Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 4

The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:02) correct 70% (01:10) wrong based on 309 sessions
The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations have inflation rates of less than three percent and resist external tariffs.

(A) economy of the member nations have inflation rates of less than three percent and resist
(B) economy of each member nation have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to
(C) every economy of the member nations have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to
(D) economies of each member nation have inflation rates of three percent or less and are resistant to
(E) economies of every member nation have three percent or less of an inflation rate and resist
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 06:08
Can you please try to format and underline the questions before posting.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 06:17
Hi sudeep i think it looks better now ,thanks for correcting ..:)
The treaty specifies that the economy of the member
nations have inflation rates of less than three percent
and resist
external tariffs.

a) economy of the member nations have inflation
rates of less than three percent and resist

b) economy of each member nation have an
inflation rate of less than three percent and
be resistant to

c) every economy of the member nations have
an inflation rate of less than three percent
and be resistant to

d) economies of each member nation have
inflation rates of three percent or less and
are resistant to

e) economies of every member nation have three
percent or less of an inflation rate and resist
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 12:26
sudeep wrote:
B for subjunctive mood.

Hi Sudeep,

quick question though, economy of each member nation ( singular) - 'has' instead of ' have' , this is incorrect in B. could you please explain more
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 12:49
ISBtarget wrote:
sudeep wrote:
B for subjunctive mood.

Hi Sudeep,

quick question though, economy of each member nation ( singular) - 'has' instead of ' have' , this is incorrect in B. could you please explain more

That's what I wanted to point out. I don't like any of the answer choices. Am I missing something here?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 23:21
i dont have a OA for this ,thats d problem ,source is princeton though
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [3] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 03:05
This post received
KUDOS
ISBtarget wrote:
sudeep wrote:
B for subjunctive mood.

Hi Sudeep,

'specifies that' is equivalent to 'requires that' in this case. Sentence is in subjunctive mood.

The treaty specifies that the economy of each member nation (have) inflation rates of less than three percent and (resist) external tariffs.

For subjunctive mood we use infinitive form irrespective of the singularity or plurality of the subject.

A is wrong in meaning, as it implies that there is a single economy for multiple nations.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 48

Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 08:30
Could you please explain more elaborately
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 10:38
sudeep wrote:
ISBtarget wrote:
sudeep wrote:
B for subjunctive mood.

Hi Sudeep,

'specifies that' is equivalent to 'requires that' in this case. Sentence is in subjunctive mood.

The treaty specifies that the economy of each member nation (have) inflation rates of less than three percent and (resist) external tariffs.

For subjunctive mood we use infinitive form irrespective of the singularity or plurality of the subject.

A is wrong in meaning, as it implies that there is a single economy for multiple nations.

Good explanation. I somehow subconsciously skipped subjunctive part. Bare form have is correct. +1 from me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 14:11
I am a bit confused. Do we use subjunctive for the word "specify"? I will need to relook at the list.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 18:31
This post received
KUDOS
Its A

In other options we see "each" or "Every" and this should always be followed by singular i.e "has" and not "have" as we are talking about each individual

Hope this explains........

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 21:27
+1 for B

a.wrong in meaning as it implies single economy for many nations.
b.'Each member nation', this takes plural verb since we are talking about many nations inside a group 'member nation'
c.Wrong for using 'every economy'. Means there are more than 1 economy in a nation
d.economies of each member also means there are more than 1 economy in a nation
e.economies of every member also means there are more than 1 economy in a nation
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 05:14
sorry for the mistake

B is correct only if have is replaced by has

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 01:14
sacmanitin wrote:
The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations have inflation rates of less than three percent and resist external tariffs.

(A) economy of the member nations have inflation rates of less than three percent and resist
(B) economy of each member nation have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to
(C) every economy of the member nations have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to
(D) economies of each member nation have inflation rates of three percent or less and are resistant to
(E) economies of every member nation have three percent or less of an inflation rate and resist

Command subjunctive. B wins. Correct Parallelism.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 06:53
can someone list the frequently used verb in subjunctive mood? I have the following:

Demand, Insist, Propose, Require, Mandate, Dictate, Stipulate, and Suggest.
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 07:04
cananybody guide me to some likn giving details of subjunctive

just one more month for exam...

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 231 [2] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mohan514 wrote:
cananybody guide me to some likn giving details of subjunctive

The answer is B.

A can be eliminated because "economy of the member nations" suggests that all the nations together have one economy.

C is awkward in putting "every" before "economy" instead of "nation." It is not clear from C that each member nation has one economy.

D and E can be eliminated because "economies of each member nation" and "economies of every member nation" imply that each member nation has more than one economy.

In B, the verbs "have" and "be" are correct because "treaty specifies that" is an expression of requirement, which takes the subjunctive: "The treaty specifies (i.e. requires) that the economy of each member nation have... and be..."
The present subjunctive is required in that clauses after verbs of requirement, recommendation, and request. These verbs include: require, mandate, insist, command, demand, stipulate, recommend, propose, suggest, urge, advise, move, request, ask, desire. The present subjunctive is also used in that clauses after adjectives and nouns derived from these verbs: required, requirement, requested, request, desirable, recommended, recommendation, proposed, proposal, suggested, suggestion, advised, advisable, advice, motion, etc. It is also used in that clauses after other adjectives and nouns of requirement, recommendation, and request: necessary, essential, critical, vital, imperative, urgent, important, condition.

Here are some real GMAT Sentence Correction sentences that use the present subjunctive:

The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks.

Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers who demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

The commission proposed that funding for the development of the park, which could be open to the public early next year, be obtained through a local bond issue.

Most state constitutions now mandate that the state budget be balanced each year.

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results published.

Judicial rules in many states require that the identities of all prosecution witnesses be made known to defendants so that they can attempt to rebut the testimony, but the Constitution explicitly requires only that the defendant have the opportunity to confront an accuser in court.

During her presidency of the short-lived Woman’s State Temperance Society (1852-1853), Elizabeth Cady Stanton, a staunch advocate of liberalized divorce laws, scandalized many of her most ardent supporters by suggesting that drunkenness be made sufficient cause for divorce.

Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they not be named in the press reports.

The new regulations mandate that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.

Bankers require that the financial information presented to them by mortgage applicants be complete and follow a prescribed format.

Visit the link also http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/06/subjunctive-verbs.html

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: Q39 V29
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 7

Re: The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 02:58
x(A) economy of the member nations have inflation rates of less than three percent and resist
- Subject should be economies
x(B) economy of each member nation have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to

- Subject economy should have matching verb (has)
x(C) every economy of the member nations have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to

- Subject economy should have matching verb (has). Its also awkrad

- Correct
x(E) economies of every member nation have three percent or less of an inflation rate and resist

- Sentence part “have three percent or less of an inflation rate and resist

“ is awkward.

D is the correct answer

Press +1 Kudos rather than saying thanks
which is more helpful infact..

Ill be posting good questions as many as I can...

Towards Success

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 05:14
Got it down to A and B. Picked the wrong one :) .

Good question

Crick
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The treaty specifies [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 21:38

I feel B is incorrect since the second part is passive .. also A,IMO

immaculatesahai wrote:
sacmanitin wrote:

Command subjunctive. B wins. Correct Parallelism.
Re: SC: The treaty specifies   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2012, 21:38