Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 08:43
neeshpal wrote:
The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put out every fire in its domain, and within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

A. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

B. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

C. within three decades the agency had formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

D. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past. BINGO

E. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D

explanations please..

Nice question

More quickly is more appropriate than quicker

since there are two events that occured in past, (fires took place and than the policy was introduced), choice D satisfies both the criteria, hence the best answere,

:-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 09:46
Past tense is to be used for the underlined portion as well. So down to D and E, quicker (adj and adv) and quickly(adv) both can be used as adverb. not too much sure but since quickly is more appropriate as it only acts as adv and hence is more correct
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 10:46
My choice is "D" because of the use of simple present tense to make the sentence parallel.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1554 [1] , given: 248

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 20:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MGMAT in this case is being outquoted IMO. MGMAT says ‘in the last ten days” meaning that the action started some ten days ago in the past and is still continuing. That is the significance of the word last. You certainly require a present perfect to tense it. However, the topic under question does not say that the FD formulated in the last three decades. And also note that the Department called it the 10. A.M policy in simple past tense. Therefore, the drafting is still not continuing and ended within three decades well before now; therefore, this is an action that started and ended in the past just as it was named in the past using simple past. You require a corresponding simple past to describe the formulation also, and hence D using formulated is the appropriate choice.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 01:06
Just for the sake of getting the concepts clear, what is the subject of the verb 'directing' in this case ? the 'agency' or the 'policy'? Please let me know.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1554 [0], given: 248

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 02:47
Expert's post
Directing is not a verb in this case. So there is no subject for that. It is a present participle. You see, a policy is just statement while it is the men behind the policy who are the directors. So Agency fits in better

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 02:55
Understood your explanation. Thanks :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 21:05
I got another doubt. Technically, isn't the present participle 'directing' wrongly modifying the '10 A.M. policy' rather than the 'agency' since the noun '10 A.M. policy' immediately precedes the participle? Or is it not necessary that the participle will always modify the noun immediately preceding it? Please clarify. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 18

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 06:38
neeshpal wrote:
The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put out every fire in its domain, and within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

A. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

B. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

C. within three decades the agency had formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

D. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

E. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

D

explanations please..

crap....its took me 2.10 min to choose the option D. thats not good. quicker is adjective and it modifies noun fire. but the intended meaning of the sentence needs "quicker" to modify the verb "extinguish" so A, b and C are out. In E "has formulated" means the ongoing process of formulation which is not the intended meaning of the sentence. hence E is out. please correct me if i am wrong

regards

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 62

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 14:13
zisis wrote:
neeshpal wrote:

D. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

D

explanations please..

quick modifies verb (extinguished) thus we need adverbial modifier -> "quickly" ELIMINATE ABC
between D and E chose D because has formulated means it is still formulating but then uses verb CALLED in the past so formulation action should be finished....

D my choice !

Came down to D and E. Had trouble figure it out between the two but came away with D. However, you explained what I needed to know. Gave you kudos. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 22:32
Thanks Ritula for detailed explanation ... really helps to understand tense issue..

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 08:33
Can someone explain why B is wrong ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Fisher '16 (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 05:18

1) The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, - for ex Lets take 1950 ( implies US Forest service was founded in 1945 )

In 1950 they decided something

2) Within three decades, Before 1980 - the agency formulated / has formulated

The have forms is used only when the timeline is unclear. Here it has been specified within three decades. So it has to be verb + ed form.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 05:22
Is "Quicker" a valid english word??

I think "Quicker" is slang lingo.

Agree with D since we don't need a perfect tense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 08:06

A. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past. Incorrect. "more quickly" is correct. It is parallel - Formulated Vs Decided.

B. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past. Incorrect. "more quickly" is correct. It is not parallel - has Formulated Vs Decided.

C. within three decades the agency had formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past. Incorrect. "more quickly" is correct. It is not parallel - had Formulated Vs Decided.

D. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past. Correct. "more quickly" is correct. It is parallel - Formulated Vs Decided. Past perfect tense has two actions - one implemented and formulated while "be extinguished....had been in the past"

E. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past. Incorrect. "more quickly" is correct. It is not parallel - has Formulated Vs Decided.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 08:12
one more point to keep in mind.. understand that "within three decades the agency" is a prepositional phrase. If we eliminate it then also the sentence can survive.
so we need to really watch what part of sentence is playing what role. So to maintain parallelism i think it would be ok to have a prepositional phrase after "and". We just need to check the two verbs and see if they are parallel or not.

Cheers
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 10:23
Expert's post
soumens wrote:
Is "Quicker" a valid english word??

I think "Quicker" is slang lingo.

Agree with D since we don't need a perfect tense.

Hi Soumens,

In written English "more quickly" is preferred; whereas, "quicker" is a word that is used frequently in verbal communications.

In GMAT most probably the choice with "quicker" would be incorrect.

Bottom-line: If there are two answer choices which are same grammatically and contextually, and the difference is between "more quickly" and "quicker" then the choice with "more quickly" would be the better one.

Hope that helps

Vercules,

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests
Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 11:11
Any expert pl explain the difference between more quicker and quickly here
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 08:05
tusharGupta1 wrote:
Any expert pl explain the difference between more quicker and quickly here

Not an expert, but I think here you need an adverb to modify a verb -> quickly. Hope that helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 04:05
neeshpal wrote:

D

explanations please..

very good question from good source, Princeton

"has" can not be used here because the time frame is in past. E and B is out

had done in C has no past action before which "had done " finished. in other words, it is not logic to us had done in C. "had formulated" can not finished before "called" or " decided"

"quicker than" is not idiomatic.

pls give me kudos if you like my posting so that I have more spirit doing so

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put   [#permalink] 31 May 2014, 04:05