Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The United States government has a long-standing policy of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [6] , given: 51

The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The United States government has a long-standing policy of using federal funds to keep small business viable. The Small Business Act of 1953 authorized the Small Business Administration (SBA) to enter into contracts with government agencies having procurement powers and to arrange for fulfillment of these contracts by awarding subcontracts to small businesses. In the mid 1960's, during the war on poverty years, Congress hoped to encourage minority entrepreneurs by directing such funding to minority businesses. At first this funding was directed toward minority entrepreneurs with very low incomes. A 1967 amendment to the Economic Opportunity Act directed the SBA to pay special attention to minority-owned businesses located in urban or rural areas characterized by high proportions of unemployed or low-income individuals. Since then, the answer given to the fundamental question of who the recipients should be-the most economically disadvantaged or those with the best prospects for business success-has changed, and the social goals of the programs have shifted, resulting in policy changes.

The first shift occured during the early 1970's. While the goal of assisting the economically disadvantaged entrepreneur remained, a new goal emerged: to remedy the effects of past discrimination. In fact, in 1970 the SBA explicitly stated that their main goal was to increase the number of minority-owned buinesses. At the time, minorities constituted seventeen percent of the nation's population, but only four percent of the nation's self-employed. This ownership gap was held to be the result of past discrimination. Increasing the number of minority-owned firms was seen as a way to remedy this problem. In that context, providing funding to minority entrepreneurs in middle- and high-income brackets seemed justified.

In the late 1970's, the goals of minority-business funding programs shifted again. At the minority business Development Agency, for example, the goal of increasing numbers of minority-owned firms was supplanted by the goal of creating and assisting more minority-owned substantive firms with future growth potential. Assisting manufacturers or wholesalers became far more important than assisting small service businesses. Minority-business funding programs were now justified as instruments for economic development, particularly for creating jobs in minority communities of high unemployment.
It can be inferred that the "ownership gap" (see underlined text) would be narrowed if which of the following were to occur?

A: Minority entrepreneurs received a percentage of government contracts equal to that received by nonminority entrepreneurs.
B: Middle- and high-income minority entrepreneurs gave more assistance to their low-income counterparts in the business community.
C: Minority entrepreneurs hired a percentage of minority emlpoyees equal to the percentage of minority residents in their own communities.
D: The percentage of self-employed minority persons rose to more than ten percent of all self-employed persons.
E: Seventeen percent of all persons employed in small businesses were self-employed.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Which of the following best describes the function of the second paragraph in the passage as a whole?

A: It narrows the scope of the topic introduced in the first paragraph.
B: It presents an example of the type of change discuseed in the first paragraph.
C: It cites the most striking instance of historical change in a particular government policy.
D: It explains the rationale for the creation of the government agency whose operations are discussed in the first paragraph.
E: It presents the results of policies adpoted by the federal government.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

According to the passage, in 1970 funding to minority entrepreneurs focused primarily on which of the following?

A: Alleviating chronic unemployment in urban areas
B: Narrowing the ownership gap
C: Assisting minority-owned businesses with growth potential
D: Awarding subcontracts to businesses that encouraged community development
E: Targeting the most economically disadvantaged minority-owned businesses
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Last edited by ksung84 on 22 Jul 2013, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1124 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
It can be inferred that the "ownership gap" (see underlined text) would be narrowed if which of the following were to occur?

"At the time, minorities constituted seventeen percent of the nation's population, but only four percent of the nation's self-employed. This ownership gap was held to be the result of past discrimination."
Minorities = 17% population.
Minorities = 4% self employed. <== this is the "gap"
"Increasing the number of minority-owned firms was seen as a way to remedy this problem". In "inference" questions the answer is already in the passage.
This is how the text says that the gap can be narrowed. Which answer can be seen as a rewording of this?

A: Minority entrepreneurs received a percentage of government contracts equal to that received by nonminority entrepreneurs.
B: Middle- and high-income minority entrepreneurs gave more assistance to their low-income counterparts in the business community.
C: Minority entrepreneurs hired a percentage of minority emlpoyees equal to the percentage of minority residents in their own communities.
D: The percentage of self-employed minority persons rose to more than ten percent of all self-employed persons.<==CORRECT
E: Seventeen percent of all persons employed in small businesses were self-employed.

Which of the following best describes the function of the second paragraph in the passage as a whole?

Since then, the answer given to the fundamental question of who the recipients should be-the most economically disadvantaged or those with the best prospects for business success-has changed, and the social goals of the programs have shifted, resulting in policy changes.

The first shift occured during the early 1970's.

The second paragraph is connected to the first one because it discusses something that the first one presented.

B: It presents an example of the type of change discuseed in the first paragraph.<==CORRECT
C: It cites the most striking instance of historical change in a particular government policy.
D: It explains the rationale for the creation of the government agency whose operations are discussed in the first paragraph.

According to the passage, in 1970 funding to minority entrepreneurs focused primarily on which of the following?

While the goal of assisting the economically disadvantaged entrepreneur remained, a new goal emerged: to remedy the effects of past discrimination. (...) This ownership gap was held to be the result of past discrimination.Increasing the number of minority-owned firms was seen as a way to remedy this problem.
Increasing the number of minority-owned firms ==> reduce the GAP (the new goal or priority/focus in 1970).

B: Narrowing the ownership gap<== CORRECT

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1124 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
lucasITA wrote:
but where i can read the inference about "ten percent of all self-employed persons" ?' i've understood the general meaning of option D but it contains a very specific statement that i can't understand, and this is why in 4 minutes i could not answer the question :| :(

The point of B is not the number 10%.

This is the definition of the gap:"At the time, minorities constituted seventeen percent of the nation's population, but only four percent of the nation's self-employed. "

The gap would be narrowed if the "percentage of self-employed minority persons rose" to an higher level, period.
I can be 10%,11% or 10.5%: it does not matter; the question says "would be narrowed if which of the following were to occur", so if the answer choice say "the percentage is higher (does not matter the numerical value itself) the answer is correct.

D: The percentage of self-employed minority persons rose to more than ten percent of all self-employed persons.<==CORRECT

Hope I've explained myself well.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 10

Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS
This was a tough one. Got all 3 wrong in 7 mins. I went with A, E, E.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Since I got this wrong, I have a query.

Para 2 concentrates on early 1970 and para 3 concentrates on late 1970's.

Para 2 talks about ownership GAP created by the past discrimination. However, para 3 talks about the focus shift of policy to assisting minority based business having growth potential not solely awarding minority business which was economically disadvantaged.

Please suggest

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 07:16
Zarrolou wrote:

"At the time, minorities constituted seventeen percent of the nation's population, but only four percent of the nation's self-employed. This ownership gap was held to be the result of past discrimination."
Minorities = 17% population.
Minorities = 4% self employed. <== this is the "gap"
"Increasing the number of minority-owned firms was seen as a way to remedy this problem". In "inference" questions the answer is already in the passage.
This is how the text says that the gap can be narrowed. Which answer can be seen as a rewording of this?

Since then, the answer given to the fundamental question of who the recipients should be-the most economically disadvantaged or those with the best prospects for business success-has changed, and the social goals of the programs have shifted, resulting in policy changes.

The first shift occured during the early 1970's.

The second paragraph is connected to the first one because it discusses something that the first one presented.

B: It presents an example of the type of change discuseed in the first paragraph.<==CORRECT

While the goal of assisting the economically disadvantaged entrepreneur remained, a new goal emerged: to remedy the effects of past discrimination. (...) This ownership gap was held to be the result of past discrimination.Increasing the number of minority-owned firms was seen as a way to remedy this problem.
Increasing the number of minority-owned firms ==> reduce the GAP (the new goal or priority/focus in 1970).

B: Narrowing the ownership gap<== CORRECT

but where i can read the inference about "ten percent of all self-employed persons" ?' i've understood the general meaning of option D but it contains a very specific statement that i can't understand, and this is why in 4 minutes i could not answer the question :| :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 132

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 22:27
For the last question I was confused between B and D as it mentions primary goal in 1970s

early 1970s - ownership gap
late 1970s - assisting minority-owned firms with future growth potential

At the start of the 2nd para it says
The first shift occured during the early 1970's. While the goal of assisting the economically disadvantaged entrepreneur remained, (Indicates answer is D)

But then again I think I missed this sentence
for example, the goal of increasing numbers of minority-owned firms was supplanted by the goal of creating and assisting more minority-owned substantive firms with future growth potential (indicates answer is B)

Is that the point I missed?
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 131

Kudos [?]: 841 [0], given: 817

Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 10:21
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GRE 1: 1340 Q V
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 02:49
TGC wrote:
Since I got this wrong, I have a query.

Para 2 concentrates on early 1970 and para 3 concentrates on late 1970's.

Para 2 talks about ownership GAP created by the past discrimination. However, para 3 talks about the focus shift of policy to assisting minority based business having growth potential not solely awarding minority business which was economically disadvantaged.

Please suggest

Rgds,
TGC!

I have exactly the same questions! Could someone provide a better explanation for this particular answer choice? It seemed to me the answer could go either way. This is a tough one.

Researching schools

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1470

CAT Tests
Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 19:13
Zarrolou wrote:
lucasITA wrote:

The point of B is not the number 10%.

This is the definition of the gap:"At the time, minorities constituted seventeen percent of the nation's population, but only four percent of the nation's self-employed. "

The gap would be narrowed if the "percentage of self-employed minority persons rose" to an higher level, period.
I can be 10%,11% or 10.5%: it does not matter; the question says "would be narrowed if which of the following were to occur", so if the answer choice say "the percentage is higher (does not matter the numerical value itself) the answer is correct.

Hope I've explained myself well.

I eliminated B, because I assumed that the question was asking which of the following would "close" the "ownership gap"?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 359 [0], given: 316

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 19:53
Can someone help with this. ..

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 82

Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2014, 23:52
And the last question still remains unanswered . Can any verbal expert shed some light on ques 3 of this passage? I'm confused between option B and C for the reasons stated above.

C'est la vie

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 4

Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 09:44
Q3 asks about "in 1970". The second paragraph mentions that "in 1970" the stated main goal was to increase the number of minority-owned businesses. The subsequent sentences identify this as the "ownership gap". Hence B is correct.

The focus on assisting minority-owned firms with growth potential occurred only in the late 1970s, not "in 1970". Note that the question does not ask "in the 1970s."

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Re: The United States government has a long-standing policy of   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 09:44