Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The use of chemical pesticides in this country is equally

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2005
Posts: 406
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The use of chemical pesticides in this country is equally [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 07:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (02:13) correct 33% (00:55) wrong based on 7 sessions
The use of chemical pesticides in this country is equally extensive or more so than ten years ago.
(A) equally extensive or more so than ten years ago
(B) equal to or more extensive than ten years ago
(C) as extensive as ten years ago or more
(D) equal to, if not more, than ten years ago
(E) as extensive as it was ten years ago, if not more so


Please explain your thought process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 364
Location: London
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 07:36
E

A-doesn't make sense
B- think it shoulc be extensive to also
C- looks good but think it should be extensive as it was
D- awkward
E- this looks grammatically correct
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1128
Location: CA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 09:08
D for me.
E:
as extensive as it was ten years ago, if not more so

indicates pesticides are as extensive as they were "10 year ago or more" means ..20 years ago etc. "If not more" is wrongly modifying "10 years ago"
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 09:22
I think it is E,
D is awkward because of the following reason.
"equal to, if not more, than ten years ago" let's disect this sentece

equal to than ten years ago
if not more than ten years ago.
here first one is grammatically wrong but second one is right. equal to is never followed by than. So choice D is incorrect.

_________________

hey ya......

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1128
Location: CA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 09:32
nakib77 wrote:
I think it is E,
D is awkward because of the following reason.
"equal to, if not more, than ten years ago" let's disect this sentece

equal to than ten years ago
if not more than ten years ago.
here first one is grammatically wrong but second one is right. equal to is never followed by than. So choice D is incorrect.


right.
equal to, if not more than, ten years ago

would make more sense.
also D lacks adjective "extensive"
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2005, 07:24
duttsit wrote:
D for me.
E:
as extensive as it was ten years ago, if not more so

indicates pesticides are as extensive as they were "10 year ago or more" means ..20 years ago etc. "If not more" is wrongly modifying "10 years ago"

Does the presence of "so" after "if not more" have any effect on what it modifies.
I chose E too but thought yours was a valid argument.
Can you elaborate a little?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 180
Location: Hyderabad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 06:28
one more vote for E.

It alone has the apt comaprision.

Krishna
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 15:59
anandsebastin wrote:
duttsit wrote:
D for me.
E:
as extensive as it was ten years ago, if not more so

indicates pesticides are as extensive as they were "10 year ago or more" means ..20 years ago etc. "If not more" is wrongly modifying "10 years ago"

Does the presence of "so" after "if not more" have any effect on what it modifies.
I chose E too but thought yours was a valid argument.
Can you elaborate a little?


I dont think it makes any sense here when you say "if not more" modifies "10 years ago". Anything after "," does not always modify any Parts of speech before ",".

It is clearly (E) for Proper comparison.
1. The use of chemical pesticides in this country is as extensive as it was ten years ago, if not more so.
comparison is between today's extensiveness of use of chemical pesticide and that of 10 yrs ago.
2. so --> extensive
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2771
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Chemical Pesticides. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 08:43
sgrover wrote:
The use of chemical pesticides in this country is equally extensive or more so than ten years ago.
(A) equally extensive or more so than ten years ago
(B) equal to or more extensive than ten years ago
(C) as extensive as ten years ago or more
(D) equal to, if not more, than ten years ago
(E) as extensive as it was ten years ago, if not more so


Please explain your thought process.


Can someone explain the structure of E? The if not more so seems to be a dependent clause?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Chemical Pesticides. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 09:38
Please explain your thought process.[/quote]

I will go with E. All other options are comparing the "Use" with "Years"
Re: SC: Chemical Pesticides.   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2007, 09:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The use of chemical pesticides in this country is equally bmwhype2 11 10 Sep 2007, 00:58
The use of chemical pesticides in this country is equally leeye84 0 03 Jun 2007, 15:07
Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly prude_sb 4 19 Apr 2006, 18:38
Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly shygo 2 03 Sep 2004, 10:46
Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly anuramm 6 01 Aug 2004, 21:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The use of chemical pesticides in this country is equally

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.