Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [20]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [11]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 01-19-2013
Send PM
Re: The town of Malmo, Sweden has only two late-night food [#permalink]
Excellent explanation by PlaPon.
I want to add my 10 cents:
1. In these type of questions we have to assume that Total number is 100. we really do not need to fight with %
2. This particular question asks us to make an assumption second time when it says street/permanent=7/3. It is clear for us that it is 70/30.
3. Now it is an easy 550 level question!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
It seems to me that the problem statement is somewhat unclear. It is still possible that some of the late-night street vendors serve both pizza and kebab.

Thus, the answer is between 16% and 76%.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
The town of Malmo, Sweden has only two late-night food options: Pizza and Kebab. All sellers of late-night food have either a street permit or a permanent store permit. 60% of all the late-night food sellers in Malmo are street vendors that serve Kebab; 20% of all the late-night food sellers who have a permanent store serve Pizza. If Malmo’s ratio of total street permits to total permanent store permits is exactly 7 to 3, what percentage of all late-night food sellers in Malmo serve pizza?

(A) 10%

(B) 16%

(C) 24%

(D) 30%

(E) 70%

In my mind, the grain of doubt is minuscule, if at all. It is the way the question is written.
Sure, in sets, 60% vendors serve kebabs implies that the other 40% do not serve kebabs. It doesn't imply that only 40% serve pizzas. It is certainly possible that some or all of those 60% serve pizzas too. So the % that serves pizza could be higher. But two things weigh in favor of the intended interpretation.

1. 'that serve kebab' qualifies 'street vendors'. We will say that '60% are street vendors that serve kebab' only if we mean '60% are street vendors that serve only kebab and no other street vendor serves kebab'. If some of those 60% serve pizza too, we must say '60% are street vendors that serve at least kebab'. Of course, to remove all doubts, a better idea would have been to write it clearly.

2. It is a PS question so the intended meaning is quite obvious.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 702
Send PM
carcass wrote:
The town of Malmo, Sweden has only two late-night food options: Pizza and Kebab. All sellers of late-night food have either a street permit or a permanent store permit. 60% of all the late-night food sellers in Malmo are street vendors that serve Kebab; 20% of all the late-night food sellers who have a permanent store serve Pizza. If Malmo’s ratio of total street permits to total permanent store permits is exactly 7 to 3, what percentage of all late-night food sellers in Malmo serve pizza?

(A) 10%
(B) 16%
(C) 24%
(D) 30%
(E) 70%

"60% of all the late-night food sellers in Malmo are street vendors that serve Kebab; 20% of all the late-night food sellers who have a permanent store serve Pizza" is ambiguous. It means the total number of street vendors is 60 and they all serve kebab. It is contradictory to the ratio of 7:3.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts