Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The upcoming presidential election in the West African

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 17:45
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

79% (02:21) correct 21% (01:29) wrong based on 348 sessions
1. The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon.

I disagree with the OA. The assumption stated in the OA is a premise in the stimulus.My dilemna is how can a premise be an assumption?SHould'nt assumption be unstated and fill agap between the conclusion and the evidence. Please no A,B type replies.Discussions only :)
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 277
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [2] , given: 0

Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 17:57
2
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="goalsnr"]1. The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
Correct, as the Americans assume that socialist part is not their ally and hence does not allay their fears when the socialist party comes to power.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
Way to extreme- Wrong
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
Out of scope
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
Out of scope
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon.
Way to extreme- Wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 277
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 18:03
goalsnr wrote:
1. The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon.

I disagree with the OA. The assumption stated in the OA is a premise in the stimulus.My dilemna is how can a premise be an assumption?SHould'nt assumption be unstated and fill agap between the conclusion and the evidence. Please no A,B type replies.Discussions only :)


Now to specifically address your concern between premise and assumption on option A.

Premise is that Americans feel that the socialist blokes will not join hands with them.
Assumption is that the Americans believe that the socialist blocks are not their ally. If we deny this belief, the argument falls apart cause there is no basis for their feeling :).....
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 541
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 18:17
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
1. The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
Correct, as the Americans assume that socialist part is not their ally and hence does not allay their fears when the socialist party comes to power.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
Way to extreme- Wrong
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
Out of scope
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
Out of scope
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon.
Way to extreme- Wrong


I agree.

Premise:The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department.

Premise: Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States.

Conclusion: However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.

In order for America to fear that Ganelon will break away from America if the Socialist party is elected we have to assume that the socialist party is more likely to oppose America than the other party. If the Socialist party was in favor of America then the argument falls apart.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 22:48
My bad...I misinterpreted the argument.

The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.

For some weird reason I read/inferred "soclaist party" instead of Ganelon and picked E

Thanks for explaining.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: doing good things...
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1245
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 23:42
Assumption is an unstated premise.
E is a stated premise, which simply repeats the premise "However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election" just making the premise even stronger.
_________________

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 538
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:05
Pkit wrote:
Assumption is an unstated premise.
E is a stated premise, which simply repeats the premise "However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election" just making the premise even stronger.

I'm not sure if it is a stated premise. The premise just says that the Socialist party is expected to win. Either way, it is a definitely a distractor and tempting answer.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: doing good things...
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1245
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:56
Dawgie wrote:
Pkit wrote:
Assumption is an unstated premise.
E is a stated premise, which simply repeats the premise "However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election" just making the premise even stronger.

I'm not sure if it is a stated premise. The premise just says that the Socialist party is expected to win. Either way, it is a definitely a distractor and tempting answer.


well, E is clearly very strong and even seems to be extreem.
_________________

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 09:07
yeah E is too extreme - its like throwing in the towel before the votes which is not what the passage is talking about. A is best since the things said *could* happen but not end of the world like E
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 280
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-Ganelon [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 02:28
Thanks Ashwin for explanation. I agree with you.
_________________

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Location: Iran (Islamic Republic of)
Concentration: Human Resources
GMAT Date: 12-06-2012
GPA: 3.5
WE: Research (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 03:05
I agree that answer A is correct if we have only two parties. But what if we have three parties; the one which is currently in presidency, the Socialist party which is more likely to win, and the third one which is even more likely to oppose USA but is unlikely to win the presidency! There is no statement about how many parties are going to attend at the forthcoming election! hum?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 62

Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 00:11
Guys - any explanations for rejecting D ?
_________________

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 131
Location: India
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 15

Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 12:00
Can someone please explain A vs D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 294
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 85

Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 18:53
Hi,

In the one hand, The argument stated that :

the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.

So, there are only fears. Actually, we don't know if it will happens after the election (i.e if Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a non.......),or Maybe NOT after all

in D: The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.

Here, D cannot be the assumption because it literally suggests that YES , it will happen

In the other hand, A states naively that Socialist party is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government and this is the reason behind the fears but unstated in the argument and that this is what the argument needs to be logical.

Social party expected to win + social party MORE LIKELY to oppose USA -----> fears

Hope that helps !
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Posts: 91
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 23:43
goalsnr wrote:
1. The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon.

I disagree with the OA. The assumption stated in the OA is a premise in the stimulus.My dilemna is how can a premise be an assumption?SHould'nt assumption be unstated and fill agap between the conclusion and the evidence. Please no A,B type replies.Discussions only :)





here is my approach:

A: does support the argument above and if taken that its the assumption then, the whole naration give suits valid
B: too faar from extreme
C: not mentioned of this
D: not given above, so eleiminated
E: they dint even mention the election date, where the winning comes to picture :P

so option A is the answer:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1793
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 310

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 05:28
goalsnr wrote:
1. The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon.

I disagree with the OA. The assumption stated in the OA is a premise in the stimulus.My dilemna is how can a premise be an assumption?SHould'nt assumption be unstated and fill agap between the conclusion and the evidence. Please no A,B type replies.Discussions only :)


OA Please? I chose D. It seemed like A was already states in the question stem...
Let us know please
Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Location: United States
GPA: 3.5
WE: Brand Management (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 01:01
I choose 'A',What's the OA please?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 05:54
ITS CLEAR THAT THERE ARE ONLY TWO PROSPECT ANSWERS-------" A" AND "E"....BALANCE ARE IRRELEVANT......

RELEVANT STRUCTURE IS-
CONCLUSION- The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department.
PREMISE- The Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc.

Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?


(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government....SOCIALIST PARTY IS WIDELY EXPECTED TO WIN HENCE THE CONCERN......EXPECTATION LED TO CONCERN........CORRECT.


(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon.....IF THE SOCIALIST PARTY WILL WIN , WHICH IS NOT INFERRED THOUGH, THEN THERE IS NO NEED TO FEEL CONCERNED.....GO AHEAD AND FRAME A NEW POLICY .......AND START WORKING TOWARDS THE NEW SCENARIO...CONCERN IS ONLY TILL YOU ARE WAITING FOR A RESULT.......AFTER THE RESULT YOU ARE EITHER HAPPY OR UNHAPPY.... NOT CONCERNED.....INCORRECT..



KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 15:54
The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.-correct reasoning
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.-nothing like this
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.- not discussed about other nations
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.-it is not mentioned in argument
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon.-wrong
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 914
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 20:44
Choices boils down to A and D.

When in doubt use ANT=Assumption Negation Test.

A Socialist party government in Ganelon is NO more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.

Well if it is no more likely then there shouldn't be any FEARS.
Conclusion falls apart and hence the answer.

The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would NOT be served by an alliance with anti American forces.

If their believe says so then still they could have thought that they don't need alliance for their anti-american stance.
Conclusion is still VALID.
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Re: The upcoming presidential election in the West African   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2014, 20:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 The upcoming presidential election in the West African papillon86 28 09 Dec 2009, 15:29
The upcoming presidential election in the West African reply2spg 22 21 Feb 2009, 11:51
The upcoming presidential election in the West African sidbidus 5 15 May 2007, 04:24
In the 2000 United States presidential election, polls GMATT73 16 08 Oct 2005, 03:04
The upcoming presidential election in the West African ywilfred 15 03 Sep 2005, 01:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The upcoming presidential election in the West African

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.