Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The underlined part of the sentence is in brackets. Although

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
The underlined part of the sentence is in brackets. Although [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 20:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:38) correct 20% (00:51) wrong based on 117 sessions
Although they are more temperamental and far more expensive than transistor-driven amplifiers, many audiophiles and audio professionals prefer the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers.

(A) many audiophiles and audio professionals prefer the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers
(B) many audiophiles and audio professionals think the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers make them preferable
(C) warmer, richer tones are produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers and they are thus preferred by many audiophiles and audio professionals
(D) vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers are preferred because they produce warmer, richer tones by many audiophiles and audio professionals
(E) vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers are preferred by many audiophiles and audio professionals because these amplifiers produce warmer, richer tones
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Shawshank on 06 Sep 2012, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 23

Re: Although they are more temperemental [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 21:15
IMO
given 'E' but as you said its wrong
even i need an explanation plzzz guys

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 38

Re: Although they are more temperemental [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 00:11
Although they are more temperamental and far more expensive than transistor-driven amplifiers, many audiophiles and audio professionals prefer the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers.

I answered A but the re-read the statement and thought it should be E. :(

My reasoning behind A was as follows -

Its active voice.
Correctly conveys the meaning - what most prefer
the sentence before comma is a complete clause and not a modifier hence the second statement need not start with Vacuum tube amplifier.

However we must have a noun to refer back for "They" in the first statement

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Re: Although they are more temperemental [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 05:56
E for me as well.

How can A be correct?.....A suggests that "many audiophiles and audio professionals" are more temperamental and expensive than "transistor-driven amplifiers".

Can any expert provide inputs on this question?

Last edited by Muki on 07 Sep 2012, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 282

Re: Although they are more temperemental [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
E for me too.I think this is misplaced modifier question.

Look at the sentence-Although they are more temperamental and far more expensive than transistor-driven amplifiers, many audiophiles and audio professionals prefer the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers.

The modifier should modify the amplifiers and not audio proffesionals. Hence E is correct

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Although they are more temperemental [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 07:34
I also thought it's E but when switching the position of main clause and dependent clause E didn't make sense to me while A did.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 23

Re: Although they are more temperemental [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 20:05
samcot wrote:
I also thought it's E but when switching the position of main clause and dependent clause E didn't make sense to me while A did.

Hi Samcot,

Can you give detail explanation for it?

Thriving for CHANGE

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Although they are more temperemental [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 06:16
Aristocrat wrote:
samcot wrote:

Hi Samcot,

Can you give detail explanation for it?

Choice A after flipping the position of main clause and dependent clause
Many audiophiles and audio professionals prefer the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers, although(though) they are more temperamental and far more expensive than transistor-driven amplifiers.

Choice E
vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers are preferred by many audiophiles and audio professionals because these amplifiers produce warmer, richer tones, although(though) they are more temperamental and far more expensive than transistor-driven amplifiers.

This is how i saw it.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The underlined part of the sentence is in brackets. Although [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 05:16
E is the only answer choice that make "Gmat" sense. The first clause directly modifies another type of amplifier not an audiophiles.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Re: The underlined part of the sentence is in brackets. Although [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 22:21
MartinGM wrote:
E is the only answer choice that make "Gmat" sense. The first clause directly modifies another type of amplifier not an audiophiles.

The OA given in the question is wrong ; the correct answer is definitely E.

I have cross checked it.

Thanks,
Ankit

You want something, go get it . Period !

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.9

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: The underlined part of the sentence is in brackets. Although [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 14:12
Although they are more temperamental and far more expensive than transistor-driven amplifiers, [many audiophiles and audio professionals prefer the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers.]

many audiophiles and audio professionals prefer the warmer can't be temperamental and far more expensive than transistor-driven amplifiers . So they can't refer to "many audiophiles and audio professionals" instead it must be refer to vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers to make it more clear .
So A, B, c are out
D : meaning changed from original sentence
So E : is the correct answer

(A) many audi
ophiles and audio professionals prefer the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers
(B) many audiophiles and audio professionals think the warmer, richer tones produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers make them preferable
(C) warmer, richer tones are produced by vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers and they are thus preferred by many audiophiles and audio professionals
(D) vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers are preferred because they produce warmer, richer tones by many audiophiles and audio professionals
(E) vacuum-tube-driven amplifiers are preferred by many audiophiles and audio professionals because these amplifiers produce warmer, richer tones
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The underlined part of the sentence is in brackets. Although [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 19:03
Experts Plz pour on this question.

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: The underlined part of the sentence is in brackets. Although   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2012, 19:03