Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:50

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The weight of the average American male today is roughly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 629

The weight of the average American male today is roughly [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 09:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:40) correct 46% (47:05) wrong based on 56 sessions
The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

A. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

B. The weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater today than fifty years ago.

C. Today, the weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

D. The average American male weighs roughly fifteen percent more today than fifty years ago.

E. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than it was fifty years ago.

oe to follow
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1980 [1] , given: 29

Re: The weight of the average American male today is roughly [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 16:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
avohden wrote:
The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

A. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

B. The weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater today than fifty years ago.

C. Today, the weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

D. The average American male weighs roughly fifteen percent more today than fifty years ago.

E. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than it was fifty years ago.

Dear avohden
I'm happy to help. :-)

This is a funny question.

The comparative form "fifteen percent more .. than" is not correct. That's why (D) is wrong.

Choices (A) - (C) just slide the word "today" around. I don't think there's a problem with any of the three locations for this word.

The only other split is that (E) includes a subject & verb after "than" for clarity. Certainly (E) is impeccable, but we are allowed to omit all words in parallel & comparison, as long as ambiguity doesn't arise, and I don't believe (A)-(C) are ambiguous in their comparisons. Sometimes omitting the verb after "than" produces gigantic ambiguities, but that's simply not the case here. For example
correct: I like lasagne more than John does.
ambiguous: I like lasagne more than John. This could mean the same as the first, or it could mean that I prefer lasagne to John!
Here, I don't believe any ambiguity arises, because it's clear that "fifty years ago" is a time reference, not a possible term in the comparison. Therefore, four of the five choices would be correct.

I don't find this a very GMAT-like question. The whole sentence is underlined, but despite that, there's exceedingly little difference among the answer choices. A good SC question has one very clear correct answer, and four choices that can be eliminated for absolutely unambiguous reasons.

That's my take.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

Re: The weight of the average American male today is roughly [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 17:26
After so many wrongs in this type of problem I started loving this type. while test taker's mind is busy in finding the comparison, test makers subtly change the meaning. - is it OK to compare mind vs test makers? :)

Back to the question.

A. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago. - weight vs time.

B. The weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater today than fifty years ago. weight vs time.

C. Today, the weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago. - weight vs time.

D. The average American male weighs roughly fifteen percent more today than fifty years ago. - remove today and then read, no sense

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 629

Re: The weight of the average American male today is roughly [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 10:25
Official Explanation

Answer: E
- This is a classic comparison question. We need to be comparing today’s average weight to the former average weight, but answer choices (A) through (D) all fill one of those two comparison slots with “fifty years ago.” (E) employs an “it” to substitute for “weight,” and thus it effects a fair comparison.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Re: The weight of the average American male today is roughly   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2013, 10:25