Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 05:18
I got this as a newsletter

To review one of our previous newsletters, simply visit the website listed in this email signature and look for Free Newsletter! Feel free to share our InFocus Newsletter with your friends and significant others who may also consider an MBA or another graduate degree and look for opening more doors in their career!

The Waitlist Paradox I – Why Me?

Some applicants receive a letter stating that they have been put on the waitlist. You too may have received such a letter. This letter means that you have the qualifications that the school is looking for, but due to other factors you have not been admitted. These factors might include you being too young, or being too experienced, or being less unique than desired, or having inconsistent track record, or not demonstrating compelling reasons for a great fit with the school. All in all, the admissions committee is not entirely convinced about your candidacy, but is willing to give you a chance.

If you have been put on waitlist by more than one school, then you should consider re-examining/strengthening your application. You should also consider applying for other schools who might take a different view on certain unchangeable elements of your application, such as you not being in the work force long enough. There are schools which may take prudent risks with young yet ambitious individuals who have a less proven track record.

To be put on the waitlist does NOT mean that you have been rejected. All programs have a limited number of applicants that they can accept each term. With the number of MBA applicants growing, the competition for admission is very intense. There are steps that you can take to improve your chances for admission.

Different Schools, Different Years, Different Policies

Some schools place an applicant on the waitlist early on in the admission process. The reason for this is that the school wishes to wait and see how the class composition is developing before making a final decision. Many times an individual who makes it to the second round of the process is competing not only against new applicants, but also against those on the waitlist. So being on the waitlist early on is not a bad thing at all. It is more like a deferment of admission. Other schools, especially those who are highly selective, rarely move people from the waitlist. This makes sense because very few people who are admitted to the top tier schools decline the offer to attend. Still other schools admit students from the waitlist who have shown improvement in their application. So each school has its own policy and procedure for the waitlist. Depending on each year’s application numbers and quality, each school may also adjust its waitlist policy a bit to better serve its admissions objective. Simply put, the “waitâ€
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 05:25
Can somebody sticky this?
I think its quite usefull

Btw there was a sticky a common one for say essay tips posted by rhyme, 9 things not do in WL posted by Helg, choice of recomenders posted by aaudetat, sniper approach to b-school visit etc
The sticky seems to be removed can one of the moderators make all those a sticky again

Its usefull stuff
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 05:30
it's very good outline of waitlist plan, thank you venky!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 06:21
venky1979 wrote:
First Step – Follow instructions!

What should you do first? Follow instructions. Some schools have a strict policy against unsolicited materials from waitlist applicants. If the school specifically says that they don’t want to receive supplemental materials, then do not send them. The schools look unfavorably upon waitlist applicants who do not follow directions. What can you do if you are waitlisted at a school like this? Just wait.

So in situations like this, is waiting really the only option? I wish I could do something about my app rather than just sit and wait. It feels so empty not getting any updates from schools everytime I check my email.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 06:58
konig wrote:
venky1979 wrote:

What should you do first? Follow instructions. Some schools have a strict policy against unsolicited materials from waitlist applicants. If the school specifically says that they don’t want to receive supplemental materials, then do not send them. The schools look unfavorably upon waitlist applicants who do not follow directions. What can you do if you are waitlisted at a school like this? Just wait.

So in situations like this, is waiting really the only option? I wish I could do something about my app rather than just sit and wait. It feels so empty not getting any updates from schools everytime I check my email.

You may opt for a campus visit to show your intrest indiretly
But if they have a policy against that (which sounds unlikely)
all you can do is just wait.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 07:31
venky1979 wrote:
konig wrote:
venky1979 wrote:

You may opt for a campus visit to show your intrest indiretly
But if they have a policy against that (which sounds unlikely)
all you can do is just wait.

Thank you venky for your reply. I'm just being so axious waiting. Campus visit might not be an option for me since it's peak season and I'm loaded with work right now. My boss would kill me if I abandon him to fly to US at this time. Anyway, guess all I can do is be patient and wait.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 08:01
Done!! This is my first attempt to make a STICKY as a moderator! :)
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2007, 23:32
Firstly, thank you, venky, for sharing with us this useful newsletter.

Secondly, I wanted to challenge some of the advice given in this letter:

venky1979 wrote:

If you have received acceptance into a rival school, then write and clearly outline why this school should move you into the acceptance pool, and if they do so why you will definitely consider them over the rival school. The reasons need to be compelling, not just a change of heart.

Let the school know of any acceptance to other rival schools. Let them know why they should move you off the list and why you would accept their school over the rival.

I see it as "playing the schools against each other" and I consider it as a very dangerous tactics. That was actually mentioned by Linda Abrahams of Accepted.com as one of the the "9 mistakes".
One must use this tactics with great care and only when absolutely necessary, e.g. when you are approaching a deposit deadline in a school where you were accepted but would rather attend the school where you were waitlisted.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 18:54
bumping this up for the W/L benefit. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 08:13
Is it just me or is there no link to see the full article?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 14:39
With two waitlists in hand, I thought this article might be useful. But there is nothing here that I can't figure out with some common sense. The key is trying to understand WHY I'm on waitlist; but the schools don't give much in terms of feedback.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 02:40
helg wrote:
I see it as "playing the schools against each other" and I consider it as a very dangerous tactics. That was actually mentioned by Linda Abrahams of Accepted.com as one of the the "9 mistakes".
One must use this tactics with great care and only when absolutely necessary, e.g. when you are approaching a deposit deadline in a school where you were accepted but would rather attend the school where you were waitlisted.

Why is it dangerous? Does it me that the targeted school may not like it? Just curious.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 03:27
This post received
KUDOS
nick_sun wrote:
helg wrote:

Why is it dangerous? Does it me that the targeted school may not like it? Just curious.

Sure it's dangerous! Imagine schools are girls. So, you proposed to Ann, because you really-really like her, but she's still hesitating, whether you are The Man. And you know that Beth is head over heels in love with you. Will you try to show to Ann how good you are, win her over by doing something great? Or will you just come over to Ann and say:
- Beth is ready to go out with me. But I like you better. But if you reject me, I will go out with Beth. What do you say?
Chances are she will reject you immediately, especially if Beth is nowhere near as classy as Ann, just to teach you a lesson, and make you suffer. Because she might have liked you, but you behaved like an a----le in putting her and Beth on the same scale :twisted:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 03:57
he-he-he! :lol: nice comment! kudos to you :cool
Non-Human User
Followers: 14

Premium Member
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 00:21
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2013, 00:21