Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Job preferences - some schools are more finance based, some are more consulting based - post MBA job scene....

alumni networks, social networking - some schools like an indivualistic approach, some prefer team work.

these 2 came in my mind
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
good point about the alumni network. That's one BIG reason why I am only applying to elite and above schools, for the flexibility of moving around the country if I need to after graduation and still have a good alumni presence.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would disagree on the geographic location bit as I dont think that carry a lot of weight. I think the response should be more focussed on a combination of:

1. Academics - what kind of 1st year core and electives offer and how that may be of interest to you. this may include classes, profs, educational seminars, etc.
2. what your career goals are as far as industry, recruiting companies that come to schools, placements for school. also may include networking opportunities, alum network, etc as well as clubs available that you can be a part of.

I am sure realistically geography of school plays a part but I would not advice on making it the numero uno reason...maybe just mention it as secondary reason.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
I haven't been able to talk to any alums. UCLA refused to give out any alum info. Stanford's alum association president said to talk to the adcom, and Haas I'm still waiting for a response.

If you want to get in touch with alumni, you should try local alumni chapters or cross check people on social networks (LinkedIn is great for that) with whichever company you work for. These options worked very well for me.

I was extremely pleasantly surprised by the spontaneous responses I received, and these guys' will to spend some time after work talking about their school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sweet, thanks CerealMBA! I will try Linked in and some Yahoo and Google groups.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:
I would disagree on the geographic location bit as I dont think that carry a lot of weight. I think the response should be more focussed on a combination of:

1. Academics - what kind of 1st year core and electives offer and how that may be of interest to you. this may include classes, profs, educational seminars, etc.
2. what your career goals are as far as industry, recruiting companies that come to schools, placements for school. also may include networking opportunities, alum network, etc as well as clubs available that you can be a part of.

I am sure realistically geography of school plays a part but I would not advice on making it the numero uno reason...maybe just mention it as secondary reason.

excellent points. Also remember that this is your chance to market yourself to their program. I would also add to the points above how you fit into them and what makes them appealing to you.

bad: The GAP program at Anderson sounds neat.

good: My experience working with engineers from all corners of the globe spurred my interest in working for a global IT company, such as Cisco Systems. The GAP program at Anderson is an important opportunity for me personally to segue from IT consulting to global business management and further hone my teambuilding and leadership skills.

Show what you're interested in, how the school fits with your plans and what you'll contribute as well.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]