Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 5

Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 19:50
arghya05 wrote:
The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and under has nearly doubled in the past 8 years. It is clear that this increase has prevented child fatalities that otherwise would have occurred, because although the number of children aged 4 and under who were killed while riding in cars involved in accidents rose 10 percent over the past 8 years, the total number of serious automobile accidents rose by 20 percent during that period.
Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
(A) Some of the automobile safety seats purchased for children under 4 continue to be used after the child reaches the age of 5.
(B) The proportion of serious automobile accidents involving child passengers has remained constant over the past 8 years.
(C) Children are taking more trips in cars today than they were 8 years ago, but the average total time they spend in cars has remained constant.
(D) The sharpest increase in the use of automobile safety seats over the past 8 years has been for children over the age of 2.
(E) The number of fatalities among adults involved in automobile accidents rose by 10 percent over the past 8 years.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
QA 8

The first thing I thought when I read the bolded part of the argument was, "The total number of serious automobile accidents does not specify the age of the people in the cars - what if that 20% increase was made up entirely of adults?" If that were true, then the argument that the increase in child fatalities is irrelevant would be false. So, if you want to strengthen the claim, look for a piece of information stating that the number of children in these accidents has increased as well. Answer (B) states exactly that - since the proportion of accidents involving children has remained constant, then any increase in ALL accidents means there's an increase in the RELEVANT accidents we care about. (B) is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 00:56
For me B seems correct
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 00:38
It is B:

Assuming that the proportion of accidents involving children has remained constant, while the number of the serious accidents have increased clearly supports the conclusion that the use of safety seats decreased the fatality.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:00
B is the only one tht strengthens the argument

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 12:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 12:36