Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: The waitlist dilemma ...... what to do??? Nice article [#permalink]
venky1979 wrote:
First Step – Follow instructions!

What should you do first? Follow instructions. Some schools have a strict policy against unsolicited materials from waitlist applicants. If the school specifically says that they don’t want to receive supplemental materials, then do not send them. The schools look unfavorably upon waitlist applicants who do not follow directions. What can you do if you are waitlisted at a school like this? Just wait.

So in situations like this, is waiting really the only option? I wish I could do something about my app rather than just sit and wait. It feels so empty not getting any updates from schools everytime I check my email.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
konig wrote:
venky1979 wrote:

What should you do first? Follow instructions. Some schools have a strict policy against unsolicited materials from waitlist applicants. If the school specifically says that they don’t want to receive supplemental materials, then do not send them. The schools look unfavorably upon waitlist applicants who do not follow directions. What can you do if you are waitlisted at a school like this? Just wait.

So in situations like this, is waiting really the only option? I wish I could do something about my app rather than just sit and wait. It feels so empty not getting any updates from schools everytime I check my email.

You may opt for a campus visit to show your intrest indiretly
But if they have a policy against that (which sounds unlikely)
all you can do is just wait.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
venky1979 wrote:
konig wrote:
venky1979 wrote:

You may opt for a campus visit to show your intrest indiretly
But if they have a policy against that (which sounds unlikely)
all you can do is just wait.

Thank you venky for your reply. I'm just being so axious waiting. Campus visit might not be an option for me since it's peak season and I'm loaded with work right now. My boss would kill me if I abandon him to fly to US at this time. Anyway, guess all I can do is be patient and wait.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Done!! This is my first attempt to make a STICKY as a moderator! :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Firstly, thank you, venky, for sharing with us this useful newsletter.

Secondly, I wanted to challenge some of the advice given in this letter:

venky1979 wrote:

If you have received acceptance into a rival school, then write and clearly outline why this school should move you into the acceptance pool, and if they do so why you will definitely consider them over the rival school. The reasons need to be compelling, not just a change of heart.

Let the school know of any acceptance to other rival schools. Let them know why they should move you off the list and why you would accept their school over the rival.

I see it as "playing the schools against each other" and I consider it as a very dangerous tactics. That was actually mentioned by Linda Abrahams of Accepted.com as one of the the "9 mistakes".
One must use this tactics with great care and only when absolutely necessary, e.g. when you are approaching a deposit deadline in a school where you were accepted but would rather attend the school where you were waitlisted.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
bumping this up for the W/L benefit. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Is it just me or is there no link to see the full article?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
With two waitlists in hand, I thought this article might be useful. But there is nothing here that I can't figure out with some common sense. The key is trying to understand WHY I'm on waitlist; but the schools don't give much in terms of feedback.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
helg wrote:
I see it as "playing the schools against each other" and I consider it as a very dangerous tactics. That was actually mentioned by Linda Abrahams of Accepted.com as one of the the "9 mistakes".
One must use this tactics with great care and only when absolutely necessary, e.g. when you are approaching a deposit deadline in a school where you were accepted but would rather attend the school where you were waitlisted.

Why is it dangerous? Does it me that the targeted school may not like it? Just curious.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [7]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Kudos
nick_sun wrote:
helg wrote:

Why is it dangerous? Does it me that the targeted school may not like it? Just curious.

Sure it's dangerous! Imagine schools are girls. So, you proposed to Ann, because you really-really like her, but she's still hesitating, whether you are The Man. And you know that Beth is head over heels in love with you. Will you try to show to Ann how good you are, win her over by doing something great? Or will you just come over to Ann and say:
- Beth is ready to go out with me. But I like you better. But if you reject me, I will go out with Beth. What do you say?
Chances are she will reject you immediately, especially if Beth is nowhere near as classy as Ann, just to teach you a lesson, and make you suffer. Because she might have liked you, but you behaved like an a----le in putting her and Beth on the same scale :twisted:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
he-he-he! :lol: nice comment! kudos to you :cool
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1751
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is our blog post with waitlist tips: https://gmatclub.com/blog/2014/12/how-to ... cceptance/
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot