Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
R: K
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 07:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

44% (02:28) correct 56% (01:08) wrong based on 54 sessions
The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, actually refers to the retribution that comes to bear against those who have committed an act of hubris, which is a prideful or haughty transgression of cultural norms.

Assuming the statements above are all true, a good example of a nemesis would be _____

A. A character who is punished by the god for a harmful act that was committed unintentionally
B. A powerful warrior who is sent to avenge the murder of the King’s nephew
C. The blinding of King whose unhappiness throughout his life was the result of a symbolic blindness
D. The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god
E. A parent who punishes her child for getting in trouble at school
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by CARK on 02 Feb 2014, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 160

Premium Member
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D
More of vocab question that's what I felt. Retribution,Act of Hubris :-O ...Anyways I understood the meaning from its context in the sentence.
'Nemesis' as given in stem: Retribution against those who committed an act of hubris, which is a prideful or haughty transgression of cultural norms.

Let's look at the options:

A. A character who is punished by the god for a harmful act that was committed unintentionally Out
B. A powerful worrier who is sent to avenge the murder of the King’s nephew. Not an act of hubris for sure, so not a Nemesis. Incorrect
C. The blinding of King whose unhappiness throughout his life was the result of a symbolic blindness. Incorrect. Not a Nemesis.
D. The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god. Hold on. A Nemesis indeed.
E. A parent who punishes her child for getting in trouble at school. Incorrect. Not a Nemesis for sure.

Hence we have D as our answer. Please post OE if you have as it will help. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 13:16
Wow, that's pretty tough. Do questions like this even appear on the GMAT?
Expert Post
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2297 [0], given: 692

Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 07:05
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 07:17
carcass wrote:
Abdul29 wrote:
Wow, that's pretty tough. Do questions like this even appear on the GMAT?

why do you think that this question is quite tough ??'

As a non-native, my vocabulary stash is not that big. Most of the times I manage to get the meaning of new words through the context; however in this one I couldn't. :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 141

Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 08:59
mba1382 wrote:
IMO D
More of vocab question that's what I felt. Retribution,Act of Hubris :-O ...Anyways I understood the meaning from its context in the sentence.
'Nemesis' as given in stem: Retribution against those who committed an act of hubris, which is a prideful or haughty transgression of cultural norms.

Let's look at the options:

A. A character who is punished by the god for a harmful act that was committed unintentionally Out
B. A powerful worrier who is sent to avenge the murder of the King’s nephew. Not an act of hubris for sure, so not a Nemesis. Incorrect
C. The blinding of King whose unhappiness throughout his life was the result of a symbolic blindness. Incorrect. Not a Nemesis.
D. The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god. Hold on. A Nemesis indeed.
E. A parent who punishes her child for getting in trouble at school. Incorrect. Not a Nemesis for sure.

Hence we have D as our answer. Please post OE if you have as it will help. Thanks.

Correct! If you understand these words, there is nothing in this question.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 56

Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 12:33
I feel dumb with this question.

What exactly does this mean?

"The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god". I am not sure if this sentence is formed correctly.

Can someone please elaborate?

Also, in B. Does the word worrier indicate someone who worries? or is it a typo for warrior?

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2014, 12:33