Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 13:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The traditional treatment of strep infections has been a seven-day course of antibiotics,either penicillin or erythromycin. However, since many patients stop taking those drugs within three days, reinfection is common in cases where those drugs are prescribed. A new antibiotic requires only a three-day course of treatment. Therefore, reinfection will
probably be less common in cases where the new antibiotic is prescribed than in cases where either penicillin or erythromycin is prescribed.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
A. Some of the people who are allergic to penicillin are likely to be allergic to the new antibiotic.
B. A course of treatment with the new antibiotic costs about the same as a course of treatment with either penicillin or erythromycin.
C. The new antibiotic has been shown to be effective in eradicating bacterial infections other than strep.
D. Some physicians have already begun to prescribe the new antibiotic instead of penicillin or erythromycin for the treatment of some strep infections.
E. Regardless of whether they take a traditional antibiotic or the new one, most patients feel fully recovered after taking the drug for three days.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 14:16
C and D are close.

A,B and E are not strengthening.

D talks about some physicians and not so strong in supporting the new antibiotic .

C seems to be more strengthening (eradicating bacterial infections which is reinfection in this case).

Going for C
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 14:30
Should be E.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 19:06
I too will go for E. Not confident.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 19:15
Conclusion says "reinfection will probably be less common in cases where the new antibiotic is prescribed"

E says whether you take new drug or the old, you will feel better after 3 days. How that is helping the conclusion and how it is addressing reinfection issue ?

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 19:24
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Conclusion says "reinfection will probably be less common in cases where the new antibiotic is prescribed"

E says whether you take new drug or the old, you will feel better after 3 days. How that is helping the conclusion and how it is addressing reinfection issue ?

I thought E is possible because, after using the new drug, the patient will not feel weak even after 3 days. There is a possibility of feeling weak because the duration of the drug is shortened, so more dosage or more powerful drug is being used for cure. As the patient feels recovered after three days, he/she might go for new drug, and reinfection will probably be less common.

B is possible. Because, if the new drug is too expensive, then relatively fewer patients would go for it, and might continue with old drug, and reinfection might continue.

C could have been best without "other than strep"

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 20:04
Has to be between B and E.
I'll go with E as it stays closer to the conclusion than B. B focuses on cost, while E focuses on the course-period.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 20:17
Holy Cow ! How reinfection and effectiveness is addressed by E ? .... According to E, the new drug has no significant advantage over old one ....

I generally do not question the quality of questions but seriously I didn't get it... What is the source of this CR ? What is OA and OE ?

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 21:44
Good Work guys.
The official answer is E

E; A-D are irrelevant. If the new antibiotic requires only a three-day course of treatment, and it takes three days for most patients to feel fully recovered, regardless of which antibiotic the patient is taking, then most patients who have been prescribed the new antibiotic should complete the full course of the drug before they feel better and, hence, before they are likely to discontinue the drug.

Cant reveal the source..but an impt question.

I neglected answer E as soon as I saw regardless...
lesson to be learnt:be more vigilant on the answer choices
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 22:39
skandhadarshan wrote:
Good Work guys.
The official answer is E

E; A-D are irrelevant. If the new antibiotic requires only a three-day course of treatment, and it takes three days for most patients to feel fully recovered, regardless of which antibiotic the patient is taking, then most patients who have been prescribed the new antibiotic should complete the full course of the drug before they feel better and, hence, before they are likely to discontinue the drug.

Cant reveal the source..but an impt question.

I neglected answer E as soon as I saw regardless...
lesson to be learnt:be more vigilant on the answer choices

Phew !

"Cant reveal the source" - why ? any chance of going to jail ? LOL !

As far as the explanation goes, it 100% failed to address the conclusion that taking new drug will stop the reinfection and therefore a better choice than the conventional medicine ....

"but an impt question" - what's so important about this CR ? I wonder ...

"lesson to be learnt:be more vigilant on the answer choice" - if crap like this shows up on GMAT, I really wonder whether vigilance of the test taker can overcome idocacy of the test writer .....

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 23:26
1) traditional treatment of strep infection = 7 day course of a antibioitic
2) antibiotics used = penicillin or erythromcyin
3) many patients stop taking antibiotics within 3 days
4) reinfection therefore occurs
5) new antibiotic requires only 3 days course

Conclusion
6) Reinfection will be less common where new antibiotic is prescribed
Therefore, reinfection will

Need to find a statement that holds up this conclusion

A - irrelevant
B - irrelevant
C - we are not told reinfection is caused by bacterial infection. Out.
D - in some ways, this weakens the argument
E - if they feel fully recovered, they will stop the medication. So if a 3-day course is sufficient, then re-infection is less likely in the new drug.
  [#permalink] 12 Nov 2006, 23:26