Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

HBS vs. Booth (full-ride)

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [10]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [5]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [5]
Send PM
The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink]
Kudos
Since I've been getting some questions about my application process (which I definitely welcome!), I wanted to share an interview that I did for a blogger who contacted me. Here's the link to his blog and I'm posting my responses here as well. https://thembapath.blogspot.com/

Edited to add: I did end up deciding to attend HBS but I had typed up these responses in advance of attending ASW. :-D

1) Tell me a little bit about your background.

I am a normal kid from Chicago who attended a state school where I studied supply chain management although I consider myself a quasi-poet since I considered going into creative writing as an undergrad until I realized that I like being able to pay my rent. During college I interned for a large CPG company working in a plant environment and I developed an appreciation for supply chain work. Upon graduation, I moved to Wisconsin to work for another large CPG company and learned how to succeed in a corporate environment in various roles that involved working for large customers in a supply chain capacity. After a few years in Wisconsin, I was recruited to work in Logistics at another large CPG company located in Minneapolis where I’ve been for the last 4.5 years. My current company has been wonderful to work for and they gave me the opportunity to grow as a leader who can influence across an organization.

2) What made you decide to get an MBA?

My parents were blue collar workers but being Asian, I grew up in a household that really valued education. Almost immediately after graduation, my parents began asking me when I was going back to school. I always told them that I was working in a field that didn’t necessarily value an MBA and that maybe I would get an MBA part-time at the local college if I had time. As my career progressed, they stopped asking about school and between work and getting married, an MBA was not a priority. Ironically, it was my last promotion that got me thinking about going back to school. I was identified as a manager with high potential and I realized that I was on track to have a very successful career in supply chain. I started asking myself whether I really saw myself as a supply chain professional for the rest of my life.

Working in CPG my entire career, I had developed a deep respect for the power of branding and I started thinking that I’d like the opportunity to build and lead a brand rather than simply supporting a brand. I am fortunate to be surrounded by an exceptional group of friends who all happened to have MBAs (ranging from HBS, Stanford, and Booth to state programs). While they were not all in favor of me going back to school full time (for various valid reasons including financial reasons), I knew that if I wanted to switch careers I needed the experience a full time program offers particularly through the summer internship. At that point, I signed up for a Princeton Review GMAT course offered at my work and told myself that if I got a strong score (700+), I would apply for an MBA.

3) You were extremely successful with your applications this year; can you tell me a little bit about your strategy?

I definitely was nervous about applying to school because I didn’t necessarily fit the profile of a rock star MBA candidate. I was older (30 at matriculation), I had worked in industry my entire career, and my undergrad was not from an elite institution. With that said, I knew that for me personally, I needed to attend a top program in order to work in Marketing for a company like the one I work for. I primarily chose schools based on geography, reputation, and program strengths. Being from Chicago, I applied to Booth and Kellogg and since I had friends in Boston, I applied to HBS and Sloan. I also applied to Stanford because it’s really cold here in Minnesota and the idea of studying in sunny California seemed really appealing to me! I hoped that I would get accepted by one program out of the five but I also was worried that I hadn’t applied to any safety schools.

My strategy was simple. I read everything I could about the schools and the MBA application process and I really took the advice I received to heart. I did a lot of self-reflection and tried to provide a complete picture of who I am through my application. I have always been a strong participant in community activities and service throughout my life and I found that those experiences were really something that I could talk about in my essays along with my work experiences. In particular, I am a kayaking instructor (whitewater, sea kayaking, and Greenland style kayaking) and in that capacity, I’ve led and/or created several different kayaking organizations, have lead events, and have had the opportunity to give back to the community in unique ways.

As a former creative writer, my essays tended to be wordy (word counts are the worst!) but fortunately I had a very good friend edit all of my essays for me. She has a very critical eye and a great track record for helping people get into great MBA programs (she’s a Booth graduate). I also think that being ahead of the game from a timing standpoint helped me out tremendously. I took the GMAT in April and immediately after that exam, I began planning what I needed to get done in order to hit round 1 deadlines for all the schools I was applying to. I wanted to have admission decisions by Christmas so that I could enjoy my holidays with my family. That pre-planning also enabled me to visit schools, prepare my recommenders (I put together a packet with school profiles, my accomplishments, my goals, recommendation questions, etc.), and get a good start on my essays.

I submitted all of my applications well in advance of the deadlines and I felt that I had put together a solid picture of who I am as an individual. Fortunately, Harvard, Kellogg, and Booth agreed and they invited me to interview.

4) What was the interview process like with HBS, Kellogg, and Booth?

For Kellogg and Booth, I chose to interview with alumni locally here in Minneapolis. I had great conversations with both alumni and I tried to connect with them on a personal level and share with them my enthusiasm for my work, their school, my goals, and how I could contribute to their program. Although I get nervous like anyone else, I really enjoy the actual interview process and I knew coming out of those two interviews that I had put my best foot forward.

HBS was a totally different story. I did not have the option to interview locally which I would have preferred since I had already visited the school before. I flew out to Boston and I was a little intimidated by the experience. Unlike my prior interviews which were casual and long (45 minutes or longer), the HBS interview is very structured and exactly 30 minutes long. I feed off of the energy that my interviewer provides so I found it a little unnerving that the HBS adcom did not show a lot of emotion. Most of the questions were pretty standard although I was thrown a couple little curve balls since my interviewer had significant experience in my industry. I remember rambling on a couple times and he had to cut me short at times. I was kicking myself afterwards for losing my focus but I remember telling him at the end that I had fun which I think surprised him because I doubt he hears that very often. I walked out of that interview knowing that I didn’t blow it but also knowing that I hadn’t performed nearly as well as my prior two interviews. I’ve been in regular contact with that admissions director since my admit and he’s been a great help to me as I have been going through my decision process.

5) What was the most difficult step for you in the entire application process?

The most difficult step for me besides the agonizing waiting that occurs for interview invites and eventual decisions to be reached was the GMAT. I had been out of school for 7 years and had to learn how to study all over again. It was a trying time for me and particularly my wife because I became a bit consumed by the process. I spent hours each evening and every weekend studying for the exam and sacrificed my social life for two months. My wife had been used to spending lots of time with me and she definitely felt a bit neglected which translated to her being apprehensive about the idea of me even going back to school. While studying for the GMAT was really important, I know that in hindsight I was being selfish in not thinking about how what I was doing would affect those around me. That is definitely something that is front of mind as we look to both leave our jobs to share in this new adventure.

Oh and as far as the GMAT goes, I have always been a good standardized test taker (I tend to get extra relaxed in those testing rooms even though I’m tense leading up to that moment) and though I was hoping for a 700, I was ecstatic when I received a 750.

6) What do you plan to do post MBA?

Post MBA, I am hoping to go into brand management. While I would be proud to return to my company and lead one of our amazing brands, I am also interested in learning more about product and brand management in other industries besides CPG (tech in particular). I also have entrepreneurial aspirations and while I don’t know if that will be the path I take immediately out of school, I do hope to be able to lead my own company some day.

7) Do you have any advice for the readers?

My advice would be to develop a strong sense of self-awareness or surround yourself with people who can accurately help you understand who you are as a person. My friends, family, and mentors helped ground me as a person and they helped me understand particular areas that I needed to grow in. My GPA, GMAT, etc. didn’t get me into the schools I applied to since they were in the general range. Rather it was insights into my character and a deeper view of who I am that differentiated me. I entered into this process worried that I might be lumped into a generic grouping of “asian guy who’s good at math” but through the self-reflection process, I realized that there is much more to me than that stereotype and it was up to me to share that through my application.

This is a funny process. On one hand, we are asked to share our accomplishments and talk about how amazing we are but on the other hand, we are asked to be humble. We are asked to have an open mind about the many opportunities that await us after business school but the application requires that we state a very defined career goal. It’s tough to balance those things. It was easy to be humble because I knew the caliber of people I would potentially be working with in b-school. I felt inadequate at times about my background, my intelligence, and my experiences but at the same time I knew that my abilities, accomplishments, and experiences were unique and should not be trivialized.

Don’t let this process defeat you. My GMAT class’ mantra was “we are more than our GMAT score” which definitely applies to the entire business school application process. Being admitted or rejected to school X shouldn’t define you and a person’s self-worth should not be tied to this result. I am going to school to better myself as a leader, as a teammate, and as a person but through this process, I’ve learned that I’m pretty darn proud of what I’ve accomplished and no school can take that away from me.

8) Have you decided which b-school you will attend yet? If so, what was the deciding factor?

I have currently narrowed it down to either Booth or HBS. Booth has offered me a very generous fellowship along with the opportunity to be mentored by a marketing executive during my two years at school. As someone who has really benefited from mentorship throughout my career, this is an amazing opportunity. The school is incredible, the students are brilliant yet humble, and the flexibility of the program is really appealing. Harvard on the other hand is an amazing school in its own right. It is the most prestigious and influential of all the MBA programs with a hugely powerful alumni network. The resources at Harvard are without peer and the case method of studying is something that I really enjoy.

The deciding factors for me will be partly financial and partly my impressions of my fellow admits. To be candid, I was concerned that business school would be filled with competitive jerks who think only of themselves. Fortunately, those people seem to be in the minority. I am looking for intellectually curious people who I would enjoy learning from and collaborating with. I have already attended Booth’s admit weekend and am looking forward to HBS’ admit weekend as well. Following that, I will take a couple days to think over the two schools with my wife and then make the best choice for us as a family.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink]
Kudos
In my humble opinion since you arent looking to join PE or HF, and have a pretty good deal from Booth its a no brainer. The difference in brand is not going to have the same impact as if you wanted an exotic finance gig where brand is everything. Plus the advantage of having a special fellowship program should not be ignored, that will open a lot of doors and in many ways is a bigger advantage than being one of 900 at HBS. If it was a lesser school than Booth, it would be a far harder decision.

Also there is a lot to be said for graduating with no debt. You are looking at the same 100-120k salary coming out of school at both schools but one you are looking at 100-150k worth of debt depending on the size of loans you are taking out. Brand of school isn't as important in the industry world, many senior executives you will work with dont have MBA's and wont know or care about brand really. Its a different world than consulting and finance. Once you are working how successful you are is going to depend on what you can do for the company and not where you went.

I have several friends who ended up at Kellogg over HBS for a variety of reasons, ranging from a spouse who got into K but not HBS to someone with a large scholarship to someone who decided based on fit and career path. Its not unheard of to turn down HBS, sometimes on boards like this people are overly brand sensitive. Visit both schools and think hard about it. The ROI for you seems to be much better for Booth right now, and in the business world thats not a bad way to look at your decision...you arent looking for a job with a 500k first year out of school potential so zero debt is a huge motivator.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
I think the alumni and students above have given a good perspective from the other side of life - the realities post graduation.

The only fields I think HBS has significant leverage is PE. It is almost like a closed shop and brand or connections really matter to them - they like one of their own. VC in Boston perhaps, but certainly not the west coast. HF are in the most part guys who didn't even get an MBA, so it is difficult to say.

With your career path, as others have wisely noted, the lack of debt will be a big difference to you. It might even give you an edge when considering opportunities - you aren't looking for the highest salary to meet your loans, but are looking for the best opportunity that may involve a cash sacrifice for some time. The programs are all really similar - I know rhyme and I have laughed about the lack of distinction a bit. You will meet people who can't add up at both schools and will wonder why they are there, you will meet some of the smartest and sharpest people in your life as well.

The Booth opportunity sounds really interesting, and for the field you are in shares the same level of access to firms. But you will be able to have more fun at Booth, because going 20k into debt to have a riot isn't like adding another 20k onto 100k.

I suppose the only difference is whether you will wish you had gone to Harvard when you are older. Honestly, I very much doubt you will. I am not bothered by the fact I never applied to H/S/W, purely because they didn't work for where my life was at and where my family needed to be. OK, maybe I wish I had applied to Stanford, because the weather and lifestyle out there is awesome. But in the most part, it really doesn't matter and I have never felt my education is inferior to that of any of the so called "top tier" firms.

By way of reflection, a year out of school and I have recently been laid off and am on a job search. So far I have had one person mention my MBA, because he was an alumnus. No one else has even mentioned it - it is there on the sheet of paper, it is in the past and just assures them that I - most probably - am not an idiot.

Finally, the whole commuter school thing that applicants seem to create is the biggest pile of crap I have ever seen. It is as though there is some belief that living in a hamlet would build a bigger sense of "community". You all head to the same fricking building, you all have cell phones to arrange stuff. Where you live really doesn't matter unless you want to be a peeping tom or a stalker. People are well wired up to move around, be contactable and have an experience beyond living on each others toes.

I am confident Booth has an excellent atmosphere.

If you like sitting in a room, drinking beer and deriving Pi to 314 decimal places.

But at Harvard you will hear people talking about who their parents are and who they know more than about themselves, so.....

Ignore the stereotypes. Visit the schools again. Meet the students. Take time over your decision to support your own mind. Once you have done that, I expect you will go to Booth. But wherever you go, you will go with the peace of mind that you really thought things through.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Kudos
I honestly think this talk about brand name support ten years down the line is over rated. Your best bet is to talk to people who are actually ten years down the road and see what they say. If your father is in a management position ask him what he would look for in a candidate. Chances are at that point they won't care as much where you did your MBA as they would look at what you achieved over the last ten years. People want to see results. My dad told me one thing based on his experience of life. Your degree only gets you your job. Your character, skills and attitude are what help you keep it and grow in it. If both schools can help you achieve your short term goals I think its a no brainer. Of course there are other personal preferences for you to consider. Cohort system, case study system, etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
You got a full ride to one of the top five business schools in the world which also happens to have the most momentum of any school in its class. You said you would choose this school in a blind taste test due to program, fit, and culture. You said you're interested in entrepreneurship which would be infinitely easier without student loan debt.

But you're going to trade it all away on a NAME? That's one expensive t-shirt.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
manohar wrote:
I think the difference between Harvard and Chicago is more than $500K; of course you can also do discounting. While that is average, this may not apply to you!
The tricky question is would there be any long-term differences in the career progression and net-working effects and would these differences be worth $100K!

I would say that 100k is probably going to be closer to 120-125k when you are done with it due to loan origination fees, interest, and the fact tuition goes up pretty quickly. Not a huge difference but still 20-25% more than you are thinking about.

That 500k on average I think is probably greatly a result of the very high paying finance/banking fields. Someone working in a PE firm is going to make many times what someone in a GM role is 10 years after school. Even CEO's make a fraction of what someone running a PE or HF does. I would say that average salary differences over a career in the same corporate function will be much less than 500k. Brand matters in the corporate world but its not as big of deal breaker as in the finance fields. I don't think a single of the senior executives in my company has an MBA, a few have done executive certificate programs. For advance degrees one has a JD, one has a masters in finance, and one a masters in engineering...the rest just have undergrad degrees.

Personally if I had to make this decision I would go to Booth, the same would be said for full ride at any of the other top 5 schools (MIT, Kellogg, Booth, Wharton)...heck 100k+ would have me ignoring fit and dealing with being less excited about where I am going. As someone paying back student loans for my MBA, I can tell you that not having what amounts to basically a mortgage payment is something to consider. I know people who took out 150k+ of loans and are paying more towards their loans than they are for rent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
So this little drama in my life has come to an end. I attended HBS' ASW and I was blown away. As far as jerk test goes, everyone I met were genuine people that I really liked. I'm sure the jerks were there but I didn't meet any of them so Harvard passed the character test with flying colors. I still wasn't sure through the first day but participating in a class with Professor Ramon Casadesus-Masanell got me really fired up and his passion for teaching made me feel passion for learning. Also, seeing Dean Nohria speak was great and Youngme Moon is ridiculously impressive. She quelled all my concerns about the school and really inspired me.

I guess the difference was that Booth made me feel like I could achieve my goal of being a great marketer or a great product manager but with HBS, I felt like I could achieve things that I haven't even thought of yet. What was most surprising was that I got a sense that the HBS faculty and administration were hungry to make the educational experience at HBS even richer. They weren't resting on their legacy and that in turn made me hungry to be a part of that experience.

So at the end of the day... I have formally accepted their offer and I will be part of Harvard Business School's class of 2013.

P.S. Oh and everyone (friends, family, random strangers on the street, etc.) all thought that it was an easy decision and I was just coming to my senses. Maybe they're all right but I know that I needed to take this decision extremely seriously and I refused to be blinded simply by the name of Harvard. :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
I'm on exchange at Booth right now and I voted for booth. Here are my reasons why :
- You will learn stuff. I mean seriously - the academics are thorough - in-depth and top notch. Not that you won't learn stuff at HBS, but here there is no obsession with teaching methodologies etc., just pure hard learning and it is all very heavily data driven. It is the Chicago way and boothies are rightfully proud of it.
- You will fit better - the average age is slightly higher than other schools I have visited and people seem more mature.
- As mentioned earlier (several time) there is hardly any difference between firms coming to these two schools to recruit
- You can go on exchange (maybe not the most important criteria but I dont believe HBS has an exchange program, correct me if I'm wrong)

Good luck. In the end its totally understandable if you go to HBS to avoid the sense of "what if" - these decisions in life have a strong emotional component it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore, let me know if I can help with the hunt. PM me.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
I voted for Booth.

rhyme, riverripper and 3underscore have provided very good reasons. +1
I would add something more.

I think that $ makes you mulling about your decision. see my example below.
Pros and cons of schools have been discussed before and htey are fairly equal top MBA programmes.

I think that even now after long posts and discussions you are tempted by HBS mainly because of its brand. look at the heading and voting- you put HBS first, but it may be accidentally.

Personally I would not choose HBS because as you said students at HBS are younger. They tend to admit younger candidates.
Among reasons I think younger students have less expereince, knowledge and expertise. At the age of 26 they have 3-4 years of experience out of which 1 year-for "monkey-do & monkey-see" job (though there could be exceptions but generally it is so) and a 1 year for MBA preparation (GMAT, applications, and etc.) and half a year when you got an admit . So full time experience of an admitted candiated at the age of 25-26 looks like 4-2=2 years.

Of course it depends! you may meet a very bright candidate at the age of 24-25 at HBS and a mediocre one at the age of 29-30 in other schools but IMHO on the average older candidates have more experience and you learn from experience as well.

Now I will give you an example, simple and may be funny a bit: Just imagine you would be offered admits in the folling scenarios:

scenario 1: admit to HBS and Booth with no $ (was discussed before) I think you will choose HBS.
scenario 2: admit to HBS and Booth with 2 k$ what would you choose? I think HBS this time again.
scenario 3: admit to HBS and Booth with 3 k$ what would you choose? ........?
.............................................................................................................................................
scenario 100: admit to HBS and Booth with 100 k$ what would you choose?

At a certain point you will not be sure about HBS and tend to choose Booth. think about it.

just my 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
I voted for Booth.

HBS pros:
- Best business school brand in the world -- an important variable if you want an international career.
- Incredible campus

HBS cons:
- populated by kids -- being 2-3 years above the average is not a small factor (you won't be among peers in HBS)

Booth pros:
- Great brand
- Great school
- Flexible curriculum -- the most flexible of all schools; the ENORMOUS importance of this only dawns once you b-start school

Booth cons:
- Cold
- Midwest

With not full-ride, I would choose HBS.

With full-ride at Booth, I would not even doubt it. Booth all the way. Going through school with no debt will allow you to experience school differently, in a better way, with no stress. You will get the most out of it. Go to HBS, finish school at 30 with 180k on the red side, and you may force yourself to become a banker just to pay the debt quickly. Go to Booth with all paid for, and the world is yours.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Best,
pk
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Okay I realize that he's going to HBS because of the clarification of the financial aid fellowships at Booth but I read this and tried to make a very simple model. Based on it there was a clear benefit to going to HBS.
Attachments

rough guess.xlsx [10.02 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
Eskimoroll,

What a fascinating situation to be In???? While most of us here are scratching our heads to even have a glimpse of what these BIG - B Schools ''look'' like , You have been ''Invited'' already and to , three of them !!

I have no much experience at this , as I read posts to learn from but I would say one thing - Since You have already weighed in so many ''materialistic'' factors , put them aside for a while , Just ask your heart where it wants to be , where do you see yourself living more happy, where do you think the two years to be spent would make a classic chapter in your life filled with wonderful memories, filled with learning experiences that make you a better man, and where do you think you could find good friends who would add colour to your life ???

Though I have a feeling, Your already in Tune with going to HBS :-D

P.S - I am using the above formula ONLY cos Life is much more about evolving as a Human , than about evolving as a corporate money making ''machine'' .

Also I had a wonderful sms which read something like this '' If your faced with two choices, which you love equally, and have determined each one on all parameters, then ... toss a coin .. and while the coin is in Mid Air, your heart would pray for one result(Either Head or Tail ), and BINGO !! , You know what You desire''

Good Luck with decision and God Bless.

Rhyme - I seriously liked your blatant outburst about the cons and am beginning to admire the kind of person you are. God Bless.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
whiplash2411 wrote:
eskimoroll wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
Analytical Hierarchy Process. Draw a prioritization matrix. Engineering Design FTW

I have no idea what you just wrote. :?:

Haha. It's a process that allocates numerical weights to each solution (school) based on a preference scale established for certain prerequisite criteria. Then you can get a final number if you normalize the matrices for each factor and voila, a numerical answer.

Ahh, I follow now. We use those when we do failure mode effects analysis on large projects. Since I'd be subjectively defining the numerical weights for the various criteria, the process of doing something like that would probably reveal my inner bias toward one school or the other.

In my head, I think I'm going to be a little more simplistic. My criteria are career opportunity, financial support, and quality of classmates. From a career opportunity standpoint, I think the unique Booth fellowship or the Harvard name will both get me to the place I want to go so that's pretty much tied. For financial support... I've applied for financial aid from HBS so hopefully I'll have some information on that front but I suspect that it will be close to the Booth fellowship since that turned out to be not a full-ride. So that just leaves my classmates. I'll attend both admit weekends and whichever school has higher percentage of people that I'd want to work with (nice people), is probably the school I'll pick.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Just posting a quick update...

I attended Booth's ASW a couple weekends ago and had a great time. The people (faculty, students, and fellow admits) were warm and welcoming and Chicago is an amazing city. I also got a slight bump up on my fellowship which was a nice little surprise.

As far as HBS goes, I'm flying out this Wednesday for their ASW. I got my financial aid from HBS and it pretty much was a half-tuition fellowship which I was thrilled to get. So while Booth still is offering me $12K more than HBS, overall it is a wash from a financial standpoint as far as I'm concerned. Pretty much it's Booth's mentorship opportunity vs. HBS' network/brand/etc. My wife really enjoyed the partners club at Booth so once she has a chance to experience HBS' partners club, we'll have the information needed to make our decision. I should know one way or another this weekend! :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
wow, congrats on this great achievement in the first place!!! If it were me, I'd probably take Booth with its full ride. HBS, no doubt, has the brand recognition, but had we been comparing HBS with, say, Darden, it would be a different story. Booth itself is a fantastic school! Booth will get you the access you need to go anywhere, just as HBS would. In either school you'll still have to do the legwork, but you're definitely not limited in achieving anything if you choose Booth. So I would go with Booth and save yourself a good $100k tuition!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
That's a tough decision, but you should be comforted by knowing that neither choice is wrong. If you go to Booth, you'll have awesome opportunities, a great education, and the relief of having no student loans (unless you need cash for cost of living). If you go to HBS, you'll have arguably the best brand name and access to the very best opportunities. I think your decision really depends on your goals. If you can achieve you goals at both schools, it's probably best to take the full-ride at Booth and enjoy the next two years in Chicago. Booth is an awesome school, but I think we can all appreciate the temptation to choose HBS on brand name alone. My alum interviewer for Booth, a private equity guy, was actually pretty dissatisfied with the Booth brand name outside of Chicago. He said he really enjoyed his time at the school, but the flexibility of the curriculum makes it difficult for employers to know what they're buying. It was strange to listen to my interviewer talk about his dissatisfaction with the school, but he made it pretty obvious that he'd have gone to HBS if he had the chance. I don't think he's a great example of a Booth graduate, but he has a perspective worth considering. You should probably PM rhyme for the best advice.

Good luck! The next two years of your life are going to be very exciting at either school :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5