Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 04:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:37) correct 17% (00:43) wrong based on 54 sessions
The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding ever since.

(A) that the universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding

(B) that the universe had begun in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and had been expanding

(C) that the beginning of the universe was an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago that has expanded

(D) the beginning of the universe to have been an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years agothat is expanding

(E) the universe to have begun in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding

The above (Opt A) is correct. 2 of the wrong options used the relative pronoun "that":
"... that the beginning of the universe was an explosive instant 10-20 billion years ago that has expanded"
"...the beginning of the universe to have been an explosive instant 10 to 20 billion years ago that is expanding"
In the first wrong choice above, the OG says that describes "instant" (which is illogical) but in the second, the OG says "that" refers to "beginning". Why does "that" refer to different things and when how can we tell to what it is referring? (I have tons of problems with "that"!)

Thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2424 [0], given: 693

Re: OG 13 SC 10: The widely accepted big bang [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 04:45
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Re: OG 13 SC 10: The widely accepted big bang [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 04:50
carcass wrote:
Please read the rules for posting rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks

Hi!

Thanks for your message. I did read the rules before but am not too clear which specific one you are referring to? Pls do clarify which of the 9 points I have infringed so I can make sure I don't do it again :) Thanks!

1. Use the Search Box Before Posting.
I have done so and found the same OG question several times. however, the ones I referenced were asking about a different component of the question, and some are pretty outdated, so I thought it would make more sense for everyone to start a new thread.

2. Choose the Right Forum.
Sc --> SC

3. Give a Topic Name (IMPORTANT).
I have done so, including the OG ref.

4. Post Only one Question per Topic.
Yup, one.

5. Do not Change the Question.
Whilst I did not type in the entire question, I did not change the relevant (to my question) parts.

6. TYPE the Question in as Text.
Done

7. Indicate the OA (Official Answer)
Indicated

8. Tag Your Questions.
Tagged

9. Avoid Short/Useless Posts (they will be deleted) and use the Kudos Button Instead.
NA
Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2424 [0], given: 693

Re: The widely accepted big bang theory holds [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 05:38
Expert's post
First of all writing OG 13th 13 q and then the title is not properly correct: OG and so on. generally is wise to write those references in the corp of the post OR in the title after. So is more clear (but generally the limited words of the title are reserved for the first string of the sentence)

Secondly. in your post there was
Quote:
The above (Opt A) is correct. 2 of the wrong options used the relative pronoun "that":
"... that the beginning of the universe was an explosive instant 10-20 billion years ago that has expanded"
"...the beginning of the universe to have been an explosive instant 10 to 20 billion years ago that is expanding"
In the first wrong choice above, the OG says that describes "instant" (which is illogical) but in the second, the OG says "that" refers to "beginning". Why does "that" refer to different things and when how can we tell to what it is referring? (I have tons of problems with "that"!)

How do someone can infer the exact context of the question, and the question itself ? for you is reasonable ??

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 14

Re: The widely accepted big bang theory holds [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding ever since.

(A) that the universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding
"That" is appropriate. "Began" and "has been" are the correct tense in parallelism. Contender

(B) that the universe had begun in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and had been expanding
"That" is appropriate. "had been expanding" changes meaning. It means to say that it is no longer expanding. Eliminate

(C) that the beginning of the universe was an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago that has expanded
"That the beginning" is OK. but the "was an explosive instant.." seems to modify universe and not the beginning. Eliminate.

(D) the beginning of the universe to have been an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years agothat is expanding
"That" is missing for "the beginning". "Billion years ago that..." seems to be modified by "is expanding". Eliminate

(E) the universe to have begun in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding
"That" is missing for "the universe". Wrong parallelism. "to have begun" Vs "Has been expanding". Eliminate
Intern
Intern

Re: The widely accepted big bang theory holds [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 07:21
carcass wrote:
First of all writing OG 13th 13 q and then the title is not properly correct: OG and so on. generally is wise to write those references in the corp of the post OR in the title after. So is more clear (but generally the limited words of the title are reserved for the first string of the sentence)

Secondly. in your post there was
Quote:

How do someone can infer the exact context of the question, and the question itself ? for you is reasonable ??

regards

Thanks for clarifying the issue. My intention was to boil down the statements to only the bits which my question was referencing, but perhaps that seemed clear to me only because I already had the OG in front of me. Noted on including the full question/ answers in OG questions in future.
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 67

Re: The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 06:49
tcsing wrote:

Thanks!

I have doubt regarding the construction of option A.
We know that Clause cannot be parallel to Phrase
When we check Option A.
Clause: the universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago
Phrase: has been expanding
Even if we add last part "ever since "to the phrase it wont become a clause....So pls explain how can option A be the correct answer.....

Archit
Re: The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2013, 06:49