Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 902 [292]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [68]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [44]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [35]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
daagh,

Good work on this problem. One quick note about A,C, and E:

Although "in isolation from" is wordy, "wordy" isn't really a clear grammatical rule. I generally advise people to be a bit more specific when ruling out answer choices on the GMAT. If there is a clear grammatical rule (subject-verb agreement, pronoun ambiguity, parallelism, etc.) then always use that before crossing off an answer for "wordiness," "unclear meaning," or "concision." Using this strategy will increase accuracy during the test, but more importantly it will give studiers more direction in their studying because it will show them what grammatical rule they found (or didn't find) and
allow them to study that specific rule.

In this case, the specific rule related to A,C, and E is idioms. (see chapter 9 in the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Guide, if you have it). "Isolated from" is a correct idiom, but "in isolation from" is not.

If idioms are tough for anybody out there, make some flashcards. Like geometry, idioms simply have to be memorized.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 659 [23]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.
(A) in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than
(B) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than
(C) in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than were
(D) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were
(E) in isolation and without contacts with Europeans longer than

The first thing which should be on mind when we find out any
any comparison is that both comparators should be equal. Here "X than Y", so X=Y.
"Inuits were isolated" cannot be equal to "Inuits of NP". And if we do so we are comparing
an action ( being isolated ) with directly a noun. Which can never make sense. We have to compare actions here. Hence "than WERE .... " is needed to show that we are comparing the isolation factor for both Inuits.
Anyway, I saw one more interesting point in this Q. How to choose between "C" and "D". I really hate to get an answer -- "It is idiomatic!". I think idioms are goodie packs for native english speakers. Anyways. I think "in isolation from" is not idiomatic. I will love to see some grammatical explanation for the same.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:
Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning is that the Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than the Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska were.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Comparisons + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A comparison can only be made between similar things.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares the verb phrase "were in isolation from contact with Europeans" to the noun phrase "Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase "in isolation from contact", rendering it awkward and redundant.

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares the verb phrase "were isolated from contact with Europeans" to the noun phrase "Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

C: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase "in isolation from contact", rendering it awkward and redundant.

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "isolated from contact with Europeans", conveying the intended meaning - that the Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated specifically from Europeans. Further, Option D correctly compares the verb phrase "were isolated from contact with Europeans" and "were Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska". Additionally, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "in isolation and without contacts with Europeans"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated in general and had no contact with Europeans; the intended meaning is that the Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated specifically from Europeans. Further, Option E incorrectly compares the verb phrase "in isolation and without contacts with Europeans" to the noun phrase "Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things. Additionally, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase "in isolation and without contacts", rendering it awkward and redundant.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and Northern Alaska.
A) in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than
B) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than
C) in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than were
D) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were
E) in isolation and without contacts with Europeans longer than

The first split you're likely to notice is that between in isolation from and isolated from. Isolation is a noun, and in this sentence isolated is a modifier. The modifier is usually better than the noun in such circumstances, especially when the noun is an action noun such as isolation. Exceptions are common enough that I generally set that issue aside to look for another split. In fact, I generally consider all issues of concision last. But I have a fair degree of confience in this split, and so will eliminate A, C, and E.

The only difference between B and C is the word were in D. Grammatically, B is ambigious between Inuits were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than from contact with Aluets and Inuits were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aluets were isolated from contact from Europeans. D is unambiguous. Choose D.

A couple of additional points: First, for more info on choices among action nouns, modifiers, and verbs, see pages 207-211 of our Sentence Correction Strategy Guide. Second, B above may be no more ambiguous than are some right answers. It's only bevause of the split between B and D that we considered ambiguity here. You shouldn't go out hunting for it.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pakasaip wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
pakasaip wrote:
is the choice D can also be presented in this form?
" isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska were "

Yes that's correct; in fact, this is quite a common pattern.

so that I can swap the location of Subject and Verb anytime, right?

thank you for your help

Not always.... in most cases the swap would be very awkward and unacceptable, especially in a main clause starting with a subject.

However such a swap may be acceptable in the following cases:
1. In a comparative dependent clause (e.g.: in the example above)
2. In a main clause when the clause starts with a prepositional phrase. (e.g. Beside the river lay a green field.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [3]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I have shorted the options to C and D . The only reason i picked D is because . In GMAC grammar rules - as far as i know - Verb is preferred over noun.
So, IMO it must be D.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Nightmare wrote
Quote:
I have shorted the options to C and D. The only reason I picked D is because. In GMAC, grammar rules - as far as I know - Verb is preferred over noun.
So, IMO it must be D.

Nightmare has hit the bull's eye yet again... In GMAT, there is a rule known as 'VAN" meaning that first prefer the verb (V), then the adjective (A), and finally the noun (N). This is the rule that has decided in favor of D over C.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5581 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
HiGMATNinja, VeritasPrepKarishma

Don't you think, we should have "Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific FROM northern Alaska." in non underlined portion.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatbusters wrote:
HiGMATNinja, VeritasPrepKarishma

Don't you think, we should have "Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific FROM northern Alaska." in non underlined portion.

There's definitely nothing wrong with using "of" to indicate somebody's geographic origins, especially if we're talking about an entire group of people (or animals, such as the sloths "of the Greater Antilles...") who are in a particular location.

If we're being super-technical, "from" would arguably imply that you're no longer in that location, and have gone somewhere else. For the most part, there's no reason to say "I'm from Iowa" (stop laughing, Americans -- Iowa isn't that bad!) unless I'm either currently in a different location, or somebody in Iowa is giving me a funny look and asking me where I'm actually from, since I presumably don't look or sound like an Iowan.

Much more importantly: it's an absolute non-issue in the question, since "from" isn't one of the options! So there's no reason to even think about it. And more broadly, I'm not sure how valuable it is to obsess over idioms. They're pretty arbitrary, and there are more than 25,000 of them in English. More on idioms here.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:

https://www.penn.museum/sites/expedition/images-from-the-past/

Rather than tread farther out on this partic­ular patch of thin ice, I would like to venture in another direction, toward a possible expla­nation for the persistence of Palaeoeskimo art and religion in Bering Sea Eskimo culture. What factors might have been important in preserving these traditions in this particular region? Two, geography and ecology, are worthy of special consideration. Even in the late 18th and 19th centuries, Bering Sea Eskimos were isolated from contact with Euro­peans longer than were Aleuts or Eskimos of the North Pacific, Bering Strait, and north Alaska. This was why Nelson found the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta so rich in traditional culture. The reasons for this isolation have to do with the shallowness of the Bering Sea which made it difficult for European ships to approach the coast; the absence of stocks of commercially-exploitable whales and walrus; and the limited scale of a land-based European-Eskimo fur trade.

This has been disucussed on the forum many times. Please clarify my doubt about the comparison made in B and D.

Why is B incorrect?

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska (were isolated from contact with Europeans).

When should be use verb as is used in 'D' and when we can omit the verb as is done in 'B'. Please give your insight.

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 224
Page: 688

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 106
Page: 252

GMATNinja How could I have eliminated answer C without needing to memorize the idiom?

Thanks a lot! Just want to know if there would be other way around that answer since I'm a non-native speaker (I chose C between C and D)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos