Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The volume of a rectangular swimming pool is 840 cubic meter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

The volume of a rectangular swimming pool is 840 cubic meter [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 12:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:49) correct 16% (01:11) wrong based on 70 sessions
The volume of a rectangular swimming pool is 840 cubic meters and water is flowing into the swimming pool. If the surface level of the water is rising at the rate of 0.5 meters per minute, what is the rate, in cubic meters per minutes, at which the water is flowing into the swimming pool?

A. 0.125
B. 0.25
C. 0.5
D. 0.75
E. Not enough information to determine the rate
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 2

Re: Problem solving : rate [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
The correct answer is E.
There are not enough info to answer the question.
A 840 cubic meters rectangle is built from: height*length*width.
From the question we know the volume of the pool and the filling rate.
A pool can have a a height of 10*width8.4*length10 and have a volume of 840 cubic meters, and it can have a height of 1 meter, width of 100 meters and length of 8.4. In both cases the pool will fill up in a different rate.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Problem solving : rate [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 09:29
I can only get H ... so Info is not sufficient
CEO
CEO
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Problem solving : rate [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 12:04
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 7

Re: The volume of a rectangular swimming pool is 840 cubic meter [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tatane90 wrote:
The volume of a rectangular swimming pool is 840 cubic meters and water is flowing into the swimming pool. If the surface level of the water is rising at the rate of 0.5 meters per minute, what is the rate, in cubic meters per minutes, at which the water is flowing into the swimming pool?

A. 0.125
B. 0.25
C. 0.5
D. 0.75
E. Not enough information to determine the rate

A qualitative approach to this one would be to imagine a 1 meter by 1 meter opening that's 840 meters deep. How much water is flowing in to raise the water level 0.5 meters per minute?

Then imagine a giant 40 meter by 21 meter pool that's only 1 meter deep. How much water does it take to raise the water level in that pool 0.5 meters? Put another way, how long will it take to fill if you raise the water level 0.5 meters per minute?

Since one pool fills in 2 minutes and the other takes... quite a bit longer... but they both have the same volume, you know you need more information.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660

Re: The volume of a rectangular swimming pool is 840 cubic meter   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2013, 15:35