Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Ame -Old Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Ame -Old Thread [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2004, 12:24
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(B) All Americans may reasonably be classified as either poor or rich.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR help [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2006, 09:27
Avis wrote:
However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate.

I think this is the part to which we should pay attention. Together with what is told after this sentence, we feel as if the primary reason of the census is to get information about the economical situation of people.

So

^ E ^
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2006, 11:39
The purpose of the census isnt talking about economic status though, just the number of people.

"However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate." Statistical portrait doesnt imply economic portrait.

So E cant be an assumption. I think it is B also.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 09:46
Go for:

(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 10:30
I like C also. It says thousands of Americans go uncounted each year but the census is generally accurate. For it to be accurate the same percentage of uncounted poor and rich Americans must be assumed.

"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities." - Bruce Lee

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR help [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 15:13
C for me too.

Avis wrote:
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.
(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted. if this is not true the red part above can not be true.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 01:02
what is OA?

I am torn between C& D . both sounds thje same. can someone tell me whats the difference?

But i will still choose C... gut feeling
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 02:10
I think C....
SVP
SVP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR help [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 05:11
Avis wrote:

Yes, agree that it's C.
The point is: the census certainly doesn't count the homeless coz their IDs/ social security numbers are never available to be counted ( AS we know the census is done based on some data in some document) . However, the rich can always be counted cause their (high-profiled) IDs are always there to be counted.

When i looked up the exact meaning of a "census" , the term involves "population" . " Population" means "The total number of inhabitants constituting a particular race, class, or group in a specified area. " ----> That means the census must reasonably exclude those rich people staying abroad.

Thus, C is correct because it provides the fact that the percentage of the poor uncounted is equal to the percentage of the rich uncounted.

D can't be correct coz what we concern is the number of the rich uncounted and the poor uncounted not the total number of the rich and the poor in the nation.

I go for C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 05:16
For those who wanna know the OA, refer to this link:
http://www.scoretop.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2612
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 05:47
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 09:37
Yes it should be C.

Its b/w C and D. But d is out because it talks about the total number of rich and poor people.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 20:42
Guys, I too got C.
But, I am struggling to get convinced that B need not be assumed.
For the given conclusion, C is the assumption and B seems to be more basic assumption than C.
Ideaz pleaseeee.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2006, 11:55
It is C.
B cannot be correct. B makes an assumption that americans can either be classified as poor or rich. If you read the passage carefully, there is no line in the passage that will point to this assumption. yes, the passage talks about poor v/s rich, but nowhere it says there can't be a middle class?.

You can have a census with 50 poor, 30 middle class and 10 rich. Then you can say some poor are unaccounted for etc., without mentioning middle class. The passage exactly does that but not explicitly.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2006, 19:21
For me B is the assumption. If we are not able to reasonably classify the people as rich or poor then we are not sure how to treat the uncounted people. Going for C means we are assuming that statistical portrait means ratio of rich to poor...though I am still confused between B and C.
Can anyone post the OA and OE please.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2006, 22:01
B.
Negate B and the conclusion will fall.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 07:59

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 08:10
I choose C
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 08:41
(A) We don't know that... the reasons are OUT OF SCOPE

(B) This is what we consider EXTREME "ALL" is wrong here, because arg. says "some poor" and "some rich"

(C) We are talking about "number", percentage isn't considered here.

This seems like a winner to me..., but I am not 100% correct on CRs... :lol:

(E) We don't know the purpose... it's not stated anywhere... OUT OF SCOPE
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 08:57
I think D is out because
it does not specify that "The number of homeless Americans" uncounted
so just number of homeless and rich guy is too general and out of scope
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 09:41
>> The answer is C
The Reasoning - Even after few rich and poor are not counted in the census, it is mentioned that the overall statistical representation is correct. That means the number of poor not part of census is almost the same as the number of rich not part of the census.

Its a tough one.

Impossible is nothing! Just Do It!!

[#permalink] 29 Jul 2006, 09:41