Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 18:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

69% (02:51) correct 31% (01:57) wrong based on 12 sessions
22. The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have decided to offer scholarships to the top 10 percent of local applicants and the top 10 percent of nonlocal applicants as judged on the basis of a qualifying audition. They are doing this to ensure that only the applicants with the most highly evaluated auditions are offered scholarships to the program.

Which one of the following points out why the trustees' plan might not be effective in achieving its goal?
(A) The best actors can also apply for admission to another program and then not enroll in the Avonbridge program
(B) Audition materials that produce good results for one actor may disadvantage another, resulting in inaccurate assessment
(C) The top 10 percent of local and nonlocal applicants might not need scholarships to the Avonbridge program
(D) Some of the applicants who are offered scholarships could have less highly evaluated auditions than some of the applicants who are not offered scholarships
(E) Dividing applicants into local and nonlocal groups is unfair because it favors nonlocal applicants
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 18:30
1) The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have decided to offer scholarships

2) scholarships are offered to top 10 percent of local applicants and the top 10 percent of nonlocal applicants

3) applicants are judged on the basis of a qualifying audition.

4) Trustees are doing this to ensure that only the applicants with the most highly evaluated auditions are offered scholarships to the program. <-- conclusion

Which one of the following points out why the trustees' plan might not be effective in achieving its goal?

(A) The best actors can also apply for admission to another program and then not enroll in the Avonbridge program
- Not important.

(B) Audition materials that produce good results for one actor may disadvantage another, resulting in inaccurate assessment
- Not important.

(C) The top 10 percent of local and nonlocal applicants might not need scholarships to the Avonbridge program
- Not important.

(D) Some of the applicants who are offered scholarships could have less highly evaluated auditions than some of the applicants who are not offered scholarships
- If this is the case, then their aim of getting only the applicants with the most highly evaluated auditions to the program might not succeed

(E) Dividing applicants into local and nonlocal groups is unfair because it favors nonlocal applicants
- Stil does not attack the conclusion

I'll take D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 05:17
I believe it is (B).

(B) brings in a condition where the applicants are evaluated unfairly.
This shows that the adcom may not be able to admit those who are top actors.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 08:15
shud be "D"....seems like adcoms r only interested in getting ppl based solely on how they perform in audition, that's the only objective and it is not abt getting the most talented. I believe "D" puts a question mark on their audition process itself.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 08:29
I will go with 'B'
'D' - This could be the case only if we assume that not all applicants take the qualifying audition.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 08:36
anandnk wrote:
I believe it is (B).

(B) brings in a condition where the applicants are evaluated unfairly.
This shows that the adcom may not be able to admit those who are top actors.

It cannot be B, since it's not known whether there's a standard material for which all auditoners need to audition or whether each individual has a liberty to do audition based on his/her material.

D is correct bcos it attacks the basic conclusion that the scholarships will be awarded for the highest evaluations.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 12:23
OA is D. Good job.

Even I chose B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 18:42
harshi wrote:
OA is D. Good job.

Even I chose B.

I find that if you locate the conclusion for the argument, you have a very good success of solving such questions.

In fact for most CR questions (the exception perhaps being logic CR questions, which would involve you locating the right logic), I would recommend you locate the conclusion so you can attack the answer choices quickly. :-D
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 08:51
ywilfred wrote:
harshi wrote:
OA is D. Good job.

Even I chose B.

I find that if you locate the conclusion for the argument, you have a very good success of solving such questions.

In fact for most CR questions (the exception perhaps being logic CR questions, which would involve you locating the right logic), I would recommend you locate the conclusion so you can attack the answer choices quickly. :-D

Good advise. I should force myself into finding the conclusion first. When I do ten or fifteen questions together, i like to just read and pick an answer mechanically. need to start analysing the stem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 291

Re: The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 22:47
One thing I don't understand how can someone who is less highly evaluated be above someone who is more highly evaluated. There certainly seems to be a discrepancy.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 340 Q27 V12
GPA: 3.33

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 10:49
harshi wrote:
22. The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have decided to offer scholarships to the top 10 percent of local applicants and the top 10 percent of nonlocal applicants as judged on the basis of a qualifying audition. They are doing this to ensure that only the applicants with the most highly evaluated auditions are offered scholarships to the program.

Whats the right answer to this question???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 46

Re: The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 04:21
IMO ANSWER SHOULD BE "D"......
WE ARE SELECTING 10% BEST APPLICANTS FROM DIFFERENT GROUPS AND THEN ASSUMING WE HAVE SELECTED THE BEST OUT OF THE AMALGAMATED JOINT GROUP.....WHICH IS WRONG....POINTS TO FLAW........

THE 10% IN EACH GROUP MAY BE THE BEST IN THEIR RESPECTIVE GROUPS BUT SOME MAY NOT BE THE BEST AMONGST THE WHOLE LOT...
ASSUME ONE GROUP WITH ALL TALENT AND ANOTHER WITH ALL DUDS..........EVEN THE BEST OF THE DUD LOT CANNOT BEAT THE 11TH OF THE OTHER LOT.......HENCE "D" WHICH SAYS----- Some of the applicants who are offered scholarships could have less highly evaluated auditions than some of the applicants who are not offered scholarships .....BRINGS OUT THE FLAW.....
HENCE CORRECT ANSWER....
Re: The trustees of the Avonbridge summer drama workshop have   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2014, 04:21