Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [19]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [13]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: The Western world’s love affair with chocolate is well-documented: few [#permalink]
what's wrong with E? Why is "known" critical here?

Thanks.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM
Re: The Western world’s love affair with chocolate is well-documented: few [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Calvinhobbes,

The Western world’s love affair with chocolate is well-documented: few people have been known to have tasted it for the first time without requesting more.
(A) few people have been known to have tasted it
(B) few having been known to taste it
(C) it has been tasted by few people
(D) few people have been known to taste it
(E) few people having tasted it

There are a couple reasons why the "known" is important. First of all, when all else fails, you don't want to change the meaning of the sentence as written in answer choice A, so if you had to choose between a perfectly great answer that resembles A's meaning and a perfectly great answer that doesn't resemble A's meaning, go with the former.

However, there is a better reason here. Notice the use of a colon in this sentence. That means we're looking to exemplify the idea before the colon in the part that comes after the colon. The clause "few people have been known to taste it without requesting more" accomplishes this. But the compound noun "few people having tasted it without requesting more" hasn't yet proven the point. Basically, it's a fragment that doesn't make any sense standing alone. Consider this example:

The threat of prison is great: few men have been known to run from the police.

OR

The threat of prison is great: few men running from the police.

See how the second one doesn't make any sense in its fragmentary form? This sentence is the same, but the fragment is so long it distracts from its overall incomplete-ness. : )

Hope that helps!

-t
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

This one's got some interesting verb/adjective stuff going on, and no one has yet explained it perfectly, so I thought I'd weigh in.

The Western world’s love affair with chocolate is well-documented: few people have been known to have tasted it for the first time without requesting more.
(A) few people have been known to have tasted it
PROBLEM: "have been known to have tasted it" repeats the present perfect form instead of using the infinitive, which is what we want here. After "have been known", we just want the infinitive form ("to taste"). It would be like saying "I like to have run" instead of "I like to run".

(B) few having been known to taste it
PROBLEM: "having been known" is a participle (Adjective) not a verb. While we don't technically need an independent clause after a colon, answer choice A makes it clear we do want it here. We also can't work without "people".

(C) it has been tasted by few people
PROBLEM: Unclear now who is "requesting more", because "it" feels like the subject, not "people".

(D) few people have been known to taste it
ANSWER

(E) few people having tasted it
PROBLEM: Same as B (participle, not verb), except now we've lost out the "known", which we really need.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy, I have problems with the "known" constructions.

In this other post I understood that the correct idiom is always "known to have".

Could you clarify this point?

Once again, thank you very much.

Here is the link, and below your post. I am referring when you explain why A is wrong.

sc-fear-of-rabies-1408-20.html

Hey All,

I got Private Messaged to answer this question, and indeed, the discussion has been long and fruitful! What fun!

The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A)few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.
PROBLEM: This question is a classic concision trap. The hope is that you'll pick A, thinking that A and B are the same and this one is shorter. But this is not idiomatic. We say "SUBJECT is known TO HAVE RECOVERED" not "SUBJECT is known TO RECOVER." We wouldn't say he is "known to eat twenty apples". The present tense infinitive (to eat) is wrong. Correct is that "I am known to have eaten 20 apples", which correctly uses the present perfect to imply this is what we've known from the past into the present.

Also, "after" and "once" have slightly different meanings. "I'm going to the store after lunch" implies that SOMETIME after lunch, I'll go to the store. "I'm going to the store once I've eaten lunch" implies that there is a causal relationship between the eating and the going to the store, that eating lunch is the threshold. That's what we want here, because the symptoms are the threshold.

(B)few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
ANSWER: Awesome.

(C)there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
PROBLEM: Adjective "known" is now modifying "people", which is silly.

(D)after the clinical symptoms appear,there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
PROBLEM: Same as above, and the placement of the prep phrase "after..." is odd.

(E)recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear
PROBLEM: "Known for only a few people" doesn't make any sense. It's not that the recovery isn't known, but that few people are known to have recovered.

Hope that helps! The answer is definitely B.

-t
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM