Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The university graduates, all of them eager to get involved

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
The university graduates, all of them eager to get involved [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 15:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The university graduates, all of them eager to get involved in..., volunteered to.. (Correct)

The university graduates, all of whom are eager to get involved in..., volunteered to.. (Correct)

Note the 2nd one has a verb "are", so whom should be used!

Can anyone explain why? and also I am often not sure that in which case the "be" verb should be used or simply just verb with be.ex. "eager to" vs. "are eager too"

Don't forget Kudo if you like my answer :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: all of them v.s all of whom [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 22:14
if you use are with them the sentence becomes: university graduates, all of them are..
this is wrong since now there are two unlinked subjects - university grads, and all of them - separated by a comma. doesnt make sense.

"university graduates, all of whom are" is correct usage - since the whom points to the same subject - univ grads.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: all of them v.s all of whom [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 23:45
vivesomnium wrote:
if you use are with them the sentence becomes: university graduates, all of them are..
this is wrong since now there are two unlinked subjects - university grads, and all of them - separated by a comma. doesnt make sense.

"university graduates, all of whom are" is correct usage - since the whom points to the same subject - univ grads.

the 2 sentences are both correct according to manhatten..., I dont get the logic behind...

Don't forget Kudo if you like my answer :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: all of them v.s all of whom [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 11:36
InspiredAnimal wrote:
The university graduates, all of them eager to get involved in..., volunteered to.. (Correct)

The university graduates, all of whom are eager to get involved in..., volunteered to..

Note the 2nd one has a verb "are", so whom should be used!

Can anyone explain why? and also I am often not sure that in which case the "be" verb should be used or simply just verb with be.ex. "eager to" vs. "are eager too"

Both are indeed correct:
-the graduates, all of them, eager to.. If you'd want to use a form of to be here the sentence wouldnt seem to work.. For example: the graduates, all of them are eager to get in... This would change the emphasis of the sentence..
Look at this: The girls, all of them, eager to get started are waiting outside the door. The girls, all of them are eager to get started and are waiting outside the door..

-The graduates, all of whom are.. If you'd leave a form of to be out same thing applies.. The graduates, all of whom, eager to get in..
Re: all of them v.s all of whom   [#permalink] 24 May 2011, 11:36