Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [2] , given: 2

The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:09) correct 53% (01:19) wrong based on 916 sessions
The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put out every fire in its domain, and within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

A. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

B. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

C. within three decades the agency had formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

D. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

E. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D

explanations please..
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 13:24
Between D and E, I chose D.
1. We need adverbial phrase "more quickly"
2.In D, "formulated" and "they had been in the past" show the sequence of past events.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
botirvoy wrote:
Between D and E, I chose D.
1. We need adverbial phrase "more quickly"
2.In D, "formulated" and "they had been in the past" show the sequence of past events.

I agree with D and took a different route.

If you look at all choices, had been is common. So the past perfect progressive tense is common in all choices. So we clearly need a simple past.

Hence A & D remain and all else out.

Between A & D, I chose D.

Botirvoy,

Can you please explain the need for adverbial phrase?
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 17

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 23:10
D , because Adverbial Phrase "more quickly than" is preferred over "Quicker"(I posted one similar Q yesterday)

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 07:27
can someone please explain why adverbial phrase "more quickly" is preferred over "quicker"
5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [5] , given: 5

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
neeshpal wrote:
can someone please explain why adverbial phrase "more quickly" is preferred over "quicker"

I chose D too..

quickly (Adverb) clearly modifies " extinguished" (Verb)
quicker (Adj) .. can't modifiy "extinguished" (Verb)

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [3] , given: 7

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
If you want to modify the verb "extinguished", you ll need an adverb/adverbial. Hence we need "quickly" - "quicker" is an adjective.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 20:48
Before reading the sentence, I looked for an initial split. I then read the sentence and chose formulated. I eliminated all but A and D and then chose D because of 'more quickly.'

Posted from my mobile device Image

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 11:30
My ans: D

A/B/C incorrectly uses quicker. The comparison between the adverb quicker is used to compare the how quickly fires were extinguished "now" compared to the past. To correct this you need to add more quickly to form the correct comparison

D: correct use or past perfect "Had". You only use perfect tenses to clarify a sequence of events. The sequence of events is "3 decades ago" and 5 years ago. 3 decades ago is twice removed from the past and uses the "had" past perfect" and you need the simple past "formulated" to describe the 5 years ago.

E: just incorrectly uses the perfect tenses has and had

-vuongw

Wharton '13
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Wharton, Insead

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 20:08
[quote][/quote]

As mentioned in Chapter 7 MGMAT, 'with in last 10 days', 'for the last ten days'... demand present/past perfect tense. Going as per this logic, it should be 'E'

What is the source for this problem.??
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 20:55
neeshpal wrote:
The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put out every fire in its domain, and within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

A. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

B. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

C. within three decades the agency had formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished quicker than they had been in the past.

D. within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

E. within three decades the agency has formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

D

explanations please..

eliminated A,B,C - quicker.
Between D and E eliminated E for using had been..
imo D
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [4] , given: 16

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
neeshpal wrote:

D

explanations please..

quick modifies verb (extinguished) thus we need adverbial modifier -> "quickly" ELIMINATE ABC
between D and E chose D because has formulated means it is still formulating but then uses verb CALLED in the past so formulation action should be finished....

D my choice !
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 15:51
D. The action in underlined part did not occur earlier than that in non-underlined part. So, simple past is required. 'more quickly' is correct usage.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Paris, , Tepper
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 8

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 18:14
Wonder if anyone could clarify this:

-The prepositional phrase "within..." requires a simple tense? I.e. "within 3 years, it has been" is always wrong?

Thanks!

If you like my post, a kudos is not expected but appreciated

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 23:59
has formulated / formulated. Which one is better? Both seem alright

since the action started sometime in the past - "has formulated" is alright
since we can put both actions in the past - "decided" and "formulated" (happened after 3 decades) "formulated" is alright.

I can't choose one from the other :-(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 17:54
still not convinced about choosing between D & E.. i chose E..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 14

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
punzoo wrote:
Quote:

As mentioned in Chapter 7 MGMAT, 'with in last 10 days', 'for the last ten days'... demand present/past perfect tense. Going as per this logic, it should be 'E'

I have the same MGMAT trouble.. with in last 10 days', 'for the last ten days'... demand present/past perfect tense.
Also, -

[/quote] D. The action in underlined part did not occur earlier than that in non-underlined part. So, simple past is required. 'more quickly' is correct usage.[/quote]

Simple past would have been correct if we would have used a perfect tense in non underlined part. However, a time cue is there in the non underlined part and thus we didn't use perfect tense.
So we can use perfect tense here as the effect of formulation still exists... as per Manhattan, within calls for using perfect tense.. :shock:

Can anybody untangle me..?! :stab

I mean am for E over D.

---Winners do it differently---

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 376

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 02:25
RohitKalla wrote:
punzoo wrote:
Quote:

I have the same MGMAT trouble.. with in last 10 days', 'for the last ten days'... demand present/past perfect tense.
Also, -

D. The action in underlined part did not occur earlier than that in non-underlined part. So, simple past is required. 'more quickly' is correct usage.[/quote]

Simple past would have been correct if we would have used a perfect tense in non underlined part. However, a time cue is there in the non underlined part and thus we didn't use perfect tense.
So we can use perfect tense here as the effect of formulation still exists... as per Manhattan, within calls for using perfect tense.. :shock:

I mean am for E over D.[/quote]

I am in the "E" league. "Within" demands present perfect.
"D" is a fragment at its best.

The U.S. Forest Service, then five years old, decided to put out every fire in its domain, and within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.

The U.S. Forest Service decided to put out every fire in its domain (Standalone clause-good)
, AND(Coordinating conjunction-fine; I am expecting an entire clause, at least a subordinate clause after this)
within three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy, [strike]directing that fires be extinguished more quickly than they had been in the past.[/strike](Getting rid of participial clause)

Now, "three decades the agency formulated what it called the 10 A.M. policy"--- I am waiting- someone please tell me what did the Service do within 3 decades of the formulation.
I don't see "formulated" as a working verb, but rather as a modifier describing the action executed on the policy; "formulated" the policy. It's conveying that the policy was formulated in a split instance(an act completed 3 decades back), but fails to complete the sentence.

E- has a proper working verb. "has formulated". Now, I know that within 3 decades, the company "has formulated" the policy. The formulation was the continuous event that completed within the 3-decade period.

Ans: "E"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 08:05
RohitKalla wrote:
punzoo wrote:
Quote:

Also, -

D. The action in underlined part did not occur earlier than that in non-underlined part. So, simple past is required. 'more quickly' is correct usage.[/quote]

I mean am for E over D.[/quote]

I was fooled by the "has formulated" as well

As the poster above mentioned, the word "called" implies that the action of formulation occurred and finished in the past. Therefore, the present perfect tense doesn't work here.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 15

Re: SC - US Forest [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 05:08
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

[Obscure] Spoiler: OA
D

explanations please.

Answer: D

Parallelism - "decided to put out..." and "formulated what it called..."
Adverbs - "extinguished more quickly" vs "extinguished quicker"
You say 'fires are extinguished quickly' instead of 'fires are extinguished quick'. As such, when you are trying to imply an increased efficiency, you say 'fires are extinguished more quickly' instead of 'fires are extinguished quicker'. :)

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Re: SC - US Forest   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2011, 05:08