K; of course you can also do discounting. While that is average, this may not apply to you!
The tricky question is would there be any long-term differences in the career progression and net-working effects and would these differences be worth $100K!

eskimoroll wrote:
NZOMNIAC wrote:
HBS

reason : top of the pecking order

just to pose question differently if you had full scholarship from HBS - what would you do
I am guessing u will take HBS
so if you remove money from the equation then u will take HBS

Sorry I am not as enlightened as others to think abt the subtle differences between Booth and HBS

Well it's both money ($100K) and the unique opportunity that comes with the specific program at Booth. But to be fair, yes, if I got a full ride to HBS, I'd choose HBS. $100K is a lot of money when I make about that amount now and will make about that amount when I graduate. The ROI seems pretty rough although the upside can be pretty good depending on how my career progresses.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 22:17
I'm of the belief that if you were to choose between schools without considering money, where would you want to go? If HBS was your dream school before Booth offered money, you should go to your dream and not double guess years down the road (although unlikely given Booth) what if you went to HBS and paid everything out of pocket.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 322

Kudos [?]: 1282 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 00:08
I would go with what the poster above said. Forget the money (and that's rich coming from a broke college kid). Go to the school that appeals to you more.

Personally, I'd take HBS hands down. No questions asked. The brand and resources are unparalleled. The money will not be so hard to come by if you have that resume stamp. Ask yourself if you'll regret either decision. :)

But. Congrats. This is an amazing problem to have.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 12:09
neildiamond wrote:
I'm of the belief that if you were to choose between schools without considering money, where would you want to go? If HBS was your dream school before Booth offered money, you should go to your dream and not double guess years down the road (although unlikely given Booth) what if you went to HBS and paid everything out of pocket.

Both schools are dream schools to me. Before I started researching MBA programs and going through the application process, I considered getting my MBA at local state school programs part-time. As a graduate of a state school, these "ultra-elite" schools never seemed to be a realistic place that I could attend. I felt that I was reaching when I applied to 5 top programs in round 1 and I hoped that I would be fortunate enough to get into one program. The fact that I would be accepted into three dream schools is a situation that I didn't even dare consider during the application process.

If money wasn't a factor I'd pick HBS because of the name/network/prestige/etc.

If name/network/prestige wasn't a factor, I'd choose Booth because of fit/demographic/campus/etc.

With that said, money IS a factor, name/network/prestige IS a factor, and fit IS a factor! I can't discount those things and say that one is more important to me than the other. I know I'll have an amazing time at both schools but I know my experience would be drastically different.

ASW will hopefully clear things up for me. I'm looking forward to meeting my potential classmates and trying to envision where I can see myself for the next two years.

The voting is now up to 87 votes and HBS seems to be pulling away! Thanks everyone for adding to this dialog and for voting.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 466 [0], given: 523

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 12:29
eskimoroll,

flip a coin. :)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 22:15
The one voice you haven't heard chime in on this thread yet is an HBS alum. It'd be interesting to hear what they'd do, based on their experiences with the brand name.

We had a member a few years back that actually went to HBS for CPG Marketing. I'll PM him and see if he's still hanging around.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 13:19
Av wrote:
The one voice you haven't heard chime in on this thread yet is an HBS alum. It'd be interesting to hear what they'd do, based on their experiences with the brand name.

We had a member a few years back that actually went to HBS for CPG Marketing. I'll PM him and see if he's still hanging around.

That definitely would be good to hear. I actually work at a CPG company where a large portion of our marketers are HBS grads. I think HBS has a bigger presence here than even Kellogg. All of them (several who are good friends of mine) think that it's a no brainer that you go to HBS and sort of take it for granted that I'm actually pretty undecided. They assume it's an inevitability. :roll:

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 14:20
Analytical Hierarchy Process. Draw a prioritization matrix. Engineering Design FTW
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 14:46
whiplash2411 wrote:
Analytical Hierarchy Process. Draw a prioritization matrix. Engineering Design FTW

I have no idea what you just wrote. :?:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 15:30
so out of curiosity, have you decided?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 19:32
eskimoroll wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:

I have no idea what you just wrote. :?:

Haha. It's a process that allocates numerical weights to each solution (school) based on a preference scale established for certain prerequisite criteria. Then you can get a final number if you normalize the matrices for each factor and voila, a numerical answer.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 21:30
Makes sense. Good luck and keep us posted :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 07:49
Oh the suspence!!! Congrats again, dude.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride)   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2011, 07:49