Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 13:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

31% (02:01) correct 69% (00:51) wrong based on 36 sessions
8. The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable astronomers to study the actual formation of black holes and neutron stars.
A) in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable
B) in the way electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable
C) like electromagnetic waves, hopefully will enable
D) like electromagnetic waves, would enable, hopefully
E) such as electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable

Is it ever appropriate to separate "will" with the verb itself. I thought it was n't.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Hard work is the main determinant of success

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [1] , given: 6

Re: Gravity waves [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable astronomers to study the actual formation of black holes and neutron stars.

A) in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable - 'hopefully' is almost always wrong in GMAT
B) in the way electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable - CORRECT
C) like electromagnetic waves, hopefully will enable - 'hopefully' is almost always wrong in GMAT
D) like electromagnetic waves, would enable, hopefully - 'hopefully' is almost always wrong in GMAT
E) such as electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable - 'such as' is used to give examples
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gravity waves [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 08:05
I pick B because I look at your question about Will.

I was really torn between A, B though.

After reading this by BlindVision, I'm a bit more clear now:

"This once-useful adverb meaning "with hope" has been distorted and is now widely used to mean "I hope" or "it is to be hoped." Such use is not merely wrong, it is silly. To say, "Hopefully, I'll leave on the noon plane" is to talk nonsense. Do you mean you'll leave on the noon plane in a hopeful frame of mind? Or do you mean you hope you'll leave on the noon plane? Whichever you mean, you haven't said it clearly. Although the word in its new, free-floating capacity may be pleasurable and even useful to many, it offends the ear of many others, who do not like to see words dulled or eroded, particularly when the erosion leads to ambiguity, softness, or nonsense."

http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarfaq/f/sentadvqa.htm
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: Gravity waves [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 14:24
I've been told 'like' compares nouns.. 'as' compares actions.. is this always the case?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gravity waves [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 17:04
-throw out choice with like, there is no noun or noun phrase comparison. <remove option C and D>
-hopefully is non-idiomatic usage < remove options A and C>
Leaves us with B, which is correcto
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 26

Re: Gravity waves [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 20:54
jcurry wrote:
I've been told 'like' compares nouns.. 'as' compares actions.. is this always the case?

For Like you are cent percent correct.
For 'As', it is actually full clauses (which will obviously contain your verbs/actions within clause)

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Re: Gravity waves   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2011, 20:54