Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. The mayor argues

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. The mayor argues [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 08:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:39) wrong based on 1 sessions
The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. The mayor argues that paying a 10$ bounty for each dead snakes turned in by a villager will result in riddling the village of snakes

Which of the following does NOT weaken the mayor's argument?
A) the bounty ensures that breeding the snakes is in the economic interest of the villagers
B) village taxes will triple if the mayor's proposal is implemented
C) the villagers do not trust the mayor
D) the snakes control the rat population, so the villagers will not kill the snakes
E) a drug company pays villagers 15$ for each live snake delivered to it

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 08:29
I would go with E..........The mayor's intention is to get rid of snakes..and if the drug company is willing to the job for him...then why not...I hope I am correct.....
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 09:41
Another good one, which test the fundamentals!

My choice is C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 12:15
E does not weaken the argument.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 12:33
E actually strengthens the arguement. Either b/c of the mayors proposal, or the Pharma's bounty, the village will get rid of snakes. Hmmm, here I go again, actually, if the bounty is $15, it gives the incentive to keep snakes. :stupid

What do TAXES have to do with anything? NOTHING!

B

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 13:19
The company gives 15$ to give away the snakes, not for keeping it. So they will get rid of the snakes.

Regarding the taxes, if the taxes increase then the mayor MAY NOT prpose to give 10$ to get rid of snakes, Just my 2 cents
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 14:01
monarc wrote:
The company gives 15$ to give away the snakes, not for keeping it. So they will get rid of the snakes.

Regarding the taxes, if the taxes increase then the mayor MAY NOT prpose to give 10$ to get rid of snakes, Just my 2 cents

Monarc, see choice A. I dint mean that they would keep the snakes, I ment that it might give an incentive to keep constant supply of snakes @$15. Maybe I am a bit braindead today. :beat

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 19:11
OA is C. Nice one Kpadma.
E is wrong but we cannot relate it to A because each choices should be seen as independent clauses.
E can be negated in the sense that if a company already has a system whereby they pay 15$ to villagers to bring them back snake but yet, the city is still overrun by snakes as the opening sentence implies, then what is the use of paying less to get rid of snakes?
B can also be negated. If village taxes are to triple, then will villagers accept the given plan? Will that not weaken the argument in the sense that the plan is then futile? :stupid

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 19:29
Paul wrote:
OA is C. Nice one Kpadma.
E is wrong but we cannot relate it to A because each choices should be seen as independent clauses.
E can be negated in the sense that if a company already has a system whereby they pay 15$ to villagers to bring them back snake but yet, the city is still overrun by snakes as the opening sentence implies, then what is the use of paying less to get rid of snakes?
B can also be negated. If village taxes are to triple, then will villagers accept the given plan? Will that not weaken the argument in the sense that the plan is then futile? :stupid

Ok, I think its time for my brain to enter a retirement home: :beatup

But before I do that, IMO, or am I missing something here. C weakens the argument the MOST. If the villagers DO NOT trust the mayor, they won't t collect snakes, and the village will not be rid of snakes. DOESNT that weaken his argument that his $10 bounty will result in city with fewer snakes??? His argument is invalid, b/c it won't work, thus weakens.. Please explain why I am wrong!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 19:55
I agree with you lvb9th that if the villagers do not trust the mayor, then it would be pointless to propose the plan. However(yes, of course), in light of all the other answers which clearly weaken the argument, then C stands as the best answer. We can look at it this way: whether or not the villagers trust the mayor, we are interested in evaluating the mayor's proposal, not the mayor himself, which would be besides the point. Moreover, a personal attack on the mayor rather than an attack to the "proposal" itself would invalidate C and make it the "best" answer.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 20:01
Paul wrote:
I agree with you lvb9th that if the villagers do not trust the mayor, then it would be pointless to propose the plan. However(yes, of course), in light of all the other answers which clearly weaken the argument, then C stands as the best answer. We can look at it this way: whether or not the villagers trust the mayor, we are interested in evaluating the mayor's proposal, not the mayor himself, which would be besides the point. Moreover, a personal attack on the mayor rather than an attack to the "proposal" itself would invalidate C and make it the "best" answer.

Hmm, thanks Paul. Maybe Kpadma can chip in. His statement of the FUNDUMENTALS really concerns me. If in fact these are the fundumentals, and the questions is fairly easy, I am SCREWED!

[#permalink] 04 Apr 2004, 20:01