Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [355]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [75]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [40]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [14]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The United States petroleum industry’s cost to meet environmental regu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
E for me.
Assuming there is an apostrophe (industry's)
A,B,C - The United States petroleum industry's cost
industry's cost incorrectly implies that it is the cost of the industry. But it is cost to the industry.
D has a misplaced modifier problem.
E is fine. ( Though I have mixed feelings about the Cost to ....industry of meeting) {industry of meeting??}
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: The United States petroleum industry’s cost to meet environmental regu [#permalink]
Why is "estimated at" unidiomatic? Its used all the time!? I mean surely the GMAT can't have a problem with "estimated at" or "projected at"? Is "estimated/projected at" grammatically wrong?

The direct economic value the Internet provides to the rest of the U.S. economy is estimated at $175 billion. https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6268.html

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [15]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmat1011 wrote:
Why is "estimated at" unidiomatic? Its used all the time!? I mean surely the GMAT can't have a problem with "estimated at" or "projected at"? Is "estimated/projected at" grammatically wrong?

The direct economic value the Internet provides to the rest of the U.S. economy is estimated at $175 billion. https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6268.html

Thanks.

Hi,

when you're talking about the present, "estimated at" is fine; when you're projecting to the future, "estimated to be" (or, even better, changing the sentence to use the future "will be") is correct.

For idioms, it's all about what the GMAT considers correct - that's the "fun" thing about idioms, there are no rules, it's just what "is" correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Concentration: finance
Schools:INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
 Q48  V31
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Send PM
Kudos
its quiet straight forward question. as petroleum industry has to meet the regulation but not the industry's cost. hence the answer E is correct. pls correct me if i am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2781 [12]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
tirupatibalaji wrote:
its quiet straight forward question. as petroleum industry has to meet the regulation but not the industry's cost. hence the answer E is correct. pls correct me if i am wrong.

After further review, you can certainly arrive at the answer in under 60 seconds:
(1) If you identify the improper idioms "estimated at" & "projected at"

(2) You have a firm grasp of the concept of possessives. Possessive cases (- ‘s) is used only with the names of living things.

We don't say:
Table's legs...
Industry's cost...

We say:
Legs of the table...
Cost to the industry...
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [0]
Send PM
tonebeeze wrote:
tirupatibalaji wrote:
We don't say:
Table's legs...
Industry's cost...

We say:
Legs of the table...
Cost to the industry...

Actually, it's perfectly OK to use possessives with inanimate objects (or even intangibles).

"The table's legs are uneven", "the industry's costs are high this year" and "the plan's advantages are clear" are all well constructed sentences.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
When GMAC’s psychometrician remarked about removing the idioms from the database, he must have certainly meant including this one. However, I got interested in this because the title said it is a tough modifier problem. Which modifier?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
E for me.

(A) The United States petroleum industry’s cost to meet environmental regulations is projected at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum by the end of the decade.
(B) The United States petroleum industry’s cost by the end of the decade to meet environmental regulations is estimated at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum.
(C) By the end of the decade, the United States petroleum industry’s cost of meeting environmental regulations is projected at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum.========
(D) To meet environmental regulations, the cost to the United States petroleum industry is estimated at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum by the end of the decade.
(E) It is estimated that by the end of the decade the cost to the United States petroleum industry of meeting environmental regulations will be ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum.

I think for A and B the "end of the decade" is poorly positioned and does not clearly link to the objective.
C I believe is an incorrect idiom, D same as A.

E sounded most fluid.

More experienced sentence correction peeps can chime in with better reasons why A-D wont work.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Seeing a fresh request for an expert reply here... but Verbal Bot is the only one who has posted in the past 5 years, and I don't think that Mr. or Ms. Bot made the request. If you have a specific question, please let us know! Otherwise, please refer to some of the excellent explanations above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [1]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Seeing a fresh request for an expert reply here... but Verbal Bot is the only one who has posted in the past 5 years, and I don't think that Mr. or Ms. Bot made the request. If you have a specific question, please let us know! Otherwise, please refer to some of the excellent explanations above.

I think the Verbal Bot had an intuition that I'd have a query on this question.

Q1) What is this question testing?
The only thing I could point to during my quick scan is 'by the end of the decade' is moving around implying whatever this prepositional phrase is modifying should make sense.

Q2) How can we eliminate answer choices in this Q?
I got the right answer - E - by using my ear => eliminating bad sounding answer choices, and I do not want to rely on my ear as I know how GMAC plays with people's ear to get you to choose the wrong answer.

Thanks Ninja Man.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
I think it's petroleum industry to meet environmental regulations

not the cost to meet environmental regulations
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
The United States petroleum industry’s cost to meet environmental regulations is projected at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum by the end of the decade.

(A) The United States petroleum industry’s cost to meet environmental regulations is projected at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum by the end of the decade.

(B) The United States petroleum industry’s cost by the end of the decade to meet environmental regulations is estimated at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum.

(C) By the end of the decade, the United States petroleum industry’s cost of meeting environmental regulations is projected at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum.

(D) To meet environmental regulations, the cost to the United States petroleum industry is estimated at ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum by the end of the decade.

(E) It is estimated that by the end of the decade the cost to the United States petroleum industry of meeting environmental regulations will be ten percent of the price per barrel of refined petroleum.

daagh
i read somwhere in your post that for estimations we donot use will , may ,could etc is better so how is E correct here ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Vanam wrote
Quote:
i read somwhere in your post that for estimations we donot use will , may ,could etc is better so how is E correct here ?

Did I say estimation togther with ' will ' are wrong? I might have only said that estimation along with 'could' or 'may" will be better. If in case, we do not have such a choice, as in this example, what do we do?
That is the reason one must not read in between the line out of context.

Originally posted by daagh on 16 Sep 2019, 09:24.
Last edited by daagh on 21 Oct 2019, 08:19, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [1]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
Send PM