Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 09:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:52) correct 32% (00:51) wrong based on 315 sessions
The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein, in response to a challenge to create a ghost story.

A. The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein, in response to a challenge to create a ghost story.
B. To create a ghost story, the wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein, in response to a challenge.
C. The world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein, the wife of the poet Shelly wrote in response to a challenge to create a ghost story.
D. Writing in response to a challenge to create a ghost story, the wife of the poet Shelly made the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein.
E. In response to a challenge to create a ghost story, the wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 23 May 2013, 09:58, edited 2 times in total.
Edited and added OA
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 09:24
Is it A?

I know B, C and D are awkward.,

Between A and E, A seems simpler and concise
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 14:06
Its between A and E
I choose "A".

To me, E seems to say that the ghost story us "the wife of poet Shelly..."
which is incorrect.

A. The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein, in response to a challenge to create a ghost story.
E. In response to a challenge to create a ghost story, the wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein.

"Forums are meant to benefit all. No one is interested in knowing what your guesses are. Please explain the reasoning behind the answer you chose. This will also help you organize your thoughts quickly during the exam."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 14:22
pb_india wrote:
Its between A and E
I choose "A".

To me, E seems to say that the ghost story us "the wife of poet Shelly..."
which is incorrect.

I read it the opposite way in response -> the wife wrote instead of the wife wore -> blah blah blah Frankenstein -> in responce
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 18:27
IMO, there is no difference between A & E. It is a style that the author adopts.

E creates an interest in what the author is going to say next
- hence I pick E
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Frankenstein [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 18:38
This post received
KUDOS
ngobaotrung wrote:
106.The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein, in response to a challenge to create a ghost story.

B. To create a ghost story, the wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein, in response to a challenge.
C. The world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein, the wife of the poet Shelly wrote in response to a challenge to create a ghost story.
D. Writing in response to a challenge to create a ghost story, the wife of the poet Shelly made the world-famous and increasingly relevant Gothic horror tale, Frankenstein.

between A and E I go with E because

1- E is simpler
2- The challenge came first then the ghost story is created.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 18:46
also between A and E

E sounds better :lol:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 20:41
OA is E, but I can't find any error in A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 20:47
I'll go with the crowd & pick E, though I find no flaw in A.

Suspence is created holding Frankenstein to the end
6 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 31 [6] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Misplaced modifier [#permalink] New post 13 May 2005, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS

A is wrong because " in response to a challenge to create a ghost story.
" should modify wife, not Frankestein, so it should not be placed the way it is.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 08:48
I too find no issues with A or E.

It's just that E sounds better.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 15:19
Can somebody explain why A is wrong ?

I feel that A is better than E because ", in response to a challenge to create a ghost story." correctly modifies the entire clause. Whereas in E it seems to incorrectly modify "The wife of the poet Shelly" which does not make sense to me. Indeed, "in response to a challenge to create a ghost story" refer to the action which was the "response" hereby to write the novel. The wife is not herself "in response of something". Can somebody clarify this point?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 04:28
Darmody wrote:
Can somebody explain why A is wrong ?

I feel that A is better than E because ", in response to a challenge to create a ghost story." correctly modifies the entire clause. Whereas in E it seems to incorrectly modify "The wife of the poet Shelly" which does not make sense to me. Indeed, "in response to a challenge to create a ghost story" refer to the action which was the "response" hereby to write the novel. The wife is not herself "in response of something". Can somebody clarify this point?

I think "In response to a challenge to create a ghost story" is a prepositional modifier. It can either modify the complete clause OR noun.
So I cannot rule out E as wrong.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 03:47
The wife cannot be in response to a challenge hence e is wrong , what is the source can some expert shed light here ?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Schools: Schulich '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 21

Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 09:44
I chose option A, in response to the question.

or should it be -

In response to the question, I chose option A.
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1166 [3] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 22:21
This post received
KUDOS
GPabla wrote:
I chose option A, in response to the question.

or should it be -

In response to the question, I chose option A.

Hi GPabla

A and E are quite different in meaning. Let see examples:

(1) I fixed my care in response to the bad weather
(2) In response to the bad weather, I fixed my car.

The first sentence means my car was broken because of the bad weather, so I had to fix it. The second sentence, however, means I forecast the weather would be bad (rainy, storm, etc...). To avoid accidence, I fixed (maintenance) my car.

Back to the question, E is much better. If you say "the wife....wrote the Frankenstein in respond to a challenge....". It's like the story Frankenstein VS a challenge. But if you say "In respond to a challenge, the wife of.... wrote the Frankenstein". The action "wrote" is conveyed much clearer.

Hence, E is correct.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 22:56
B C D are awkward

"In response to a challenge to create a ghost story" this beginning is relevant followed by "the wife" rather than in option A, where WIFE and RESPONSE are far away.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 10:41
Can someone please help to choose between A and E, how to rule out A- is there some rule for it. I am not getting it :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 10:49
Ans is E too easy for a 700 level ques
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 09:39
I am confused between A and E. In A, the placing "in response" seems correct as it is modifying the entire clause of writing the story. E seems correct because it is more logical to have the modifier clause at start than at end, however the placing of wife of poet Sally is causing the confusion of what is modified .. Can someone provide some insight on which one precedes or is correct?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: The wife of the poet Shelly wrote the world-famous and   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2013, 09:39