Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 29

The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 22:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (02:25) correct 28% (01:29) wrong based on 165 sessions
The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce naturally, and is only bred and sold by specialized horticultural companies. Unfortunately, the tulu is easily devastated by a contagious fungal rot. The government ministry plans to reassure worried gardeners by requiring all tulu plants to be tested for fungal rot before being sold. However, infected plants less than 30 weeks old have generally not built up enough fungal rot in their systems to be detected reliably. And many tulu plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old.

Which of the following, if performed by the ministry, could logically be expected to overcome the problem with their plan to test for the fungal rot?

(A)

Releasing a general announcement that tulu plants less than 30 weeks old cannot be effectively tested for fungal rot

(B)

Requiring all tulu plants less than 30 weeks old to be labeled as such

(C)

Researching possible ways to test tulu plants less than 24 weeks old for fungal rot

(D)

Ensuring that tulu plants not be sold before they are 30 weeks old

(E)

Quarantining all tulu plants from horticultural companies at which any case of fungal rot has been detected until those tulu plants can be tested for fungal rot

----------------
Hi,
Can you explain why (E) would not be the answer choice here? Fine it does seem a bit extreme a measure to take, but it could logically work?
Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 23:41
elegan wrote:
The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce naturally, and is only bred and sold by specialized horticultural companies. Unfortunately, the tulu is easily devastated by a contagious fungal rot. The government ministry plans to reassure worried gardeners by requiring all tulu plants to be tested for fungal rot before being sold. However, infected plants less than 30 weeks old have generally not built up enough fungal rot in their systems to be detected reliably. And many tulu plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old.

Which of the following, if performed by the ministry, could logically be expected to overcome the problem with their plan to test for the fungal rot?

(A)

Releasing a general announcement that tulu plants less than 30 weeks old cannot be effectively tested for fungal rot

(B)

(C)

Researching possible ways to test tulu plants less than 24 weeks old for fungal rot

(D)

(E)

Quarantining all tulu plants from horticultural companies at which any case of fungal rot has been detected until those tulu plants can be tested for fungal rot

----------------
Hi,
Can you explain why (E) would not be the answer choice here? Fine it does seem a bit extreme a measure to take, but it could logically work?
Thanks.

Actually, apart from being extereme E is the only choice which would be most illogical. If you read it carefully- eventually action given in E would not let a company sell tulu plants 'at all' if any single case of fungal rot has been detected there.

A and B both actions are fine - provided they are done together. C is fine again - but not practical and one can not be sure when reasearch would yield a result.

D is the only option that would logically help as company can not sell before 30 weeks and after 30 weeks these can be tested accurately.

Hope it helps. :)

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 188

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 4

Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
elegan wrote:

(A)

(B)

(C)

(D)

(E)

----------------
Hi,
Thanks.

On any "Resolve the Discrepancy" problem, such as this one, we need to be sure to stay as close to the exact wording as possible. So, what's the discrepancy we need to resolve? We need "to overcome the problem with their plan," so in particular we need to carefully understand both the plan and the problem with it. The plan, we're told, is "to reassure worried gardeners by requiring all tulu plants to be tested for fungal rot before being sold". But the problem is that many of these plants are currently sold (at 24 weeks) before they can be reliably tested (at 30 weeks).

To resolve this issue, we need an idea that will result in all plants being effectively tested *before* they are sold.

(A) Plants are still not tested, problem stands.
(B) Same problem as (A).
(C) That would be nice, but it relies on the assumption that such research would actually yield a solution. Don't bring in any assumptions to these problems.
(D) Does the trick exactly.
(E) This will partially fix the problem. But only at companies where fungal rot has already been detected. What about the companies that don't already have detected cases of fungal rot? They could definitely still have plants that do have it and have just slipped past detection. Never select an answer that only partially resolves the paradox. This is a pretty common wrong answer type on these!

Hope that clarifies!
Mark

Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 22:56
Hi Karishma/Manhattan experts/,

I feel this question is not a true GMAT style question. Firstly, the right answer as stated by OA(D) is too straight. On GMAT this is usually a trap, GMAT wants us to usually fall for a good looking straight answer, which is not correct.

Secondly, Whatever is given in the question stem in this question is a FACT!! You can't go against it.
Stem states "And many tulu plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old."
Once the question stems says that you can't do anything about it.

The right answer will never go against the question stem. Option D lacks here: "Ensuring that tulu plants not be sold before they are 30 weeks old" Notice how option D asks you to do something that can't be done to ALL the plants because stems clear points many (it can be 1 or it can be all, we don't care! as it long some plants are included) plants plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old.

The reason I am putting it out there is these questions take us away from GMAT way of thinking and it is not a good thing!!
If you have strived hard to understand how GMAT frames questions, you would know what I am talking about here.

EXPERTS please tell us am I right with above break down of the question? This will help me and all others.

Appreciate your help.

-K
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 11:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2014, 21:11
Hey all,

Can someone please add a very necessary clarification to this question?

Answer choice C - assumes that the research works.
Answer choice D - assumes that people will change behavior and start buying tulus after aged 30 (because, everyone wants to buy older plants.....)

I am struggling to see if my logic in this problem is fundamentally flawed, or if it's just not a good problem. Would be great if an expert (or three) could clarify. Thanks!
Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2014, 21:11