Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 269

The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 22:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:58) correct 50% (01:05) wrong based on 137 sessions
The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency panel that would look at how to protect consumers while also make United States companies more competitive internationally

A. that would look at how to protect consumers while also make
B. that will look at the protection of consumers while also making
C. for looking at how to protect consumers while also making
D. that will look at how to protect consumers while also making
E. for looking at protecting consumers and also making
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Last edited by getgyan on 08 Oct 2012, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 12

Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 23:43
The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency panel that would look at how to protect consumers while also make United States companies more competitive internationally

D. that will look at how to protect consumers while also making

The sentence talks about simulanoues actions so use progressive tense.eliminate a. From parallelism eliminate b and d. Between c and e , c wins as it is more clear.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 269

Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 02:58
This post received
KUDOS
OA is +1 D

A - Use of would is incorrect since the sentence is in the present tense, so go with will instead. Make should be making since this is happening simultaneously with another activity
B – look at the protection of consumers distorts the meaning of the sentence
C – for looking is unidiomatic
E - for looking at protectin‘ is unidiomatic and awkward\

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 05:18
getgyan wrote:
OA is +1 D

A - Use of would is incorrect since the sentence is in the present tense, so go with will instead. Make should be making since this is happening simultaneously with another activity
B – look at the protection of consumers distorts the meaning of the sentence
C – for looking is unidiomatic
E - for looking at protectin‘ is unidiomatic and awkward\

:-D

Hi,

While also isn t awekward generally speaking? The meaning of while implies an 'also' meaning as well...
Can you give the source please?

Thank you.
Happy new year

R26

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 107

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 20:09
Anyone can throw some light on the 3:2 divide, i understand that is used for explaining the essential clause but the usage of for is still not out of place, is it? Will look at will become future tense and making becomes present perfect, so with that the correct answer is D but i feel there is a catch with that and for.

Cheers

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Gladly Making an attempt today

INSEAD SEPT 2015 Intake Thread

2015 PROFILES W/ ADMIT/DINGS RESULTS!!

8 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1262 [8] , given: 119

Premium Member
Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
farhanc85 wrote:
Anyone can throw some light on the 3:2 divide, i understand that is used for explaining the essential clause but the usage of for is still not out of place, is it? Will look at will become future tense and making becomes present perfect, so with that the correct answer is D but i feel there is a catch with that and for.

Cheers

Hi farhanc85

I'm glad to help.

D. that will look at how to protect consumers while also making ==> CORRECT

First split: "make" VS "making"
After "while" you have two options:
(1) "while" is subordinating conjunction, thus after "while" you must use a complete sentence. "While also make...." is short of subject, so this part cannot be a complete sentence. ==> A is out.
(2) if the part after while has the same subject, you can use "while + V-ing". For example: he does his job while talking on the phone.
B, C, D, E which say "while also making" ==> remain.

Second split: "that" vs "for"
"For" is incorrect preposition, the intended meaning is about the "plan" - the White house has set up a panel to look at...... Thus, "for" which means "because" is incorrect. ==> C, E are out.
"That" is correct modifier. B, D remain.

Third split: "look at the protection" vs "look at how to protect".
Clearly, the intended meaning is about the "plan" of the White house to protect consumers. The white house does not look at "the protection OF customers". B changes meaning.

Only D left. ==> CORRECT.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 107

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 10:46
pqhai wrote:
"For" is incorrect preposition, the intended meaning is about the "plan" - the White house has set up a panel to look at...... Thus, "for" which means "because" is incorrect. ==> C, E are out.

[

Hope it's clear.

Hi PG,
Thank you for the response.
In this question i agree the intended meaning is about the plan, For as a preposition can be used to indicate the use of something. "I am asking this question for some clarity." "This plan is for the underprivileged kids". I don't think here the intended meaning is because." For, this reason the plan was a failure"----here the" for" would sound more like because.

Although i got the answer through other splits, I think For over here is not completely wrong. For can be used as an intended use of the plan, which is looking at protecting consumers. Still some confusion with the 3:2 splits with regards to For and That in my brain :oops: Thanks for the other feedback though, used those to get the right answer.

Cheers
Farhan

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Gladly Making an attempt today

INSEAD SEPT 2015 Intake Thread

2015 PROFILES W/ ADMIT/DINGS RESULTS!!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1262 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 11:21
farhanc85 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

[

Hope it's clear.

Hi PG,
Thank you for the response.
In this question i agree the intended meaning is about the plan, For as a preposition can be used to indicate the use of something. "I am asking this question for some clarity." "This plan is for the underprivileged kids". I don't think here the intended meaning is because." For, this reason the plan was a failure"----here the" for" would sound more like because.

Although i got the answer through other splits, I think For over here is not completely wrong. For can be used as an intended use of the plan, which is looking at protecting consumers. Still some confusion with the 3:2 splits with regards to For and That in my brain :oops: Thanks for the other feedback though, used those to get the right answer.

Cheers
Farhan

Hi Farhan.

In fact, there are many ways to use preposition "for". We cannot remember them properly, so just focus on typical usages that Gmat usually tests. I'd like to share a very usefully article about "To Verb vs For Verb-ing" from egmat. You can learn how to eliminate wrong answers quickly..

to-verb-vs-for-verb-ing-144017.html

Hope it clears your doubt.

Best regards.

Pqhai.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 18

Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 04:27
I am not able to understand why "look at the protection of consumers" is not correct. As per my knowledge, "to look at something" means "to take care of something" but not sure of it though.

Can somone please elaborate on this.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2013, 04:27