Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The variables A, B, and C have values o

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 16

The variables A, B, and C have values o [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 10:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (01:45) correct 11% (00:00) wrong based on 9 sessions
The variables A, B, and C have values of 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 with frequencies as indicated by the graphs below. For which of these frequency distributions is the median equal to the mean?
A. A only
B. B only
C. C only
D. A and B only
E. A, B, and C

Based on previous questions, I know that the answer is D. However, how could I know that graph C should not be chosen without making calculations?
Could I answer this questions just seeing the graphs? How? Thanks!

Source: http://www.grockit.com
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Median - media.png
Median - media.png [ 9.95 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The variables A, B, and C have values o [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 10:25
IMO, there is no way you can see the graph of C and judge. You need to calculate for C. For A and B though symmetry should be enough.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: The variables A, B, and C have values o [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 10:37
the y-axis is the # of times the frequency is included in the distribution. For the first two graphs the pattern is uniform (4,3,2,1,2,3,4) and (1,2,3,4,3,2,1). This means the mean = median.

The 3rd graph is scattered (3,3,1,2,4,1,1) and the # of frequencies are not uniform. Therefore mean cannot equal median.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1266

Kudos [?]: 3517 [0], given: 185

Re: The variables A, B, and C have values o [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 01:55
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
The variables A, B, and C have values of 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 with frequencies as indicated by the graphs below. For which of these frequency distributions is the median equal to the mean?
A. A only
B. B only
C. C only
D. A and B only
E. A, B, and C

Based on previous questions, I know that the answer is D. However, how could I know that graph C should not be chosen without making calculations?
Could I answer this questions just seeing the graphs? How? Thanks!

Source: http://www.grockit.com

Hi,

I think you are convinced about the graphs for A & B. But you wish to know approach on how to disqualify graph C. Right!

Let's look at the frequency distribution of graph A & B.

For A

Values Frequencies
--15----------4------
--20----------3------
--25----------2------
--30----------1------
--35----------2------
--40----------3------
--45----------4------

It is quite evident that frequency distribution follows homogeneity. So For graph A, mean & median would be equal.

Now, we see graph B.

For B

Values Frequencies
--15----------1------
--20----------2------
--25----------3------
--30----------4------
--35----------3------
--40----------2------
--45----------1------

It is quite evident that frequency distribution follows homogeneity. So For graph B too, mean & median would be equal.

Now, we see graph C.

For C

Values Frequencies
--15----------3------
--20----------3------
--25----------1------
--30----------2------
--35----------4------
--40----------1------
--45----------1------

It is quite evident that frequency distribution follows heterogeneity. So for graph C, mean & median would be not be equal.

Hope this is clear to you now.

-Shalabh Jain

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Re: The variables A, B, and C have values o   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 01:55