Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 2

The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(B) All Americans may reasonably be classified as either poor or rich.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 10:23
This is a very interesting question for me....Initially,I was confused whether to choose C or B but later chose B.....and found that most got C and few got B.
I think the answer is B.
Using the negation test,one can see that the option B affects the conclusion more than the option C does.
C does make the conclusion false when it is negated,however the conclusion doesn't even hold if the option B is negated.

OA ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 00:57
papillon86 wrote:
19. The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.
(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.

I'll go with C...

A- reasons to avoid being counted is irrelevant.
B- this is not true. the argument considers rich and poor people of US. this does not mean that all people can be classified into one of the two categories.
C- here comes the winner. this accurately states the assumption of the argument. since the percentage of both the category of people are equal, statistical portrait of census is true.
D- this is not true. number of homeless Americans uncounted can be equal to the number of rich Americans uncounted. but,the number of the poor homeless Americans is not necessarily equal to the number of rich Americans.
E- primary purpose of census is irrelevant.

Deserve before you Desire

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 16:03
I'm going with B. The argument depends on the assumption that Americans are classified as rich or poor. What's the OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 09:19
papillon86 wrote:
19. The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.

The passage emphasizes that ,"the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate" ,indicating that the poor or rich omitted doesn’t necessarily affect accuracy of the census by a large degree. I think the assumption here is the ability to define people into rich or poor classes .Otherwise the accuracy of the census becomes suspect.

My choice B.OA please.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 17:20
papillon86 wrote:

I believe it is C. The "statistical portrait" will be more accurate if it compares "percentages uncounted by the census" rather than than "numbers".
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 01:44
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 19:07
C for me.
The reason: stimulus conclusion is "the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate". The only way for this statement to be true is if percentage of poor Americans who is unaccounted by the census is equal to percentage of rich Americans who is unaccounted. Therefore, C.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 23:59
alexBLR wrote:
C for me.
The reason: stimulus conclusion is "the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate". The only way for this statement to be true is if percentage of poor Americans who is unaccounted by the census is equal to percentage of rich Americans who is unaccounted. Therefore, C.

what about E,If we deny "E" is not the the conclusion destroyed?

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 17:39
mundasingh123 wrote:
alexBLR wrote:
C for me.
The reason: stimulus conclusion is "the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate". The only way for this statement to be true is if percentage of poor Americans who is unaccounted by the census is equal to percentage of rich Americans who is naccounted. Therefore, C.

what about E,If we deny "E" is not the the conclusion destroyed?

First, look at the stimulus conclusion-the main idea of the stimulus is concerned with accurcy of the census. The purpose of the census (stated in E)has no direct relation to the accuracy of the census. If still unclear, please refer to the PowerScore CR Bible.
13 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 746 [13] , given: 11

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Looks like there's enough struggling with this one that it would pay for me to weigh in. Let's give it the red carpet treatment.

Conclusion: Basic stat portrait of census is accurate
Premise: Some poor uncounted, but also some rich
Assumption: The uncounted rich and poor are roughly equal. Rich and poor are emblematic of the portrait of other groups.

Notice I was able to come up with a couple of assumptions here. This is a pretty bad argument, so there might even be more. It's always helpful to think ahead as much as possible. I wrote both of these before looking at the answer choices, so I have an idea of what I'm looking for.

PROBLEM: We don't care why people avoid the census, only how many of them do.

PROBLEM: This relates to my second assumption, but the language goes too far. We don't need all Americans to be classifiable as poor or rich, because even if there were Americans who could not be classified as poor or rich, the argument would not fall apart. It would become a little muddy (what about those middle class folks?), but we wouldn't have definitive proof that the census was bad.

ANSWER: This relates to my first assumption, and is tough to figure out, so it helps to actually take apart the math a bit. Let's imagine that there are 100 people in the country, but we only end up counting 80. If 50 poor, 50 rich is reality and 50 poor and 30 rich are actually counted, we'd have missed 66% of the rich and 0% of the poor, and now our count doesn't provide an accurate portrait of the break down in America (which should have been 50/50, but is no 5/8ths versus 3/8ths). On the flip side, if we miss 10 poor and 10 rich (The same percentage of 50), our breakdown of the country's statistics is still accurate (40 and 40 out of 80, versus 50 and 50 out of 100), even though the hard numbers are wrong.

PROBLEM: How many actual people there are in each category is immaterial here. We only care about percentage breakdowns.

PROBLEM: The purpose of the census is immaterial, only its statistical results.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 36

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:47
B sounds good but cannot explain -
"However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate."

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 746 [1] , given: 11

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Nusmavrik,

This is a dangerous piece of advice, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. Whenever you read an answer choice that just sounds logically ridiculous, be wary of it. (As in, don't totally leave your common sense at the door.) Would you need to base an argument on the fact that every single human being was either rich or poor? It seems unlikely, unless the argument was incredibly ridiculous. : )

-tommy

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 13:50
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Looks like there's enough struggling with this one that it would pay for me to weigh in. Let's give it the red carpet treatment.

Conclusion: Basic stat portrait of census is accurate
Premise: Some poor uncounted, but also some rich
Assumption: The uncounted rich and poor are roughly equal. Rich and poor are emblematic of the portrait of other groups.

Notice I was able to come up with a couple of assumptions here. This is a pretty bad argument, so there might even be more. It's always helpful to think ahead as much as possible. I wrote both of these before looking at the answer choices, so I have an idea of what I'm looking for.

PROBLEM: We don't care why people avoid the census, only how many of them do.

PROBLEM: This relates to my second assumption, but the language goes too far. We don't need all Americans to be classifiable as poor or rich, because even if there were Americans who could not be classified as poor or rich, the argument would not fall apart. It would become a little muddy (what about those middle class folks?), but we wouldn't have definitive proof that the census was bad.

ANSWER: This relates to my first assumption, and is tough to figure out, so it helps to actually take apart the math a bit. Let's imagine that there are 100 people in the country, but we only end up counting 80. If 50 poor, 50 rich is reality and 50 poor and 30 rich are actually counted, we'd have missed 66% of the rich and 0% of the poor, and now our count doesn't provide an accurate portrait of the break down in America (which should have been 50/50, but is no 5/8ths versus 3/8ths). On the flip side, if we miss 10 poor and 10 rich (The same percentage of 50), our breakdown of the country's statistics is still accurate (40 and 40 out of 80, versus 50 and 50 out of 100), even though the hard numbers are wrong.

PROBLEM: How many actual people there are in each category is immaterial here. We only care about percentage breakdowns.

PROBLEM: The purpose of the census is immaterial, only its statistical results.

Hope that helps!

-t

If D were: (D) The number of homeless Americans UNCOUNTED is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans UNCOUNTED;

It would actually be the same as C, doesnt it? and therefore correct
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 421 [1] , given: 36

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 22:43
This post received
KUDOS
Lets say 100 people in America. 40 Rich and 60 Poor. Ratio is 2:3 -----> This is the statistical figure.
Now lets say 10% are uncounted in both the groups.

Rich = 0.9 * 40 = 36
Poor = 0.9 * 60 = 54

Ratio = 36/54 = 4/6 = 2/3 ------------> Statistical data is TRUE regardless of census.
C is the answer. You can try with another ratio and come with the same conclusion :-)

B : classifies the people as rich or poor but does not explains why statistical data will be true.

D : You can prove this mathematically or assumption. Lets say 50 Rich and 50 Poor. Ratio 1:1
If the census discounts different number in the two group then

Rich = 46
Poor = 40
Ratio = 46 : 40 which is not the same as 1:1
So D does not explains why the statistical data is the same. In fact D weakens the argument.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 11

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 10:13
Noboru,

Indeed, nusma nailed it. This is a classic GMAT trope on CR. Any time a question gives you premises or a conclusion based on percentages, be very wary of any answer choices that revolve around actual numbers. Likewise, in a question that gives premises or conclusions based on actual numbers, be wary of answer choices that revolve around percentages. I'm not saying this is 100% always true, only 95% true. : )

-t

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 11

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 11:49
C for me.
here the conclusion is the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate.
So we should for answer that is give us a relative figure not the actual number.
Only C has in terms of percentage.

So C is correct
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 04:19
'Let's imagine that there are 100 people in the country, but we only end up counting 80. If 50 poor, 50 rich is reality and 50 poor and 30 rich are actually counted, we'd have missed 66% of the rich and 0% of the poor, and now our count doesn't provide an accurate portrait of the break down in America (which should have been 50/50, but is no 5/8ths versus 3/8ths). On the flip side, if we miss 10 poor and 10 rich (The same percentage of 50), our breakdown of the country's statistics is still accurate (40 and 40 out of 80, versus 50 and 50 out of 100), even though the hard numbers are wrong'

the answer is C , though it is very difficult to do this kind of mathematical modeling in actual test conditions .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Assumtion:US census:Source 1000 CR [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 06:55
Conclusion is that the statistical portrait is accurate.
Options C and D are the one closest. The argument talks about uncounted poor and rich.
C seems closer to it.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 05:53
the statistics is accurate.Means there is a balancing average act taking place.
C fits the bill.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 06:02
papillon86 wrote:

negate C . it will weaken the argument....However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate....
Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!!   [#permalink] 15 May 2011, 06:02