Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The upcoming presidential election in the West African

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 558
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

The upcoming presidential election in the West African [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 11:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 110
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 12:13
I think the answer should be D

(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
-- This is almost stated in the passage so this could not be an assumption

(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
-- As it is nowhere mentioned that if socialist party win election then there could be political unstability in West Africa

(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
-- Nothing is talked about US relations with other African nations

(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
-- This could be an assumption

(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon
-- This is also almost stated in the passage
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 12:49
A & D are very close but I would go with A because I feel D is too strong a statement and there is no mention of American forces in the para :|
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 652
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 13:09
IMO A.

(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
- Feeling of People is OOS
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
- Other nations OOS
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
- Not sure May be alliance even not required
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon
- Can't assume this
_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1435
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 12:39
This is one of the slippery slope Questions and D seems to be right only because A is almost stated in the Question.

A says

A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.

Stem says

Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.

So the stem is saying, Some one (non Soc) is in power and Soc will come to power and anti American stance will begin. Do we need any more bananas?? Its is impossible to have the Soc in power now, have good ties now and then those ties becoming anti American after the new election. Even if it were to happen, it some what leads to D that the internal changes in the Soc party think that joining hands with anti american stance is good for their country.

The Q makes a jump from election wining to the stance of the government

D has its own set of issues with the strong language atypical of the GMAT Q's.

I tried to do the negation test. Both seem to invalidate the conclusion that G will be a grave concern to DOS but it tilted a bit in favor of A and here is why

If Soc are not likely to oppose the US than non Soc, it is not of grave concern.

If Soc leaders do not believe that joining hands with anti American forces is not beneficial, then it is not a grave concern as well. How ever, this doesnt cover the third state of breaking away and sitting on the wall. Whether it is a concern or not, it depends but it definitely not a grave one as G does not oppose US.

OA & OE please?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 558
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 17:11
IMO A...don't have OA for this
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 21:43
nitindas wrote:
I think the answer should be D

(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
-- This is almost stated in the passage so this could not be an assumption

(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
-- As it is nowhere mentioned that if socialist party win election then there could be political unstability in West Africa

(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
-- Nothing is talked about US relations with other African nations

(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
-- This could be an assumption

(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon
-- This is also almost stated in the passage


Nation's interest? Alliance? Thinking these are assumptions is too much of a stretch as these items are not even discussed nor can be considered assumptions. Agree with A. Keep in mind sometimes assumption questions will be extremely easy. Don't think that it can't be A because it's too obvious.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 256
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 22:17
I'd bet $100 that it is actually D, not A. :)
I think the key is in the words 'likely' and 'believe' - only 1 is certain.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 23:03
IMO A !!.

D says they believe that nations interest is best served....

Nations interest is too far to infer.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1578
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 23:23
Another A by POE.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 23:27
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 428
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 14

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 00:24
definitely A.............D is far from infer.....
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 00:41
I think A shld be the answer.
In D, alliance with anti-american forces is mentioned. But who knows there will be an alliance or not. it is too extreme to be an assumption.
reply2spg wrote:
The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 12:28
My take is A. I don't think the author is trying to assume leaders' beliefs in whether the nation is best served by Sociliasm.

I think it goes a bit too far.

D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 256
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 18:48
ritula wrote:
I think A shld be the answer.
In D, alliance with anti-american forces is mentioned. But who knows there will be an alliance or not. it is too extreme to be an assumption.
reply2spg wrote:
The upcoming presidential election in the West African republic of Ganelon is of grave concern to the U.S. State Department. Ganelon presently has strong political and military ties to the United States. However, the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election, leading to fears that Ganelon will soon break away from the pro-American bloc and adopt a nonaligned or openly anti-American stance.
Which of the following is an assumption made in the passage above?
(A) A Socialist party government in Ganelon is more likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government.
(B) The people of the United States recognize their nation’s interest in the political stability of West Africa.
(C) A weakening of U.S. political ties with Ganelon could have serious consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations.
(D) The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe that their nation’s interests would best be served by an alliance with anti-American forces.
(E) The Socialist party will win the upcoming election in Ganelon


Actually, I could use the same logic that you used to say that the word 'likely' indicates uncertainty - likely, not likely,- who knows what will happen. I think it is D because I see more factual info there - '...leaders...believe...'.

I think OA would be nice at this point.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 919
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 17

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 22:17
post488938.html
guys
No IMO now on..pls write a few lines supporting yr claims :)
regds
_________________

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 06:08
OA PLEASE.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 84
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 05:20
can som1 post OA pls
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 428
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 14

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 13:12
OA is A......
This is a question from 1000 CR .... I checked out and found the OA to be A
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Ganelon [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 21:01
)(B)states”The people of the United States” while the passage states “grave concern to the U.S. State Department” so out of scope.
(C)states” consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations” nowhere in passage ,there are hints for the consequences for U.S. relations with other African nations so out of scope
(D)states “The Socialist party leaders in Ganelon believe…. best be served” firstly we cannot assume anything about what socialist party believes because author states only about- what is likely to happen when the socialist party wins ,secondly “best” is an extreme word .
(E) passage states” the Socialist party is widely expected to win the election” so E being too extreme cant be the assumption.
(A) assumption negation –“ A Socialist party government in Ganelon is less likely to oppose the United States than is a non-Socialist party government” if that were the case the elections wouldn’t be of grave concern to US state department.
Re: CR: Ganelon   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2010, 21:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 The upcoming presidential election in the West African papillon86 28 09 Dec 2009, 15:29
2 The upcoming presidential election in the West African goalsnr 19 03 Jul 2008, 17:45
The upcoming presidential election in the West African sidbidus 5 15 May 2007, 04:24
In the 2000 United States presidential election, polls GMATT73 16 08 Oct 2005, 03:04
The upcoming presidential election in the West African ywilfred 15 03 Sep 2005, 01:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The upcoming presidential election in the West African

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.