Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 02:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 01:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

38% (02:51) correct 62% (01:21) wrong based on 63 sessions
The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and under has nearly doubled in the past 8 years. It is clear that this increase has prevented child fatalities that otherwise would have occurred, because although the number of children aged 4 and under who were killed while riding in cars involved in accidents rose 10 percent over the past 8 years, the total number of serious automobile accidents rose by 20 percent during that period.
Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
(A) Some of the automobile safety seats purchased for children under 4 continue to be used after the child reaches the age of 5.
(B) The proportion of serious automobile accidents involving child passengers has remained constant over the past 8 years.
(C) Children are taking more trips in cars today than they were 8 years ago, but the average total time they spend in cars has remained constant.
(D) The sharpest increase in the use of automobile safety seats over the past 8 years has been for children over the age of 2.
(E) The number of fatalities among adults involved in automobile accidents rose by 10 percent over the past 8 years.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
QA 8
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 15:44
whats the QA??? is it B??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 02:07
tough one. between B and C I pick B.
It is difficult one for an explanation.

Last edited by Indien on 04 Apr 2010, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 8

Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 04:55
I would pick B

Success is my Destiny

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 06:07
clearly B

Argument says: % of serious accidents rose 20% but child fatality rose only 10%
so child fatality must have been reduced by safety gear

But what if the proportion of accidents invloving child fatalities itself decreased by lets say 90%,then the proportioante rise in death of children under 4 should have been somewhere around 2% which is far less than 10%.

Here the stimulus comes in to say that No,THE PRPORTION REMAINED SAME and clarifies that no such decrease took place and seals the argument.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 19:34
will appreciate if someone can provide a more detailed explanation on this
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 22:17
I think it's B..

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 13:06
The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and under has nearly doubled in the past 8 years. It is clear that this increase has prevented child fatalities that otherwise would have occurred, because although the number of children aged 4 and under who were killed while riding in cars involved in accidents rose 10 percent over the past 8 years, the total number of serious automobile accidents rose by 20 percent during that period.

(A) Some of the automobile safety seats purchased for children under 4 continue to be used after the child reaches the age of 5.

I'm newbie in CR.
Maybe I undeerstood wrong all conception of the Strengthen questions.
I thought the answer is A.
We need to prove cause, and the cause here is 'increase of child fatalities'.
And the effect is "doubling children seates by children aged 4 and under".
so, answer A says "yes, increase of child fatalities was because seats purchased for children under 4 continue to be used after the child reaches the age of 5"
Can somebody explaine where my mistake is, please?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 16:46
B is closer. We can rule out A since we are only looking at kids <= 4yrs of age and data pertaining to that. the key here in the question is that we have to focus on accident numbers of kids 4 yr and under....hope this helps
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 00:09
IMO B.

The conclusion - It is clear that this increase has prevented child fatalities that otherwise would have occurred.

Best supporting premise: fatalities that otherwise would have occurred.

HAS PREVENTED is the catch here. If the safety seats has preveneted the fatalities for the 8 yrs then the use of safety seats is justified. Choice B is indicating this.

(B) The proportion of serious automobile accidents involving child passengers has remained constant over the past 8 years.

arghya05 wrote:
(C) Children are taking more trips in cars today than they were 8 years ago, but the average total time they spend in cars has remained constant.
(D) The sharpest increase in the use of automobile safety seats over the past 8 years has been for children over the age of 2.
(E) The number of fatalities among adults involved in automobile accidents rose by 10 percent over the past 8 years.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
QA 8

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 12:22
can someone provide a detailed explanation on how (B) strengthens the argument?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 07:06
When I encounter question that is too time consuming to understand, I just scan the keyword in each answer choice for POE:
(A) Some of the automobile safety seats purchased for children under 4 continue to be used after the child reaches the age of 5.-Children over 5 is out of scope
(B) The proportion of serious automobile accidents involving child passengers has remained constant over the past 8 years.-proportion is usually related to %-keep this one
(C) Children are taking more trips in cars today than they were 8 years ago, but the average total time they spend in cars has remained constant.- again out of scope
(D) The sharpest increase in the use of automobile safety seats over the past 8 years has been for children over the age of 2.-not pertaining to the subject matter
(E) The number of fatalities among adults involved in automobile accidents rose by 10 percent over the past 8 years.- not pertaining to subject matter

Going back to B, I still cant understand how they are related, but since every other choice is out of scope, I would keep B , finger crossed of course
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please solve [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 10:38

Conclusion:The increase in the use of automobile safety has prevented child fatalities
Evidence :
The use of automobile safety seats by children aged 4 and under has nearly doubled in the past 8 years.
The number of children aged 4 and under who were killed while riding in cars involved in accidents rose 10 percent over the past 8 years
The total number of serious automobile accidents rose by 20 percent during that period.

Note ,how suttle the difference is ,the conclusion talks of preventing child fatalities and evidence talks of serious automobile accidents which can include children ,teenagers ,etc all age groups ,But if its given liek in (B)that the proportion of serious fatalities in children amongst this vast group remained same ,it definitedly strengthens the conclusion ,

For example let in 1900 ,the no of child accident =100,in 1908 it shall be 110 (10%more)

let total no of serious accidents in 1900=1000 ,in 1908 it shall be 1200 (20%more)but we know that child fatalities are fixed at 10% proportion ,so compared to other age group fatalities ,they have decreased if we are to assume that their proportion is fixed over the last 10 years ,a period during which serious accidents over other age groups rose over 20%.

I hope its now clear to all ,

Humble Regards ,

Amlan Dutta
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 10:53
I pick B.

I'm currently working on CR with the PowerScore bible, so I'll apply their techniques:

First find the conclusion (if any):
Quote:
It is clear that this increase has prevented child fatalities that otherwise would have occurred

Now we need to find answers that strengthen this conclusion. Well, except B they do not add any value to the conclusion, as they mostly bring in irrelevant information.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 14:32
IMO b - defo a diff one : )
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 01:18
easy B
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 00:37
B it is
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 04:15
i think B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 04:20
picked B.......
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: good cr please slove [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 11:29
Eden wrote:
When I encounter question that is too time consuming to understand, I just scan the keyword in each answer choice for POE:
(A) Some of the automobile safety seats purchased for children under 4 continue to be used after the child reaches the age of 5.-Children over 5 is out of scope
(B) The proportion of serious automobile accidents involving child passengers has remained constant over the past 8 years.-proportion is usually related to %-keep this one
(C) Children are taking more trips in cars today than they were 8 years ago, but the average total time they spend in cars has remained constant.- again out of scope
(D) The sharpest increase in the use of automobile safety seats over the past 8 years has been for children over the age of 2.-not pertaining to the subject matter
(E) The number of fatalities among adults involved in automobile accidents rose by 10 percent over the past 8 years.- not pertaining to subject matter

Going back to B, I still cant understand how they are related, but since every other choice is out of scope, I would keep B , finger crossed of course

Thanks for the explanation.
Re: good cr please slove   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2010, 11:29