Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The value of a product is determined by the ratio of its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2006, 08:07
(E)
ayushi - OA please.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 11:33
I go with E as well
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 13:41
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 14:12
maybe c ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 14:18
jitu_ch wrote:
Hmmm....I seem to disagree with the analysis of points B and C mentioned by u2lover:
----
(B) certain segments... don't need to read further... we care about all consumers
(C) again same as B
(D) completely out of scope
----
If you read further, it is "different segments of the population of consumers" - so here we are in fact talking about the consumer population only...

I do not know whether i am on thinking on the same lines as you guys, but consider this explanation:

I choose C.
Since "Competing products.....try to appeal to different segments of the population of consumers" may suggest that the product would come under 2 sections of consumers....
- one type who would be willing to pay any price for high quality (1st part of argument satisfied) say for e.g. the rich ppl
- and one type who would be interested in lower prices of the product not caring about the quality as such. (2nd part of argument satisfied) say for e.g. the poor ppl...

Thus, in both the cases Higher quality and Lower prices makes the consumer select the product by making the product a hit in different segments.

What say guys?? Is it correct reasoning...or am I missing some point here???

I agree with Jitu's line of reasoning, E seems to be more of an assumption and A can be derived from the argument itself. However C strengthens the argument by specifying that due to different segments of customers a product can be made more competetive by either increasing the quality or by reducing the price depending on which segment the product falls under
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 14:22
mailtheguru wrote:
OA is E.

I think old_dream_1976's explanation makes a lot of sense. The theoritical quality of a product need not match the perception of the customers. Making it explicit strengthens the argument.

but isn't E an assumption then ? so are we saying that by explicitly specifying the assumption we are strengthening the argument ? I have seen some q's like this and in most cases all ans's look equally bad...could someone please explain ?
  [#permalink] 29 Oct 2006, 14:22